Feeder safety concern, looking for your opinion

MaceFremonti

The load in the original post's picture is EXTRA safe already....it has an extra block behind the dolly's rear bulkhead..... here they only chock the tires!

Brown Now

Usually the blocks of wood are nailed into the trailer floor. Wrecker loads them in there and secures every few with blocks of wood nailed to the floor. They're not going anywhere. Heavy trailer though. Definitely need to pull with a tandem.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I used to work for a freight company where we moved whole other small tractors that way. We backed the trailer into the shop to the 4 post lift and rolled them out.

moldsporh

Wow......well, based on the pic. ...if you ever did hit the brakes in a panic stop or worst case collided with something, the only thing that would worry me would be the tongue coming through the front od the trailer if the front dolly is facing forward. That would be alot of force on such a small area and would surely come right through the front of the trailer.

UPS should design a jig that secures the front dolly to the front of the trailer floor. What you want to minimize is momentum if they start rolling.

FeeDerp

The front dolly is tipped up and leaning against the nose of the trailer, and each dolly after that is resting up against the dolly in from of it.

If each dolly was pushed up against each other tight, (as they should be) then you would only need one set of chocks or braces on the rear most dolly to keep it secured.

Happens all the time in the freight/ltl scene

UPS4Life

Why not just leave air in the tank and lock the brake?
That would be great but how much of a sudden stop is it going to take or getting into an accident where you stop and the wheels slide on the wood and come right through the cab? The last thing I want to worry about is getting killed by my own Dolly's. Like the previous poster said they should have D hooks mounted in the floor so you can chain them down but nobody seems to care about safety when it costs time and money.

EasyTrucker

That would be great but how much of a sudden stop is it going to take or getting into an accident where you stop and the wheels slide on the wood and come right through the cab? The last thing I want to worry about is getting killed by my own Dolly's. Like the previous poster said they should have D hooks mounted in the floor so you can chain them down but nobody seems to care about safety when it costs time and money.
It's called momentum driver. If those dollys are tight against front of trailer and all brakes are on, like they are supposed to be, there is no way they could bust thru the front of the trailer. You just need to make sure there is air in the tanks to set the brakes.

Johney

It's called momentum driver. If those dollys are tight against front of trailer and all brakes are on, like they are supposed to be, there is no way they could bust thru the front of the trailer. You just need to make sure there is air in the tanks to set the brakes.
Thank you.

moldsporh

Correct me if I'm wrong....but I understand the dollies weigh between 2800 and 3000 lbs each....that's some serious force if they break free.