Feeder training for CDL Holders

ManInBrown

Training here, for someone without a CDL, is done all in house. 2 weeks. 1st week is unpaid and you’ll have your CDL at the end of the week if you pass. Our ORS administer the test. Never need to go to an outside school or test at the DMV.
Wow, that’s crazy. So UPS on road supervisors are certified to Decide whether of not someone gets a state issued CDL? How is that even possible? How does that not bring up all types of compromising situations? What if it’s a package driver, and they don’t want any package drivers at the time, and would rather hire a street driver? Here they can do that. Here they can hire out of order and down the line they adjust seniority dates. Package and feeder are separate here, and almost all package drivers get their seniority dates adjusted to an earlier date when they should have been called up. Mine got pushed back 11 months. How is UPS certified to hand out CDL licenses? Even the schools they send us to here don’t have that capability. They train us, take us to DMV, and they administer the test.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Wow, that’s crazy. So UPS on road supervisors are certified to Decide whether of not someone gets a state issued CDL? How is that even possible? How does that not bring up all types of compromising situations? What if it’s a package driver, and they don’t want any package drivers at the time, and would rather hire a street driver? Here they can do that. Here they can hire out of order and down the line they adjust seniority dates. Package and feeder are separate here, and almost all package drivers get their seniority dates adjusted to an earlier date when they should have been called up. Mine got pushed back 11 months. How is UPS certified to hand out CDL licenses? Even the schools they send us to here don’t have that capability. They train us, take us to DMV, and they administer the test.
I think they used to do that in a lot of places. They don't do it that way here now but when I first went to feeders I talked to a couple old timers who got certified by UPS supervisors.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
2 of our on roads are state certified. You will be trained for a week then one of the state certified sups administers your test. Don’t know how/why they are able to do it, that’s above my pay grade. I will tell you this, they are HIGHLY selective. 3 out of 10 pass. We have a high fail rate.

ManInBrown

2 of our on roads are state certified. You will be trained for a week then one of the state certified sups administers your test. Don’t know how/why they are able to do it, that’s above my pay grade. I will tell you this, they are HIGHLY selective. 3 out of 10 pass. We have a high fail rate.
That’s unbelievable. And the union is Ok with that? Where I am, they detest package drivers Coming to feeder. They want us all to go back. When we come up they immediately point out all the negative differences between feeder and package. Horrible hours, the worst equipment in the fleet. Also it’s very naive to think feeders doesn’t sniff around to find out exactly what they are getting themselves into And what type of employee you are. How is the union basically OK with letting feeder management decide who stays and who goes? Like I posted before here, everything is outside, you get your license, you get a date to report and you’re in. You cannot be disqualified by UPS. Only the employee can decide it’s not for them. That’s the way it should be.

Last edited:

quad decade guy

The same way our hazmat program is certified. Our company is really big. Believe it or not.......we still and always have had a lot of carte blanche and self-certifying latitude.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

8A7ABDA0-B972-4D5D-9C6E-49361B684A82.jpeg

The empire does as the empire pleases
Don’t ask questions

barnyard

KTM rider
The last guy that went to feeder school in my building had his CDL already. He did the the 2 weeks of training just like anyone else.

quad decade guy

That’s unbelievable. And the union is Ok with that? Where I am, they detest package drivers Coming to feeder. They want us all to go back. When we come up they immediately point out all the negative differences between feeder and package. Horrible hours, the worst equipment in the fleet. Also it’s very naive to think feeders doesn’t sniff around to find out exactly what they are getting themselves into And what type of employee you are. How is the union basically OK with letting feeder management decide who stays and who goes? Like I posted before here, everything is outside, you get your license, you get a date to report and you’re in. You cannot be disqualified by UPS. Only the employee can decide it’s not for them. That’s the way it should be.
So the feeder dept(this includes all of us...mgt/hourly) has to accept some dangerous a whole? Really?

Someone like the Fed Ex driver in the 130 vehicle pile up? We have to have them...no exceptions?

Wow.

Ive been told that I’m going into feeders. I have a Class A w/ T endorsement already. I’m wondering what the process and expectation is going to be like. I’m being told I won’t have a training school because I have my CDL already. From reading here I thought feeder school was two weeks long, and a week long if you already have a CDL. Has that changed now? They told me it’s actually a 30 day qualification period. The feeder drivers in my center told me you lose points for things like not getting the trailer perfect on the dock or in between the lines or something.

I haven’t done a pre trip on a Class 8 tractor in years, other than some shifting in our yard I haven’t used a 10 speed in several years as well, I have never built a set of doubles before either. I know the basics on how to build and break down sets, just maybe not 100% by the book. Basically my concern is that I’m going to go in with all of the qualifications but none of the experience and get failed for it.

I can drive the trucks and park the trailers, I’m FT RPCD now but regularly fill in to shift the yard for our preload and move trailers for our night sort when needed. I remember how strict everything was at Integrad, worried that going into feeder qualifying will be the same standards and intensity of package qualifying without any of the training.

Realistically I have no concerns about being able jump in a tractor, connect a trailer, drive it to its destination and get it on the door. However, I’ve been at UPS long enough to know it can’t be that simple and that there will be many new rules, processes, and methods to learn. I was going to ask my center manager to spend a Saturday practicing but we don’t even have any manual tractors anymore. I can drive a manual car but haven’t touched a splitter in awhile. I even thought about trying to get a ride along with one of our feeder drivers but I doubt UPS would allow such a thing.

I have a feeling that I’m getting some inaccurate information, and that there is some type of training before qualifying, which is why I’m asking the experts here. Any input would be appreciated.

I'm in the west, I had a guy with his CDL in my feeder class. He just fast-tracked to the company's style of pretrip and worked on building sets while the rest of us did normal week 1 training crap. Then we all did an OJT type of week for week 2.

*Memorize 5s and 10s verbally

*Memorize visual and verbal Tractor and Trailer pre trip

*Don't get too comfortable just because you already have your CDL. If they don't like you, they will disqualify you. I don't care what anyone says, they will find a way. So stay humble.

*Building sets will be focused after you pass.

* Don't get into an accident and no late loads. Good luck.