Feeder Work Question

705red

Browncafe Steward
Now if i have read this thread right av8 has said that they have belts that run into the trailers and this is how the volume gets into the trailers with temp agency employees doing the loading. Now i have seen this before when i worked at W.W. Grainger and these packages are loaded likle any onther ups trailer, loose and stacked on the floor not on skids.

If these packages are on skids i could see your argument but if they are stacked on the floor than its not freights work.

If they are on skids and get processed at a freight barn i "might" be able to see it. I understand that freight would then break down the skids and forward it on to small package.

Please correct me if im wrong.

av8torntn

Now if i have read this thread right av8 has said that they have belts that run into the trailers and this is how the volume gets into the trailers with temp agency employees doing the loading. Now i have seen this before when i worked at W.W. Grainger and these packages are loaded likle any onther ups trailer, loose and stacked on the floor not on skids.

Grainger is the perfect example as to why I feel we as feeder drivers can do this work just as effectively or even more so than a LTL guy. At our Grainger they were shipping a fairly good amount by DHL. Our sales rep finally made it in to find out why. Turns out they were shipping everything going south of us by dhl and they were trucking it to their hub in that direction. We offered them a discount if they would load those same areas on a separate UPS trailer. We now have a run where our feeder driver picks up the trailer at Grainger and takes it to our hub.

For those of you saying we are not allowed to handle any freight I am guessing that you don't see many williams sonoma/pottery barn loads. We have four huge warehouses of theirs here and some of their furniture is by no means considered small packages. We have had some things that I know would not fit in a package car.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Pottery barn comes out of your area? Look man please go in there and lose us that account! I am so sick of delivering kids drawers and beds, that should be freight due to the size, i cant get some of that stuff out my side door.

But its ok for freight to move 3000 1lb packages, sounds like the typical ups doesnt have a clue reasoning.

Jk about losing that account no im not, yes i am.

some1else

Banned
[You can not force UPS to suddenly start moving freight through its small package system when they do not have the expertise or capabilities to do so. .

im no manager but i think if you pick the packages up from the skid and set them on a belt our system will make do. especially the way volume is now why dont you try to find a local sort that will turn down 3000pkgs becuase they are sitting on skids.

lol you say some dumb stuff

tieguy

Banned
im no manager but i think if you pick the packages up from the skid and set them on a belt our system will make do. especially the way volume is now why dont you try to find a local sort that will turn down 3000pkgs becuase they are sitting on skids.

lol you say some dumb stuff

I know I was speaking contract this time. :happy-very: It is some pretty dumb stuff.

The work going from Pallet to belt is already UPS's . The discussion involves what happens before it goes from skid to belt. The discussion involved what happens when the shipper makes a decision on how he will tender the packages to UPS. The argument for sub-contracting centered on how UPS influences the decision the customer makes.

I was discussing the complexities of the current competitive situation. The integration of new services. The difficulties we have in determing how the new services tie into current contractual language. The fact that there may not be enough clarity defining who the work belongs to.

You can attack me if it makes you feel better about your own pitifull status in life but it really does not discuss the relevant issues of this discussion since I was not personally responsible for writing nor negotiating the current contract.

Try to keep up , I would hate to see you say some dumb stuff.:happy-very:

tieguy

Banned
Grainger is the perfect example as to why I feel we as feeder drivers can do this work just as effectively or even more so than a LTL guy. At our Grainger they were shipping a fairly good amount by DHL. Our sales rep finally made it in to find out why. Turns out they were shipping everything going south of us by dhl and they were trucking it to their hub in that direction. We offered them a discount if they would load those same areas on a separate UPS trailer. We now have a run where our feeder driver picks up the trailer at Grainger and takes it to our hub.

For those of you saying we are not allowed to handle any freight I am guessing that you don't see many williams sonoma/pottery barn loads. We have four huge warehouses of theirs here and some of their furniture is by no means considered small packages. We have had some things that I know would not fit in a package car.

Maybe I misunderstood your previous post. I thought you made the point that this was a freight type movement and that you had 8 doors in your building where you could sort out skids of freight.

amclain

When you sign the end of day, simply cross out the "3000" and write "30" and then legibly sign your name both where you normally sign and then below where you changed the number. You can also ask them to run separate end-of-days, one for you and the other for the freight driver.

As far as this diversion, I have little experience in this area and therefore will not comment.

I sugguest that you protest signing for 3000 and you only load 30 with grievance because you are falsified you pickup records.

Also contract the local union in your area and request they file a grievance in violation of ARticle 1 concerning the Company of deverting small package volume to a third party.

tieguy

Banned
If these packages are on skids i could see your argument but if they are stacked on the floor than its not freights work.

I understand your point , but I'm not sure that there is any classic definition of what is our work based on pallets and floor loading. I would think we would have to know the entire operating plan and why the shipper is moving it as freight.

tieguy

Banned
I sugguest that you protest signing for 3000 and you only load 30 with grievance because you are falsified you pickup records.

Also contract the local union in your area and request they file a grievance in violation of ARticle 1 concerning the Company of deverting small package volume to a third party.

Wouldn't he be setting a precedence. Don't we have accounts already with multiple pickups where one driver signs the end of day?

gandydancer

...as an example, Lets say you pick up a 70 lbs next day air package going cross country, now lets say when they deliver the package the person there opens the package and hands the driver 70 1 lbs ground package with 1zs on them already as a pickup stop. total shipment for the 70 "2day air packs" is 960 doing it this way. It would have cost the costumer $1675 to ship 70 1 lbs 2nd day air packages cross country from zip 10001 to 97001. This saved the customer $715 dollars in shipping fess. Are you going to tell the customer he cant do that?

The real scenario is that a !UPS! account manager is telling the customer that UPS will give him a better price if he ships the 43 70-pounders by UPSF than if he ships them by UPS, then he wants our driver to sign for them as a quick-and-dirty method for the sales guy to get credit for the volume while the bigger suits work on a way to make his bright idea into a regular sales program, complete with brochures and spiffs and bonuses for the sales force.

Need to stamp on this now.

tieguy

Banned
The real scenario is that a !UPS! account manager is telling the customer that UPS will give him a better price if he ships the 43 70-pounders by UPSF than if he ships them by UPS, then he wants our driver to sign for them as a quick-and-dirty method for the sales guy to get credit for the volume while the bigger suits work on a way to make his bright idea into a regular sales program, complete with brochures and spiffs and bonuses for the sales force.

Need to stamp on this now.

Economy is tanking and you want to try to tell shippers they can't use creative means to reduce shipping costs. You then want to alibi it by saying UPS is telling the customer how he should be shipping his packages or make that argument that we should be. Either case is a bad move.

Gandy I don't blame you for thinking the way you do. I think we as a company probably need to do a better job of explaining the challenges of the business and why shippers do some of the things they do.

gandydancer

...Customers have been drop shipping their packages into UPS hubs forever. The point that they decided to use UPSFreight this time does not suddenly mean that UPS is subcontracting...

It's a small part of the volume, but we get pallets in all the time, on Brown trucks. I don't care whether that volume is carried by package or feeder, if UPS's salesforce offers to do it cheaper by UPSF, that's volume that needs to be embargoed. The issue here isn't the customers "decision" to take a lower price if it's offered him, but UPS's decision to offer it.

some1else

Banned
You can attack me if it makes you feel better about your own pitifull status in life but it really does not discuss the relevant issues of this discussion

Where did you learn that an ad hominem attack is relevant to any discussion? My "pitifull" education taught me that use of ad hominem attacks in debate is often a sign of something; can you guess what it is?

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Where did you learn that an ad hominem attack is relevant to any discussion? My "pitifull" education taught me that use of ad hominem attacks in debate is often a sign of someting; can you guess what it is?
A small ting?
my ting a ling, my ting a ling,
my ting a ling is the cutest ting

av8torntn

Maybe I misunderstood your previous post. I thought you made the point that this was a freight type movement and that you had 8 doors in your building where you could sort out skids of freight.

That was an answer to a what if in a fantasy world type question that had nothing to do with what is actually happening. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

av8torntn

Wouldn't he be setting a precedence. Don't we have accounts already with multiple pickups where one driver signs the end of day?

To be clear the problem I had with signing for these packages was that I knew that I nor any other UPS driver was picking them up. Also to be clear if I sign an end of day summary for say 1248 packages I am not there all day to verify that they are on the trailer or not. The trailer is full. I never really gave it much thought before.

The solution from management is to just sign my name and draw a line through the part where you would fill in the number of packages picked up.

tieguy

Banned
It's a small part of the volume, but we get pallets in all the time, on Brown trucks. I don't care whether that volume is carried by package or feeder, if UPS's salesforce offers to do it cheaper by UPSF, that's volume that needs to be embargoed. The issue here isn't the customers "decision" to take a lower price if it's offered him, but UPS's decision to offer it.

and there is where it gets sticky. UPS offering a lower price for different services is not an intent to subcontract. Customer still makes the decision to do so. Contract does not cover the customers decision making process.

At this point my arguments been speculative. I can't really answer the points of this setup without knowing a lot more about their operating plan.