fellow upser having trouble

bluecycle

hello hope im in the correct forum, i have a fellow worker that i used to work with before my retirement that is having some issues and would like some advice for him.

He has developed a drinking problem over time and has been to rehab at least 4 times that i know of. He is still employed by ups but im not sure how long that will last, i have been trying to establish how many years he has with ups but he is hard to find sober anymore.

I think he has 26 or 27 years with the company , has quite a bit in his 401k and has quite a bit of stock, im not sure what he would be entitled to at this stage of his career as far as retirement, i know since i left there have been a couple of additions to the pension at a certain year, i think anyway.

his only family is a brother whom i know and i told his brother he should contact the pension, 401k and stock plans and see where he stands financially, im not sure he can get that info but we might try and have him sober up for a few days and make some calls.

sorry to ramble on just looking for any suggestions as to how to make this work, we have even talked about going on disability but im not sure how that would work.

Thanks

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
hello hope im in the correct forum, i have a fellow worker that i used to work with before my retirement that is having some issues and would like some advice for him.

He has developed a drinking problem over time and has been to rehab at least 4 times that i know of. He is still employed by ups but im not sure how long that will last, i have been trying to establish how many years he has with ups but he is hard to find sober anymore.

I think he has 26 or 27 years with the company , has quite a bit in his 401k and has quite a bit of stock, im not sure what he would be entitled to at this stage of his career as far as retirement, i know since i left there have been a couple of additions to the pension at a certain year, i think anyway.

his only family is a brother whom i know and i told his brother he should contact the pension, 401k and stock plans and see where he stands financially, im not sure he can get that info but we might try and have him sober up for a few days and make some calls.

sorry to ramble on just looking for any suggestions as to how to make this work, we have even talked about going on disability but im not sure how that would work.

Thanks
Is he a driver

bluecycle

With that many years in he should have some type of pension
If he’s into the juice as bad as you make it not sure if retirement’s a good idea
i think he will have some sort of pension, i would agree that spare time probably wont be his friend but im worried about him continuing to work given his condition thanks

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
i think he will have some sort of pension, i would agree that spare time probably wont be his friend but im worried about him continuing to work given his condition thanks
Yeah if he’s drinking on the job this isn’t going to end well
You need to do what you have to too get him off the road

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.

Thanks
Try to get him to a rehab. If he won’t go, well, you tried. Even if he can retire he’s gonna drink himself to death. Probably faster, report him if necessary. He’s a danger to himself and others,

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
Try to get him to a rehab. If he won’t go, well, you tried. Even if he can retire he’s gonna drink himself to death. Probably faster, report him if necessary. He’s a danger to himself and others,
He’s been through spin dry 4 times already.. it’s a lost cause, the claws are in too deep.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.

Thanks
27 years full time? That’s actually impressive he’s been able to hold down job this long.

UnionStrong

He’s been through spin dry 4 times already.. it’s a lost cause, the claws are in too deep.
I know 2 guys that just walked away from driving because of booze. Just never came back, I heard they never responded to the local either. Both had over 10 years driving. Terrible illness.

trickpony1

You could try an EOD (emergency order of detention) and subsequent treatment but an EOD will follow him the rest of his life.

quad decade guy

27 years of what? If a lot part-time....may not have much of anything.

It would seem.....that much time in, he knows exactly the situation. Lot of info left out here. He could be really young and retiring could be the worst thing for him.

WE HAVE GUYS/GALS DISAPPEAR FOR MONTHS AT A TIME....MANY HAVING "SPA" DAYS.....FMLA.

If he is that bad a drunk and UPS puts him on road.....that's hard to believe. Knew a guy(fellow pkg driver) that eventually lived under a bridge and passed away before his 50's. That sounds more like it.

Retiring might be the worst option....for him....not the rest of the public.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Seems to me as his friend, and his brother should also try to find out why he is drinking so much and what does "he" think he should do. He apparently functions as a working alcoholic. Does not mean he drinks on the job. Some alcoholics plan their drinking. Not just at UPS but many people live their lives this way. He has held his job this long, I think he knows its a downhill slide, and you cannot change him. Having people to care is a big help in recovery, but he has to want it and do it, and with 4 trips to rehab, I do not know how much more UPS is willing to try.

UnionStrong

With 4 trips to rehab he is probably acquainted with disulfiram so I guess I won't suggest it.
Antabuse probably ain’t gonna do it at this point. He’d probably drink while taking it! He definitely needs to want to stop, and it doesn’t seem like he wants it bad enough yet.
There are those unfortunates that never get sober.