Finally some good news

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Desalination is beside the point, and it’s not zombie meat.

If we skipped the 1800 gallons of water needed to produce one pound of real beef, we’d be in a much better place regarding our water consumption.

Beef is beef.

We’re not there yet, but we will be.

Reminds me of Blade Runner, with the guy in the cold room before Roy Batty kills him...

“I just do eyes”...

The future will be as boring as the present, except we’ll be eating insect tacos and lab-meat.

I mean, could lab-meat be any more horrific and inefficient than ‘real’ meat?
Dude, beef is not all the same.
Somebody who inhales Big Macs might not notice but I go to a local butcher shop when I want to eat beef. I pay a premium and it's worth it.

I'm not disagreeing with you I'm just saying, if this lab meat can get to scale and be economically viable, poor people are gonna be the ones eating it.

BrownArmy

..I'm not disagreeing with you I'm just saying, if this lab meat can get to scale and be economically viable, poor people are gonna be the ones eating it.

No doubt, that and the insect tacos.

Realistically, we’re not there yet.

But we will be, and there’s no point in vat-growing lame meat.

Just as easy to lab-grow Kobi beef as it would be grow the hamberders our POTUS enjoys...

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
No
Just as easy to lab-grow Kobi beef as it would be grow the hamberders our POTUS enjoys...
I'm not so sure it's just as easy.
Even setting aside the scientific hurdles, the marketing challenges might be a killer.

The meat industry is already fighting legislatively with the FDA to prevent companies like Beyond Meat to market it's product alongside real meat.

Meat companies see how almond, pea, soy and coconut milk have cut into the dairy market's profits. They're not gonna stand by silently.

vantexan

No doubt, that and the insect tacos.

Realistically, we’re not there yet.

But we will be, and there’s no point in vat-growing lame meat.

Actually the super high quality Kobi beef comes from very spoiled cows. Unless you going to grow the beef in beer and massage it you aren't going to simulate the real deal.

It will be fine

Actually the super high quality Kobi beef comes from very spoiled cows. Unless you going to grow the beef in beer and massage it you aren't going to simulate the real deal.
Once they’re good enough, they’ll be able to grow the fat just as accurately as the muscle. Eventually lab grown will be better than the dead cows.

It will be fine

I wonder if vegans will give in and eat meat then?
I’d give it a shot. Can’t imagine it would be a staple of my diet. The impossible burger is a bit unsettling to me because it’s too close for me to believe it’s fake. Lab meat doesn’t involve death or have the environmental impact but it’s still not a healthy choice.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I’d give it a shot. Can’t imagine it would be a staple of my diet. The impossible burger is a bit unsettling to me because it’s too close for me to believe it’s fake. Lab meat doesn’t involve death or have the environmental impact but it’s still not a healthy choice.
The impossible burger and beyond meat stuff is complete garbage nutritionally. Better off eating red meat than that crap.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Guy, real red meat isn’t all that great for you.

Is fake meat better?

No, but it ain’t worse.
So it's not better nutritionally and doesn't taste as good. Ok then. I guess there's a lot of money to be made from tricking people into thinking they're doing something healthy.

oldngray

nowhere special
I think the point is it’s better for the planet.

If they grow real meat in a lab, it’s gonna be meat.
th.jpg