Fired for bringing back unscanned packages

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'll tell you one thing-----if this were me I would come back and be the most stringent "by the book" driver they had every seen. No more favors. No more closing out my own package car. Break between the 1st and 3rd and lunch between the 3rd and the 5th. Orion 100% compliance----no exceptions.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I'll tell you one thing-----if this were me I would come back and be the most stringent "by the book" driver they had every seen. No more favors. No more closing out my own package car. Break between the 1st and 3rd and lunch between the 3rd and the 5th. Orion 100% compliance----no exceptions.

Why aren't you doing that now?

Returntosender

Ok, playing devil's advocate here.

Could this be a case where the acting center manager went way overboard in walking him out, knowing full well once the grievance was brought the termination would be tossed faster than a Nolan Ryan fastball? Doubling down with this line of thought, at 14 hours on road this driver more than likely would not have the required 10 hours off duty before his scheduled start time to allow him to drive the next day.

I still do not in anyway agree or condone the screwing with this man's head and emotions nor the criminal emotional assault that this inflicts upon his family!
Are you saying he will do a Alabama shooting of the boss ?

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Still feels like there's something missing in this story...
image.jpeg

35years

Gravy route
Does not sound like there is anything missing in the story to me.
The inexperienced acting center manager didn't know what he was doing, he is a hard ass, and dishonest...I have had managers of this type.

The directive to not sheet miss-loads as missed might have come from the prior center manager who was recently transferred. The acting center manager may not have known (or may claim ignorance) about the directive not to sheet. The instruction to sheet with separate DIAD is the smoking gun that management was trying to bury them. We had the same directive (no sheeting as missed unless directed to do so). I sheet them as missed and send them an additional text stating that I am doing so.

The acting center manager seemed not to know the driver told his on car that he would probably not be able to run them, and initially seemed unaware the driver also notified the center.
My question to the OP would be...

When you sent in the miss-loads did you initially respond Y to the prompt "can you deliver"? If so, the driver still informed his on car later on. The on car may deny meeting the driver to take the school pkgs. to avoid a grievance over that issue.

Sounds like the management team is going to try to deny that a "don't sheet till instructed to" policy existed. the OP should be finding other drivers immediately that will state they were instructed to do the same.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
What's the whole deal with the different Diad? Sometimes they'll throw a 200 piece bulk stop on my truck and I have to scan those with a different Diad...or sometimes when I have to go back out and help they gimme a different board...wtf for

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
Well yea I get that but how does it make numbers any different cause it's scanned with a different board? You think I give a damn!!!? Roll damn tide!!!!

kingOFchester

Well yea I get that but how does it make numbers any different cause it's scanned with a different board? You think I give a damn!!!? Roll damn tide!!!!

Sup/acting manager, probably thought he could hide them in center board. He got called out from someone above and then was asked "what are you going to do about this driver"

Prediction. Driver will be offered time served no pay, or we will take it to panel where you could potentially be fired. Driver will take deal.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sup/acting manager, probably thought he could hide them in center board. He got called out from someone above and then was asked "what are you going to do about this driver"

Prediction. Driver will be offered time served no pay, or we will take it to panel where you could potentially be fired. Driver will take deal.

I would normally say take the deal but not in this case. If everything the OP said is correct then he was wrongfully terminated and should demand not only his job back but full back pay as well.

trickpony1

I would normally say take the deal but not in this case. If everything the OP said is correct then he was wrongfully terminated and should demand not only his job back but full back pay as well.

....and when/if the union process collapses the OP can pursue it legally and, hopefully, be comfortable the rest of his life.

trickpony1

I agree on the "slam dunk" but, over the years, the union side of the panel, for some odd reason, can't seem to discern right from wrong, good from bad and, hence, the overwhelming fear the grievant could be fired over some "under the table" dealings.

It shouldn't be this way.