Fired for Misloads

PT Package

PT Package
Hello Guys My name is *. I started working at UPS in July and was having a hard time with misloads. I was new so it was understandable. I was getting better at it as time went on. Here in the city of cypress, California I had 3 trucks a day with about 750-800 packages. There was a day where I had 10 misloads. A week went by and my misloads went from 10 down to 2 a day. It seemed like my supervisors wanted me gone. I was proud that my misloads were down but I had “talks” privately with my sups maybe 3 or four times. I called out sick one day because I had an ear infection and the pain was to much. The next day I came to work on time like I always did. I felt terrible. My ear was hurting. My stomach was churning because of my meds. I let my supervisors know that I could not concentrate on my work. I kept going back and forth from the restroom to do my business because my stomach. Turns out the next day I had 11 misloads instead of my usual 2 or 3 a day. he takes me into his office and terminates my job because of my misloads problem. I was only there for less than 2 months. He stated that he could not continue this and he had to let me go. I got verbal warning but never signed a paper, never had a steward present. I’m now fired and looking for a job and don’t know what to do. I told him I was doing my best and that day I was sick and even explained to him that I was sick, but he pointed out my 2 misloads a day and said that was the reason. He always seemed to single me out. He yelled at me for working too slow, people on my pen(row) listener to music with headphones but he told me I couldn’t listen to it. He told me that my working tactics were terrible even though people on my PENN did the same thing. Asking for help from fellow UPSers. Thank you. Also never got a notification for getting written up and fellow coworkers on my penn would have the same daily 2-3 misloads and they never got yelled at.

Last edited by a moderator:

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Hello Guys My name is *. I started working at UPS in July and was having a hard time with misloads. I was new so it was understandable. I was getting better at it as time went on. Here in the city of cypress, California I had 3 trucks a day with about 750-800 packages. There was a day where I had 10 misloads. A week went by and my misloads went from 10 down to 2 a day. It seemed like my supervisors wanted me gone. I was proud that my misloads were down but I had “talks” privately with my sups maybe 3 or four times. I called out sick one day because I had an ear infection and the pain was to much. The next day I came to work on time like I always did. I felt terrible. My ear was hurting. My stomach was churning because of my meds. I let my supervisors know that I could not concentrate on my work. I kept going back and forth from the restroom to do my business because my stomach. Turns out the next day I had 11 misloads instead of my usual 2 or 3 a day. he takes me into his office and terminates my job because of my misloads problem. I was only there for less than 2 months. He stated that he could not continue this and he had to let me go. I got verbal warning but never signed a paper, never had a steward present. I’m now fired and looking for a job and don’t know what to do. I told him I was doing my best and that day I was sick and even explained to him that I was sick, but he pointed out my 2 misloads a day and said that was the reason. He always seemed to single me out. He yelled at me for working too slow, people on my pen(row) listener to music with headphones but he told me I couldn’t listen to it. He told me that my working tactics were terrible even though people on my PENN did the same thing. Asking for help from fellow UPSers. Thank you. Also never got a notification for getting written up and fellow coworkers on my penn would have the same daily 2-3 misloads and they never got yelled at.
You’ll get your job back

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member

OP, I'm not actually sure you can get your job back. Reason being, you aren't yet a seniority employee.

At least for my local, seasonal hire period ends labor day. So you were hired as a seasonal, and would not have gotten your 30 days in after that period ended.

What day were you let go?
Could be that if they ended you when the seasonal period ended, you weren't "technically" fired, just not rehired.

You need someone with more contract knowledge than me on this one though.

@542thruNthru , @Bubblehead , @BigUnionGuy does this guy actually have a shot at getting his job back?

barnyard

KTM rider
At least for my local, seasonal hire period ends labor day. So you were hired as a seasonal, and would not have gotten your 30 days in after that period ended.

Depends on the local. I was hired June 30 and my seniority date is Sept. All of the this year's summer temps that were asked to stay have September 3 seniority days.

If the Op has not had progressive discipline, he may be able to get his job back. This far into the game and still have 10 misloads is ridiculous though. The new scanners have almost eliminated them in my building, even with new loaders.

If he didn't gain seniority, he has no recourse.

If he did.... and is still within the contractual time limits to file a grievance,

he has a shot.
Doesn't the Union have a responsibility to represent all employees in a bargaining unit? At least in a RTW state the Union has to represent you even if you are not a Union member.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Doesn't the Union have a responsibility to represent all employees in a bargaining unit? At least in a RTW state the Union has to represent you even if you are not a Union member.

Once they gain seniority.

Pretty sure if you are getting paid to come to work everyday, you are an employee.

Until you gain seniority, your only benefit is the contractual wage.

The company has to have cause.

Nope.