Fired for something that happened a month ago?

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Not too hard to either show up or pick up the phone (no text!) and let someone know that you won't be there.
I have never no call no showed in 6 years.

And I know it is done out of laziness, or trying to hurt the company somehow, by some.

But for many of the people I've talked to, they're unwilling to deal with the ordeal that is calling in.
They're typically newer, younger, and have less of a backbone when it comes to management intimidation.

You call in, and management starts asking questions. They start the guilt trips. I've even heard of them bullying one sick person I talked to into coming into work.

It's easier for some of these younger guys to just not call, than stand up for themselves on these phone calls.

So I feel the company shares the blame for this issue. there are valid reasons to call in to work.
And when you create a culture of blame and intimidation towards the people who have to miss work, I can understand why they wouldn't want to deal with it.

Obviously, this is not always the case. But it does happen.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I have never no call no showed in 6 years.

And I know it is done out of laziness, or trying to hurt the company somehow, by some.

But for many of the people I've talked to, they're unwilling to deal with the ordeal that is calling in.
They're typically newer, younger, and have less of a backbone when it comes to management intimidation.

You call in, and management starts asking questions. They start the guilt trips. I've even heard of them bullying one sick person I talked to into coming into work.

It's easier for some of these younger guys to just not call, than stand up for themselves on these phone calls.

So I feel the company shares the blame for this issue. there are valid reasons to call in to work.
And when you create a culture of blame and intimidation towards the people who have to miss work, I can understand why they wouldn't want to deal with it.

Obviously, this is not always the case. But it does happen.
It was an ordeal. Never, ever back down and always make the call yourself. When they would ask what’s wrong I would ask if they were a doctor. I got the :censored2:s!

Nah
I've only had two no call no shows in my time at UPS. First time I texted that I wouldn't be in, and turned my phone off too soon afterwards so it never got sent (oops). My sup was cool though and changed it to a call in when I showed him the failed text.

Second time I tried calling (no answer), then texted my dispatcher (my center's designated call in guy for drivers/preload). He was on vacation that week and blocked everyone from work. That was a fun wake-up phone call from my on road.

UnionStrong

I've only had two no call no shows in my time at UPS. First time I texted that I wouldn't be in, and turned my phone off too soon afterwards so it never got sent (oops). My sup was cool though and changed it to a call in when I showed him the failed text.

Second time I tried calling (no answer), then texted my dispatcher (my center's designated call in guy for drivers/preload). He was on vacation that week and blocked everyone from work. That was a fun wake-up phone call from my on road.
The bastards wouldn’t answer the phone for awhile.

Superteeth2478

Man, all you people giving him flack for waiting so long after being terminated to do something about it are heartless. I mean, his CAT died. Serious not serious.

ups556

Update: So I talked to my BA once again and he is telling me I was on a working termination and that is why they were allowed to walk me out. He also mentioned that I did not file a grievance on one of my NC/NS, and if I was to be represented based on my history they don't think they would be able to help me. So my only question is how were they allowed to proceed with termination without serving me a 5 day? I had no idea I was even on a working termination.

Even though I lost my job, I learned a lot through this experience. Even if someone lets you get away with something doesn't make it ok and it has me asking myself, why didn't I just show up to work?

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
Update: So I talked to my BA once again and he is telling me I was on a working termination and that is why they were allowed to walk me out. He also mentioned that I did not file a grievance on one of my NC/NS, and if I was to be represented based on my history they don't think they would be able to help me. So my only question is how were they allowed to proceed with termination without serving me a 5 day? I had no idea I was even on a working termination.

Even though I lost my job, I learned a lot through this experience. Even if someone lets you get away with something doesn't make it ok and it has me asking myself, why didn't I just show up to work?
Parking lot time

UnionStrong

Why?

542thruNthru

I already told you the NCNS progression. Warning letter, suspension and then termination

RTW FTW

Would depend on the language in their grievance procedures. Here a letter must be sent to the local as well as the member by certified mail.
That’s the way it is here.

A guy got a letter reflecting effective immediately and left. Company claimed it was a working termination, with the union not arguing differently.

Later, a guy got a working termination discharge and the letter didn’t say effective immediately.

The one in question was a gross insubordination discharge, which I thought was universally accepted cardinal infraction. Apparently I was mistaken in thinking that

Commercial Inside Release

Just because management says something is gross insubordination, doesn't mean what really happened actually was even failure to work as directed.
Management is often at least somewhat twisted.
Management lies often.
Management members will conspire to make things up.
Management often has an irrational belief of the range & scope of their authority.

RTW FTW

Just because management says something is gross insubordination, doesn't mean what really happened actually was even failure to work as directed.
Management is often at least somewhat twisted.
Management lies often.
Management members will conspire to make things up.
Management often has an irrational belief of the range & scope of their authority.
I completely agree. My question would be, is gross insubordination considered a cardinal infraction?

Also, would the language on the letter itself, such as effective immediately, clearly indicate it was not a working termination?

If management’s mouths are moving, they’re lying. Unfortunately, they have a right contractually to lie and force people to go through the process.

reginald95

You’re always supposed to file a grievance within 10 days (I think) of any situation that comes up. That way it’s on the record and it can be brought up to panel if it gets that far. Don’t just take the word of the shop steward that he’ll do it in your place.

It’s like lawyers have to file motions, or paperwork before a set date or they miss the opportunity to even get considered for that.