Fired for Unreported Accident

F

Frankie's Friend

I thought he said he made a u-turn at an intersection, meaning at a light with a small grass median. If hitting grass making a u-turn was an accident a lot of people would be calling everyday.
Never enough info in these threads. It doesnt have to be a median and it wasnt posted as such. If you dont have enough room to swing a P10 you can easily encroach the curb, sidewalk, and the grass adjoining it with the rear passenger tire(s).

@Enjoi0523 , your safe driving award evidently was for 1 or 2 yrs without an accident since you've only been driving (at the most) since 2016.
I have been a safe driver my entire UPS career without any accidents or injuries and even just received a safe driving award not too long ago.

Last month they tried to fire me for "Job Abandonment" because I finished my route early and never went out to go help someone.

You were part time in 2015 and probably 2016.

"Entire career".

Ok.

F

Frankie's Friend

@Coldworld was spot on.
If you retain your job just do it by the book from now on.

Short cuts in safe driving issues will (sooner or later) get your name cut off the seniority list.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
@Coldworld was spot on.
If you retain your job just do it by the book from now on.

Short cuts in safe driving issues will (sooner or later) get your name cut off the seniority list.
The term "intersection" has been greatly watered down....along with the term "avoidable".

In the end, management wants us do these things, while being on record saying they don't.

That's what this is about, which will be validated when he is returned to work.

Is the guy who made the decision to fire the OP a Center Manager, or an:

ArmChairQuarterback.jpg

Last edited:
F

Frankie's Friend

The term "intersection" has been greatly watered down....along with the term "avoidable".

In the end, management wants us do these things, while being on record saying they don't.

That's what this is about, which will be validated when he is returned to work.

Is the guy who made the decision to fire the OP a Center Manager, or an:

ArmChairQuarterback.jpg
A state patrol officer once told me that the definition of an intersection is any drive adjoining a road and not necessarily just two named roads that intersect.

The state you're driving in may have different definitions but a U turn is pretty much a U turn.

A U turn in a parking lot or large private drive/side lot shouldn't be a big deal as long as you dont drive thru the grass, sod, etc and have the owner call in on you claiming damage.

Doing a U turn in a public street with a P10 or whatever size commercial vehicle isnt my forte.
Neither would management be impressed if they were doing observations..imo.

It's not worth the risk just to save driving an extra block or two.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
A state patrol officer once told me that the definition of an intersection is any drive adjoining a road and not necessarily just two named roads that intersect.

The state you're driving in may have different definitions but a U turn is pretty much a U turn.

A U turn in a parking lot or large private drive/side lot shouldn't be a big deal as long as you dont drive thru the grass, sod, etc and have the owner call in on you claiming damage.

Doing a U turn in a public street with a P10 or whatever size commercial vehicle isnt my forte.
Neither would management be impressed if they were doing observations..imo.

It's not worth the risk just to save driving an extra block or two.
I didn't respond to challenge the notion that "it isn't worth it", rather the hypocrisy of the "methods" and how the Company enforces them.

It is my contention that the Company would have (and may have already) turned a blind eye during an observation if this driver was a favorable "numbers driver".....we have all seen it in the wake of posted telematics data?

Do me a favor, the next time you see your state patrol buddy, ask him how your state accesses "avoidability".

F

Frankie's Friend

I didn't respond to challenge the notion that "it isn't worth it", rather the hypocrisy of the "methods" and how the Company enforces them.

It is my contention that the Company would have (and may have already) during an observation if this driver was a favorable "numbers driver".....we have all seen it in the wake of posted telematics data?

Do me a favor, the next time you see your state patrol buddy, ask him how your state accesses "avoidability".
The ups driver, according to the company, is always wrong and must prove their innocence.

Mind games.

I'll probably never see that patrolman again. He was investigating the accident after another driver hit my personal vehicle in an "intersection".

To your "avoidability" point I would say I'm glad I wasnt in one of their brown trucks.

Their (the company's) rendition is above the law and common sense imo.

SafetyFirst

Riding over grass is an accident though. Probably 70% of the accidents in my center's over the last 5 years have been lawn damage. We've had drivers get charged with an accident for literally veering 2 inches off a driveway. Very minimal damage is still an accident if it gets called in, always protect yourself.

I know not all the guys in my center we're even aware they caused any damage and nobody got fired over it so there really seems like more to this story.

tadpole

We had someone get fired over almost the same thing (unreported lawn damage) but eventually got job back months later with no back pay. I heard they had to travel to the 2nd panel because they didn’t get their job back at the first panel.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I wasn't rushing. I don't rush. It was raining and there was poor visibility. I thought I only bumped the curb. Unless you're referring to the last incident about being finished with my route early. That was just three bulk stops and a UPS store sweep and I finished them by 1pm.
Not just trying to pick on you man but there are drivers who are on Facebook groups that are bragging about doing massive amounts of stops and being off at 5:00.... and straight up stating that they ran all day.....these kids will never make it 30 years here.... guaranteed.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
We had someone get fired over almost the same thing (unreported lawn damage) but eventually got job back months later with no back pay. I heard they had to travel to the 2nd panel because they didn’t get their job back at the first panel.
You have a weak ass local union rep if a driver was out for months because of this.....

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
I wasn't rushing. I don't rush. It was raining and there was poor visibility. I thought I only bumped the curb. Unless you're referring to the last incident about being finished with my route early. That was just three bulk stops and a UPS store sweep and I finished them by 1pm.
You made a U turn in an intersection. You were rushing.

F

Frankie's Friend

You have a weak ass local union rep if a driver was out for months because of this.....
We know about weak representation but I've seen some major damage done to yards that would get a driver fired for a while if not called in.

If I've damaged someone's property I make contact with the company and the owner immediately. Even leaving a delivery notice with the local number on it (& getting a picture of it) if they arent home has helped document my honesty in the matter.

MarvelousMunata

The Scapegoat With Attitude
When you go in front of an arbitrator don't say a single word. Go into the meeting with a boombox, place it on the table with the volume turned all the way up and play this:

Union already told me i cant talk if i get pulled into an office for anything cuz they dont want me cursing out management

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Union already told me i cant talk if i get pulled into an office for anything cuz they dont want me cursing out management

Who from the Union told you that ?

You can't refuse to answer reasonable questions, and have a right to caucus

with your representative before providing any answers.

Cussing out management can wind up being a fast walk to the door....

MarvelousMunata

Who from the Union told you that ?

You can't refuse to answer reasonable questions, and have a right to caucus

with your representative before providing any answers.

Cussing out management can wind up being a fast walk to the door....
And thats why they told me to shut the hell up. Ive been brought to the office by management in the past without steward present.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Ive been brought to the office by management in the past without steward present.

They can do that.

But.... you can invoke your Weingarten Rights.

"If this discussion could in any way lead to my being disciplined or terminated, or affect my personal working conditions, I respectfully request that my union representative, officer, or steward be present at this meeting. Until my representative arrives, I choose not to participate in this discussion."

Weingarten Rights - Wikipedia

MarvelousMunata

They can do that.

But.... you can invoke your Weingarten Rights.

"If this discussion could in any way lead to my being disciplined or terminated, or affect my personal working conditions, I respectfully request that my union representative, officer, or steward be present at this meeting. Until my representative arrives, I choose not to participate in this discussion."

Weingarten Rights - Wikipedia
Unless they do it on a saturday when my stewards arent in building. Which they have. Ive flat out refused to go in the office for anything. But ive learned about my rights u fortunately through experience.

Listen I dont wana deal with "u drove over the grass, now we have to let you go" bull, when i go driving