Fired Over a Tier 1 Property Damage Accident

Dragon

Package Center Manager
While I agree 100% that we should stay out of driveways and maintain a space cushion around the vehicle as much as possible, perhaps you could offer an opinion about a couple of questions that I have never been able to get a straight answer to from my own management team.

1. What exactly is the definition of a "driveway"?

Any road that leads to a house or business. Keeping it simple. I guess on the west coast its called a private access road....

2. What does breaking a tree limb have to do with "safety"?

People do not want thier property torn up. When we damage it in some way they want it repaired (sometimes). Would you take your personal vehicle down a drive way and drive the same way?

I ask because many of the "driveways" I must travel on each day are actually 1/4 to 1/2 mile long private "access roads" that wind thru the forests of the Oregon Coast Range. During these journeys, I routinely leave a trail of broken tree limbs and/or downed fruit laying in the road behind me. My customers....who, like me, live and work in the real world....are well aware of the fact that by choosing to (a) live in the country and (b)order packages via UPS, they are accepting the reality that the large brown truck that delivers those packages will inevitably do whatever pruning and fruit removal they have failed to to themselves.

Remember the original poster stated he "crunched the top of the UPS truck". Assuming he had to go down the driveway and there was no way to avoid the limbs, why not just adjust his speed?

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Why doesnt anyone focus on the "incident" itself. Everyone wants to get to a conclusion first and then ask questions later. Ive read nothing but conclusions about coming back and winning his case, despite the fact that we dont know the "FACTS".

Lets start with this.

Why was he fired? Could it be, that it was his 3rd accident in 9 months? Could it be, that it went unreported? Could it be, that he "lied" about the circumstances when he called it in?

We need the answers to this first.

Second, Why was he on a private driveway in the first place? We dont do driveways. Was he "instructed" to drive on driveways, or was he "instructed" to stay off driveways?

Third, In his "BRIEF" 4 year career, how many accidents has he had? How many tier 1's, how many tier 2's, how many tier 3's?

Fourth, What does his "total" disicpline picture look like? What is in his pittsburg? He mentions that he was already on a working discharge for failing to go help out another driver, but I wonder how many other pieces of discipline "litter" his package? How does a 4 year driver "refuse" to help out?

A 4 year driver better understand that he "IS" the "HELP" and not some wonderboy who gets to go home. I dont care what his dispatch is. At 4 years, he's the help.

Fifth, he says in his original post that the customer said "dont worry , its only bark". But who did he say that too? Him or the supervisor? Further, how does this make his case any less serious? Sure the tree lost some bark, but the truck was damaged and probably needed to be repaired. What dollar damage does that amount too?

Once you have all the answers to these questions fully, can anyone make a suggestion to him that he will return.

I question his judgement. Was he on his cell phone when he hit the low branch? Was he on that driveway in the DARK in his 11 hour dispatch and he couldnt get the big pitcure?

No 4 year driver should be on a working discharge and a discharge for an accident in less than 9 months without being a trouble maker.

FIND THE ANSWERS.

Peace.

packagemandan

Never seen a driver terminated for a minor accident with no external monetary damage, as for your suspension your refuseing to help should have been grieved and settled at worst for a warning letter. Never settle in an office for a suspension before you have had a warning letter, as for termination on the accident I highly doubt they will. Can't stack discipline from an accident and a refusal to help, seperate infractions. Be very careful from now on and take the walk don't drive into any driveways it's against all your methods.

Logb17

If someone says don't drive into driveways again, I'm gonna lose my mind. So you people are telling me you'll do a 15 minute walk off on seperate 30 stops, like some routes have. Sometimes the driveway is the only place to turn around at the end of the road. Next time I go down a road with just a driveway at the end, I'm just going to sit there all day and rock back and forth. Since im just a robot in a static environment, this does not compute and I will malfunction.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There needs to be a more clear definition of what a "driveway" is. I deliver in the city so the driveway issue is not an issue; however, when I had my country run, there were some "driveways" that were easily a mile long. It is my understanding that the directive to stay out of residential driveways is based on the driveways found in most residential neighborhoods, which are typically less than 100' long.

I had a residential delivery of a 5 piece bed yesterday. The driveway was about 50' long. The size and weight of the packages dictated that I back in to the driveway. I could have parked on the road and used the handcart but it made more sense to back in.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
There needs to be a more clear definition of what a "driveway" is. I deliver in the city so the driveway issue is not an issue; however, when I had my country run, there were some "driveways" that were easily a mile long. It is my understanding that the directive to stay out of residential driveways is based on the driveways found in most residential neighborhoods, which are typically less than 100' long.

I had a residential delivery of a 5 piece bed yesterday. The driveway was about 50' long. The size and weight of the packages dictated that I back in to the driveway. I could have parked on the road and used the handcart but it made more sense to back in.

Independent thinking is not condoned by UPS. It would seem that your assimilation is yet incomplete. Please submit yourself for proper conditioning.

rocket man

where was your shop rep if you were told that with out a shop rep they violiated your rights and a federal offence your weingarten wrights. when are you or any one goona learn your shop rep and your union is the only one you talk to.

bumped

Hey Guys - First post to the site.

Yesterday (Friday) i pulled into a horseshoe shaped driveway in a P700 and crunched the top-passenger-corner of the truck on a tree branch. The center manager came out to take pictures and the customer said "its just tree bark, theres nothing to worry about." I was told to finish up the day, and upon returning to the building i was met by my on-road sup and business agent saying i was being discharged. My ID was taken and i was led out, but i was told to report to work 20 mins early monday morning.

I do have an outstanding discharge which was reduced to a suspension from february, from disobeying an order to help another driver after i completed working 10.5 hours on an 11 hour dispatch. I have 2.5 years of safe driving out of a 4 full-time years. I feel like i am well liked by all of my labor and management coworkers. I float on 15 trips and am willing to do whatever i am asked with a smile on my face.

In the past 6 months our center of 75 has discharged at least a half-dozen drivers, with 2 being gone for good. Suspensions or warnings have been thrown out the window and any offense is now an automatic discharge. Does anyone have any insight on people that have kept there job thru worse? Because i dont feel that my offenses are bad enough to warrant losing my job.

I'm confused. You contradict yourself in the same paragraph.

It is a good sign that you will be going in 20 minutes early though.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
What would you grieve???

Extra work can be accepted or declined on the basis of seniority. If he is back at the building and there is extra work that he does not want to do and a lower seniority person is available, then the low guy gets stuck with it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Extra work can be accepted or declined on the basis of seniority. If he is back at the building and there is extra work that he does not want to do and a lower seniority person is available, then the low guy gets stuck with it.

Suppose he is all by himself---what would you advise him to do?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm assuming that you have language in your supplement that specifically states that you can decline work in this manner? I'm curious how many supplements have this type of language.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Article 19 section 6 of the Central Region Supplement states:

"Drivers shall not be disciplined for refusing to go back out on the street once they have returned to the building, after having completed their full day's work."