Flora

moreluck

golden ticket member
Not to be critical, but this looks like when the kids grab a pile of tinsel and throw it on the tree instead of doing one strand at a time.. I have a problem with that!

I think you're suppose to break apart that big chunk into about 10-15 little guys and plant them, spacing them. Was the beer calling so loudly ??
Donna, I'm trying to get him to do it right.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Are those windows to a partially below ground room.?
That's like the windows in our Utah house and they were my oldest daughter's bedroom and she would sneak out to meet her boyfriend and destroy the plantings in the flower bed...............and also get her grounded.

over9five

Staff member
Not to be critical, but this looks like when the kids grab a pile of tinsel and throw it on the tree instead of doing one strand at a time.. I have a problem with that!

I think you're suppose to break apart that big chunk into about 10-15 little guys and plant them, spacing them. Was the beer calling so loudly ??
Donna, I'm trying to get him to do it right.
Lol, I thought if I planted a few chunks it would spread and eventually all connect.

And NO, the beer wasn't calling.

(It's Bushwackers tonight!)

over9five

Staff member

Is that concrete border there to contain all the weeds?

Yes! Right now, anyhow..... I should have taken a pic of the whole thing. It is a circle shape with a birdbath in the middle, and heavily weeded. Should be a nice little flower garden.

(We'll see if she actually does it....!)

menotyou

bella amicizia
Yup, one of my roofers called it a tulip. He even put a barrel over it to protect it!
Uhmmm, Ovah? have you never seen a tulip? FYI. Gophers and moles love tulip bulbs. I had random tulips pop up all over the yard. they early come up where they are planted. I don't plant them anymore. I still have 3 or 4 that come up in the bed out front, but that's it. Damn moles.

over9five

Staff member
Uhmmm, Ovah? have you never seen a tulip? FYI. Gophers and moles love tulip bulbs. I had random tulips pop up all over the yard. they early come up where they are planted. I don't plant them anymore. I still have 3 or 4 that come up in the bed out front, but that's it. Damn moles.
I hate moles. Not sure I understand the connection to tulips, but your doctor should be able to easily remove them.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I hate moles. Not sure I understand the connection to tulips, but your doctor should be able to easily remove them.
:rofl: I stand corrected. Mice love tulip bulbs. They use them as winter feed.

How can I keep squirrels or moles from eating bulbs?
Bulbs are not usually a preferred food of squirrels, moles, mice or other rodents, but they can take a liking to them. Moles are often unfairly blamed when bulbs disappear. More often, the culprit is field mice that also use mole tunnels. They most often attack tulips, crocus and gladioli and rarely eat daffodils, alliums or colchicums.
The mouse problem is a difficult one. Sprinkling dried blood, tobacco or a similar repellent on the ground is effective only until the next rain washes it away. Owning a cat that enjoys walking through your flower beds is a very effective deterrent to rodents.
Where you are determined to try bulbs, make a small "cage" of 1/2-inch mesh screen. Place several bulbs inside, root plate down and bury the entire cage at the proper depth. Rodents won’t be able to chew through, but roots and stems can grow out.