FMLA is up ,Doc. Put me on restriction, UPS won’t let me work

542thruNthru

Hi follow teamster brothers and sisters,

I’m in a unique situation, I have a history of back issues over my 20 years being with UPS . I told management years ago that this task has made me hurt . “UPS management pulled me in a room implying I was trying to commitment insurance fraud”. So I just went to my own doctors FMLA and disability,I ended up having surgery, witch did help. Fast forward to the present, I filed for FMLA and STD due to back issues and that was approved until April. I reported to The Hartford that I’d be returning to work with a restriction, they said they would inform UPS of that. I reported to work for 2 days and I asked if The Hartford informed them of my reduction, they didn’t know anything about my restriction, so I showed my doctors note with the restriction.Management told me I can’t work with restrictions. I got a 22.3 job last August and I really need this job. Bills won’t pay theirselves plus have family to take care of .
Any information and/or advice for this situation would be greatly appreciated.
You'll probably have to try and get a ADA. UPS is not going to allow you to come back with a restriction because they don't want to be liable if you aggravate the injury again.

haloinception

I wonder if I would lose my 22.3 gig if I went down the ADA road. I actually brought up the ADA with my business agent and he said no don’t that . He didn’t elaborate why not to

542thruNthru

I wonder if I would lose my 22.3 gig if I went down the ADA road. I actually brought up the ADA with my business agent and he said no don’t that . He didn’t elaborate why not to
If you can't perform the job then yes I believe you would lose it. They do have to find you another job but it doesn't have to be FT if it's not available.

Whither

Scofflaw
Hi follow teamster brothers and sisters,

I’m in a unique situation, I have a history of back issues over my 20 years being with UPS . I told management years ago that this task has made me hurt . “UPS management pulled me in a room implying I was trying to commitment insurance fraud”. So I just went to my own doctors FMLA and disability,I ended up having surgery, witch did help. Fast forward to the present, I filed for FMLA and STD due to back issues and that was approved until April. I reported to The Hartford that I’d be returning to work with a restriction, they said they would inform UPS of that. I reported to work for 2 days and I asked if The Hartford informed them of my reduction, they didn’t know anything about my restriction, so I showed my doctors note with the restriction.Management told me I can’t work with restrictions. I got a 22.3 job last August and I really need this job. Bills won’t pay theirselves plus have family to take care of .
Any information and/or advice for this situation would be greatly appreciated.
My center manager also accused me of insurance fraud. Told me that I wouldn't be allowed to return to work (after vacation -- had gotten injured, thankfully nothing major, a week prior and was working with restrictions) until I had a meeting with Liberty Mutual, the company attorney, the DM, etc, and my union steward. I laughed and told him I'd advise my lawyer, but that I could already assure him that no such meeting would take place without my lawyer. "The union will be there to represent you." "Yes of course, and my lawyer too." That meeting never happened lol.

If you got work injuries treated via your insurance, rather than work comp, that's no good. If the insurer finds out, they can and will bill you. Don't let the company intimidate you -- if they ever try again, file Art 37 on them and hold your ground. Work injuries are the company's responsibility. Also, here anyway, short term is a larger pay cut than work comp, and FMLA doesn't pay a dime.

haloinception

@DennisUPS you need to learn how to quote properly brother. :)
My center manager also accused me of insurance fraud. Told me that I wouldn't be allowed to return to work (after vacation -- had gotten injured, thankfully nothing major, a week prior and was working with restrictions) until I had a meeting with Liberty Mutual, the company attorney, the DM, etc, and my union steward. I laughed and told him I'd advise my lawyer, but that I could already assure him that no such meeting would take place without my lawyer. "The union will be there to represent you." "Yes of course, and my lawyer too." That meeting never happened lol.

If you got work injuries treated via your insurance, rather than work comp, that's no good. If the insurer finds out, they can and will bill you. Don't let the company intimidate you -- if they ever try again, file Art 37 on them and hold your ground. Work injuries are the company's responsibility. Also, here anyway, short term is a larger pay cut than work comp, and FMLA doesn't pay a dime.

haloinception

Small sort it’s like a hospital ward over there everybody in it has some affliction
Yea, do they put the busted up people in smalls at your hub?
Denis do you need a tutorial on how to navigate the Brown Cafe? ffs
Small sort it’s like a hospital ward over there everybody in it has some affliction
Yes I probably need to learn how to navigate around the brown Café . I do know the rules, I’ll peep out more threads on here .

Do they put the broken down people in smalls at your hub ?

haloinception

Thanks for sharing your experience. I definitely learned from this the hard way . I :censored2:ed myself trying to be a great employee. Why have a company’s back when they don’t have yours right

Sorry this happened to you. They tried to pull that crap with my husband. I said nope, it’s work related your paying. Because they took so long to pay they had to pay us a fine of $800. They never messed with us again. He was off work 15 months for surgery on both shoulders, did rehab and back to work. UPS will threaten you and they don’t have a leg to stand on. They don’t decide how you were hurt, your doctor does.

haloinception

Sorry this happened to you. They tried to pull that crap with my husband. I said nope, it’s work related your paying. Because they took so long to pay they had to pay us a fine of $800. They never messed with us again. He was off work 15 months for surgery on both shoulders, did rehab and back to work. UPS will threaten you and they don’t have a leg to stand on. They don’t decide how you were hurt, your doctor does.
Lots of folks don’t know how physically demanding UPS is, it will take a toll on one’s body even if you implement all the safe work methods. The repetitive movements wears people out over years of service . Hopefully your husband is doing well now !

Up In Smoke

Thanks bro
Yup UPS put fear in me with the threats committing insurance fraud. I was younger and didn’t fully understand how damn brutal this place is.
You probably did commit insurance fraud by taking a work place injury (comp) and allowing your teamster insurance to cover it. I remind everyone I can that fraud is a two way street. Report all accidents and injuries no matter the severity. Your fund your money.