for the folks that deliver to military bases.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
just curious if any of you deliver to any military bases. If so, are there any special hoops you have to jump through to get stuff delivered, or get on or off?
For those nevada upsers, does anyone know if ups makes deliveries to the area 51/nellis air force base, talk about a cool delivery. How about fort lewis in washington....very large base, probably a ton of deliveries in there.

Last edited:

959Nanook

Covering the Fort Wainwright, Alaska route for two weeks. I've run enough bulk runs to Fort Wainwright that the folks who issue passes know me so it is a fairly easy process to get my temporary pass. Not sure if the regular driver has a 30-day pass or something a little longer. They give me a one-week pass when I show up which allows me access for the remainder of the week. I get randomly searched about one in five accesses to base.

Fort Wainwright is about one third the size of a division post (e.g. Fort Lewis) so the regular driver is a late start (he isn't part of the sort...we have no Preload in Fairbanks, Alaska) and does air pickups and drops them at the airport in a P32 by 11:00 before coming back to center to get the P500 for his route. As a cover driver on the route, I do Center Clerking and Counter Clerking before doing the route.

General issues with Fort Wainwright is that many do not know their actual address because they address their stuff to the unit at a generic post address (1060 Gaffney Rd, Fort Wainwright, AK 99703 in this case) and the USPS sorts it by unit for pickup by unit Mail Clerks so our Customer Clerk readdresses a lot of packages for Fort Wainwright. All buildings are numbered and the building number is the street number for the address but the sequencing is not always ordered along a street (i.e. a street number can only be relied upon for general area of base if you don't know where the building is). Temporary buildings (e.g. job trailers for construction) have a building number but they rarely have the number posted. Typically, people use the nearest major road rather than the actual road they are located on so a street name in the address can cover a swath as wide as three blocks on either side of a major road.

As far as deliveries are concerned, the base shuts down at 17:00 and there are quite a few early closes at 16:00 or 16:30 and other stops with irregular hours. Some support functions on base are closed certain days of the week (e.g. Sports Store on Monday or the Base Library on Tuesdays and Wednesdays). All residence areas have a posted 15 mph speed limit and 35 mph is the speed limit on Fort Wainwright unless posted lower.

In general, most drivers are not a big fan of delivering to the military bases at our center (Fort Wainwright and Eielson Air Force Base) unless they served on the base which is only going to be more pronounced since there are no longer open bases. The regular driver is not a military veteran but is happy that the route was his first bid route. The route is great if you have the area knowledge (evidently, we have had a cover driver get nearly 100 misses in a day during peak season on the route).

Most interesting delivery as far as a military base that I've done at Wainwright was for package addressed to a room on the third floor of the Brigade Headquarters. The building has a goofy layout to begin with and I knew how to get to the second floor but had to ask for help to find the stairs to the third floor. I turned right at the top landing of the stairs based on the numbering on the bottom two floors and ran into a security door so I turned around and beat feet the other direction but it was clear that the room was not in the unsecured part of the third floor so I asked a Captain in the hallway if he knew where the room was. His reply was, "It may be behind the door but I've never been behind the door so I do not know." So I returned to the door and noticed it was the Brigade S-2 (Intelligence) so I followed the directions posted on the wall next to a phone ("Let the phone ring twice and wait for a click") while looking into the camera with a great big cheesy grin. Then I heard the door click so I opened it and a soldier kindly signed for the package and I went on my merry way.

Most interesting day on Fort Wainwright was my first day covering the route. I had to run my own bulk run and the intersection in front of the base is under construction. I started the route at 13:00 and by 14:00 or so I had made a classic rookie mistake when I locked my keys in the back of the truck. By the time I contacted management in Anchorage (On Car Sup in Fairbanks was out driving a route and did not have his cell and there was no one at the center in Fairbanks to receive DIAD messages) and got lockout service from a locksmith, it was too late to get most of the non-residences off the truck and I stopped delivering resis at 22:10 when it became apparent that all I was going to do was wake people up and piss them off if I kept delivering (I did not know there was a curfew on delivering) plus I needed to get off of Wainwright and back to the center before I hit my twelve hours. Needless to say, it has been gravy for the most part since the first day.

rod

Retired 22 years
just curious if any of you deliver to any military bases. If so, are there any special hoops you have to jump through to get stuff delivered, or get on or off?
For those nevada upsers, does anyone know if ups makes deliveries to the area 51/nellis air force base, talk about a cool delivery. How about fort lewis in washington....very large base, probably a ton of deliveries in there.

how do we know your not a spy:stalker::picture::euro:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Delivered to a Munitions plant many times. You get searched each and every time, including a visual under the truck. Pass in good for a year, and you have to go through a real anal check to get it. Anything more than a speeding ticket will disqualify you.

d

jetset

pitch and toss
Airbases,A little bit of the US in the UK. What a nightmare.
To obtain a pass can take upto 6 months ,first time any worrldwide trouble your pass is revoked. A company in the US often complain about our inability to deliver to the bases my boss once said you think they would understand the need for high level security instead they think its bloody disneyland.
The unit of currency on the base, The dollar, fuel is at US prices not UK prices as are the good in all the supermarkets (or malls as they are called).
Although your not supposed to you can buy things ,which is a bit of a touch.
All the staff call you sir, which is a little surreal especailly when their pointing a machine gun at you and asking you to leave site.
Are their any UK airbases in the US?

drewed

Shankman
Airbases,A little bit of the US in the UK. What a nightmare.
To obtain a pass can take upto 6 months ,first time any worrldwide trouble your pass is revoked. A company in the US often complain about our inability to deliver to the bases my boss once said you think they would understand the need for high level security instead they think its bloody disneyland.
The unit of currency on the base, The dollar, fuel is at US prices not UK prices as are the good in all the supermarkets (or malls as they are called).
Although your not supposed to you can buy things ,which is a bit of a touch.
All the staff call you sir, which is a little surreal especailly when their pointing a machine gun at you and asking you to leave site.
Are their any UK airbases in the US?

nope no foreign bases on US soil

jetset

pitch and toss
I once had to cover for the regular driver who was going on Holiday,
asked him to draw me a map, dumb @rse thought he was going to get shot when they pulled him in for questioning.When he told me I nearly wet myself I was laughing so much.
Didn't laugh the first week I had to cover for him all the building numbers are non sequential in order to confuse any one who infiltrates the site.
Apparently there are no nuclear weapons on site so don't know why the high security!!

over10.5

Jetset-- I have been interested on the pay a driver makes in the UK? Is it comparable to what we make in the states? Are you union? And is DHL or the other competition union? Thank you

CBUK

Pay for drivers is nowhwere near comparable in the U.K although compared to other similar companies ie DHL Fed Ex etc we get a better rate. We also have to work a lot harder.

We used to have a bonus system based on planned day productivity and it was revoked on a Union vote when negotiating a new pay deal for the operations employees.

Five years ago I was earning more than I earn today but I was working longer hours and suffering to get the job done. The suffering was worth the £800 GBP I was earning in bonus pay on top of my take home pay.

It was however a little unfair on other drivers who were working rural routes and unable to hit plan day targets set by the centre. We had 2 time study teams in our centre in the last 10 years but I dont believe that they get to see enough in the short time they are there. It was good to here from my Centre Manager at the time that the time study guy that rode with me said I was one of the best methods drivers he had ever been out with.

I can guarentee any drivers with airbases to deliver to would not be bonus earners. I have in my time delivered to U.S bases in the U.K namely Lakenheath, Mildenhall and Alconbury and they are all very difficult to get into without a permament pass which can take up to 6 months to acquire.

I was unlucky to get sent to Lakenheath on Sept 12th 2001 when the place was fully locked down and nobody was getting in or out.

Since UPS accquired Lynx and integration has taken place I feel that I am earning a fair days pay for a fair days work. I've said it elsewhwere but many new starters here dont know they are born and we are definatley in a transitional period in the U.K.

Things will get a lot harder and I hope the Union will be able to negotiate a decent pay rise. I dont know much about the Union but they dont hold much weight at my centre and they are nowhere near what you appear to have in the U.S.A.

Someone better informed might shed some more light on that one.

jetset

pitch and toss
CBUK,
The union don't negotiate for operation staff.
In short the union sold us down the river, most hard working drivers
deserved what they were paid, and yes there were routes where earning bonus was a struggle. the part milage paid in bonus resulted in rural routes earning more than city routes, this I agree was unfair.
The union however was (still is) in the main made up of lazy shop stewards who couldn't get a bonus if they were being given away.
They received an offer , rejected it and the company couldn't beleive its luck when the union agreed to scrap bonus.
Your comments in regard to newbies iscorrect they are getting away with murder during integration.June 28th it will all change suddenly all centres will be integrated and the company will push for production.
Remember DHL dropped their integration and our pay remains far higher than theirs with the introduction of OSP don'texpect big money this year.
We have very little need for a union so well have we been treated of late when we do need them they will be toothless.
It is however Unfortunate that we will need them very soon, some more than others.

FromBluetoBrown

Our building covers two military bases. The Marine Corps base at Quantico and Fort Belvior. They both get two cars and they both get a ton of stuff. One of the stops is the Quantico Exchange and their stuff is always stacked out till the end of the sort. I'll have to ask the drivers tomorrow if they have any interesting stories and post them. I've heard stories about drivers delivering to the CIA building and having to go through at least 3 checkpoints and the FBI HQ is at Quantico as well as the the Marine OCS.

Big Babooba

I used to deliver to an Air Force base. I was allowed just about everywhere - even on the flight line as long as I was making a delivery. After 9/11 all that stopped. After the truck is inspected, we go directly to Base Receiving where all packages are unloaded to be x-rayed and delivered by base personnel. What used to be 15 - 20 stops a day is now only 1. Now it takes longer to get on base than to make the delivery.

jetset

pitch and toss
What is integration?

Over10.5,

Here in the UK we aqquired a company called lynx 3 years ago.
DHL dropped their integration and continued with two products run by two companies.we on the other hand justed switched postcodes (Zips) between centres with each site running two products , two systems two of everything a bit like Noah...
Now as we near the end the last months have been spent changing users of lynx product to UPS.
As you can imagine centres were manned to run two systems as we switch to one my guess is surplus inside staff.
Also while all attention was on migrating volume centres were under less pressure to hit production. My fear ,as CBUK suggests, is the new starters have a false perception of just what the job entails. Tears at bedtime me thinks.....

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
I once had to cover for the regular driver who was going on Holiday,
asked him to draw me a map, dumb @rse thought he was going to get shot when they pulled him in for questioning.When he told me I nearly wet myself I was laughing so much.
Didn't laugh the first week I had to cover for him all the building numbers are non sequential in order to confuse any one who infiltrates the site.
Apparently there are no nuclear weapons on site so don't know why the high security!!

There may not be nuclear weapons on any given post there still may be classified/top secret information. Depending on the post you are delivering to, the post could be one of R&D. This information is highly valued and not just anyone...including some post employees can be in or around the area. Hence...HIGH SECURITY.

jetset

pitch and toss
There may not be nuclear weapons on any given post there still may be classified/top secret information. Depending on the post you are delivering to, the post could be one of R&D. This information is highly valued and not just anyone...including some post employees can be in or around the area. Hence...HIGH SECURITY.

Storm723,
Have you heard the line "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."
Comes from Hamlet. Often used nowadays when suggesting that we are disbelieving due to the number of protests to the contrary.
We were often, (too often in fact) told that the high security was Not due to Nuclear weapons being on British Soil.
Hence my throw away comment in regard to not even having nuclear weapons on site.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
We were often, (too often in fact) told that the high security was Not due to Nuclear weapons being on British Soil.
Hence my throw away comment in regard to not even having nuclear weapons on site.

In the new american english language ( post Clinton anyway) it all depends on what your definition of "high security" "British Soil" and "nuclear weapons" is.

Case can be made that while the soil under the american base might be British, the things on it actually are on american soil. Kinda like our embasies. They are actually American soil, regardless of where they are in the world.

d

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
I know that this thread is about delivering to military bases but lets take a a little further and see if anyone has delivering to other company or businesses that have high security. I have on my route 2 places that I have to deal with security. One is a jeweler that works in a nondescript building that has only one way glass and no company name on bldg except address. When you buzz in front door they will ask you to look up at camera so they can take a still picture of you. You then go to a second security door before you can get your package off. I have no idea what they do there but the packages are small and very heavy.

My second place is a prison intake (temporary hold) before they get assigned to the big house. I have to stop at front gate and open bulkhead door and back door. They will then make a quick walk-through before giving me go-ahead. When leaving I have to stop at a spot where they will check under my truck (think of the guys who change your oil-like Oil Can Henry's) where they have a stairway under your car. When I get to the front gate the doors must be left open so they can make a final walk-through before they give you the okay to leave.

jetset

pitch and toss
In the new american english language ( post Clinton anyway) it all depends on what your definition of "high security" "British Soil" and "nuclear weapons" is.

Case can be made that while the soil under the american base might be British, the things on it actually are on american soil. Kinda like our embasies. They are actually American soil, regardless of where they are in the world.

d

Dannyboy,
The US airforce took over an airbase due to the Russian Threat in late 48. now given it was already up and running surely that makes for an American Lodger in a british house.
Down now to only two fully functioning bases in the UK it would be fair to say the closure of these would leave a hugh hole in the surrounding area.
Garage sales , halloween , Thanksgiving, the 4th we get to involved in them all. TVs bigger than weve ever seen, hot dog sausages with cheese in the middle (why!!), Jalapeno bites, Budweiser I could go on.
The Servicemen (women) of the USA have been a credit to you for the last sixty years in this area, but when it all ends and the base closes all that will remain is the british soil (and maybe some uneaten tins of sausages with cheese in).
:happy-very:And I bet when you first came in 48 you pomised not to bring any nuclear weapons.:laughing: