for the folks that deliver to military bases.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Not Irish, German actually. But thankyou for the compliment.

As for the service men and women, usually 99% of them are a real representation of what we Yanks are really like. That other 1% or less are the scumbags that somehow got in, but should never have been let in.

I figure the bases in the UK, Germany, Japan etc etc etc will all close over the next few decades, as the push button warfare is much cheaper, and can be waged with smaller loss of life than the way we are fighting now.

Been a few places, going to Germany again this august for two weeks. Been 40+ years since I have been there. Would love to go to your neck of the woods if I had the time. Just to look around.

Getting back to the subject, I used to deliver to one of those non discript jewlery places, they get some real $$$ stuff, lots of it not insured at all. It seems that when you really insure something for a great deal and call attention to yourself, your packages seem to go missing quite often.

I would be interested in knowing what the ratio is between a package not insured for more than 100, and one that is insured for 2000. I would bet that the ones insured have a higher claim rate.

d

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

...I would be interested in knowing what the ratio is between a package not insured for more than 100, and one that is insured for 2000. I would bet that the ones insured have a higher claim rate.d

I would also be interested to see the results of such a survey. I would bet that a high value pkg, which has been properly packaged with no indicating markings on the outside of the box, shipped with only the $100 insurance that each pkg receives automatically, would have a better chance of getting through our system than the high value which has been highlighted or otherwise shows that it is high value.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have delivered a couple of EAMs to Ft. Gillem, which is basically a big warehouse for AAFES (PXes on military bases). I try to avoid this place as much as possible.

I pull up to Guard Gate for search. You have to show Driver's License and Work ID to get a Pass. They open the hood, look in back of P5 with one package in it, and they shove a mirror under the car to look for bombs. Then I get waved through. The addresses are just building numbers on a main street, not always in order. I saved this stop for last both times, it takes a good half hour.