Forced Overtime

Dex8

I am a 4x10 employee, and management continues to force me in on my day off, without even asking if I can work that day they just put me on the schedule. Does anyone know of corporate policy regarding this? I do not sign up for the OT or ask to work extra time at all.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I am a 4x10 employee, and management continues to force me in on my day off, without even asking if I can work that day they just put me on the schedule. Does anyone know of corporate policy regarding this? I do not sign up for the OT or ask to work extra time at all.

DRA has eliminated all OT, so you are in error. Please contact your manager for details. (Basically, if you are FT, they own you).

MAKAVELI

Do you get paid overtime for the other 4 days?

dezguy

Here, they can force FT to work an hour of OT. After that it has to be agreed upon by the employee. As others have said, contact your Labour board and ask what the law is.

Doc Sorting Dude

I think the point he's trying to make is they scheduling him for work on his days off and not informing him. I can see working OT on your regular shift but OT on your day off??

!Retired!

They tried that with me when I was down South. Conversation went like this (during the sort, in front of other drivers)
Me: Hey (managers name), I see you scheduled me on my day off next week. I wish someone asked me first, I have plans.
Manager's face turns red: Let me look at the schedule.
Comes back 10 minutes later
Him: OK, you're off. But, let me know sooner next time.
Me: The schedule went up yesterday after I left the building and you weren't here when I got in. Should I have called you at home? (in a serious note, not sarcastic).
Him: I guess not. (storms off)
The other couriers were shocked and had told me since they scheduled me, I HAD to come in. I won $5 for lunch from one of them :)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Wouldn't it have been more professional of you to have pulled that manager aside for that conversation rather than purposely try to embarrass him in front of the other couriers?

FedExRookie

There is NO federal law that requires

1.5 pay for OT
Notice of OVERTIME
Limit of Overtime

It varies by state and by anything agree'd upon during the hiring process, obviously has to be written in the contract.

!Retired!

Wouldn't it have been more professional of you to have pulled that manager aside for that conversation rather than purposely try to embarrass him in front of the other couriers?
1. I wasn't trying to embarrass him.
2. I had a sort to pull.
3. They never scheduled me again without asking first.
There is NO federal law that requires

1.5 pay for OT
Notice of OVERTIME
Limit of Overtime

It varies by state and by anything agree'd upon during the hiring process, obviously has to be written in the contract.
US Dept. Of Labor states OT must be paid at no less than 1.5X your wage for any time over 40 hours. FedEx pays OT anything over an 8 hour day (10 if your 4/10's). Work 10 hours on Monday and 7 hours Tuesday-Friday, you get 36+2OT.
http://www.dol.gov/whd/overtime_pay.htm

FedExRookie

2. I had a sort to pull.

US Dept. Of Labor states OT must be paid at no less than 1.5X your wage for any time over 40 hours. FedEx pays OT anything over an 8 hour day (10 if your 4/10's). Work 10 hours on Monday and 7 hours Tuesday-Friday, you get 36+2OT.

I stand corrected. I tried looking it up on my phone and nothing.

Thanks for the information.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
2. I had a sort to pull.

It's funny how the same company pulls different things in different locations when it's using the same People Manual. When I worked 4/10, the only time they were able to make me work on my day off was at Peak or Mother's Day weekend. And I was paid OT for ALL the hours I worked on my day off.

hypo hanna

You seem to be excusing the lack of professionalism shown by the manager. Scheduling someone on his day off without checking with him first. After that stunt the least of my concerns would be his embarrassment.

5yearsleft

Standard practice here lately. 4/10's are being required to work their off day about every 2nd or 3rd week. The rest of us have to work Saturdays about once a month. This is NOT an option. They call it "operational needs"

bbsam

Staff member
I don't think so. I've found that with our company it's best to bring that crap out in the open so everyone can be aware of anything that unfair or even illegal. If the manager is embarrassed, then maybe in the future he will think twice about pulling that maneuver not only with that courier but any of them.