Forced Overtime

!Retired!

No. Overtime is supposed to be distributed according to seniority, even if it isn't a draft list issue. If the senior person turns it down, it goes to the next person in-line. The list should be done so there is a rotation, so the senior person who gets OT this Saturday (for example), will drop in the rotation accordingly. This is for supposed equity. We do a sign-up list, and those who want it and have seniority get it.
Voluntary OT starts with the most senior person. If they use a draft list for mandatory, it starts with the least senior. There is no turning down OT if they use the list. In 14+ years, I've never seen the list used. There's always been enough volunteers.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Voluntary OT starts with the most senior person. If they use a draft list for mandatory, it starts with the least senior. There is no turning down OT if they use the list. In 14+ years, I've never seen the list used. There's always been enough volunteers.

If it isn't a draft list (mandatory), it's voluntary. I thought I made that clear...guess not.

Dex8

hello all. thanks for the replies. I live in a 'right to work' state so as far as I can tell it have zero say in the matter without talking to an attorney. I've taken it to HR twice now and nothing has changed. our station is short handed lately, but I have been with express ten years and have never had to deal with being forced in for OT outside of peak. another sign of the times and where this company is headed. the walmartization of America marches on...

DRAisawesome

If your a ten year employee not sure how you don't need the OT. Making little compared to top out. Good luck. Are you on the schedule this Friday?

newgirl

hello all. thanks for the replies. I live in a 'right to work' state so as far as I can tell it have zero say in the matter without talking to an attorney. I've taken it to HR twice now and nothing has changed. our station is short handed lately, but I have been with express ten years and have never had to deal with being forced in for OT outside of peak. another sign of the times and where this company is headed. the walmartization of America marches on...

Where's the person that is supposed to cover your route on the 5th day? Knowing a week in advance that they are going to need you to cover your route isn't operational needs LOL. The voluntary OT list should be gone to first to see if anyone has signed up for OT that day.

Our station has a mandatory OT list. Everyone has a day and they know that day in advance so they don't make plans. They are reminded again during the AM sort that it's their day. (PM really isn't affected much but they do pull them in for P1 sometimes)

What they are doing to you is called being lazy. You should check the voluntary OT list and see who volunteered to work your day off and ask why that person wasn't scheduled-ask the person, too, why they didn't get a shot at the OT.

hypo hanna

If your a ten year employee not sure how you don't need the OT. Making little compared to top out. Good luck. Are you on the schedule this Friday?
He may need the money but he also may need to spend some time with his family. Like newgirl said, this is just lazy local management trying to deal with the company's inability or unwillingness to staff the operations.
If this was happening to me, I would first tell the manager in writing not to be scheduling me on my day off without asking first. Then the next time he did it, I would wait till the day before to tell him I have previous plans.

Dex8

Why do you assume Friday is my day off....? also, as hypo hanna said, this is not a money issue. no one should be concerned whether or not i 'need the money' (as we know the money is chump change at FDX). I am a 4x10 that means i have a day off during the week, and on that day off i plan things that I need to do that i can't get done during the week (appts, etc). It should not be on me to have an excuse as to why I can't be at work on my scheduled day off, should it? FedEx is clearly applying different rules to different employees when it benefits them.

franknitty

"Forced Overtime" means being told by management YOU BETTER sign up to work the day before AND the day of Mother's Day, or we are going to FORCE you to worK BOTH DAYS ! That's how they're operating around these parts ! LOL

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
We hired on as employees, we didn't sell ourselves into bondage. Sometimes our managers are confused between the two.
I say let 'em force me. You won't get any credit for forced overtime by volunteering. Besides I'm not out to make their job any easier than I have to. They blew that opportunity long ago.

Sent using BrownCafe App