Forced Overtime

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You seem to be excusing the lack of professionalism shown by the manager. Scheduling someone on his day off without checking with him first. After that stunt the least of my concerns would be his embarrassment.

I am not excusing his schedule change; however, it should be noted that the change was made in the comfort of his office and not during your PCM in front of the other couriers.

The right thing to do would have been to pull him aside and discuss the situation rather than you purposely trying to embarrass him in front of your co-workers, thus trying to lessen his credibility within the workplace.

MAKAVELI

I am not excusing his schedule change; however, it should be noted that the change was made in the comfort of his office and not during your PCM in front of the other couriers.

The right thing to do would have been to pull him aside and discuss the situation rather than you purposely trying to embarrass him in front of your co-workers, thus trying to lessen his credibility within the workplace.
Our management lost credibility a long time ago.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I don't think so. I've found that with our company it's best to bring that crap out in the open so everyone can be aware of anything that unfair or even illegal. If the manager is embarrassed, then maybe in the future he will think twice about pulling that maneuver not only with that courier but any of them.

The downside to doing it that way is when a courier is trying to be cute in front of his workgroup and then gets embarrassed in front of his workgroup.

59 Dano

maybe that needs to happen also.

Really, if an employee has a legit issue, he should go to HR and take care of it that way and share his answer with his coworkers. Even if he is in the right. The workgroup meeting is never the right place to make a stand. It's rare that there's a benefit to it.

Nine times out of ten an employee thinks he knows a policy or all of the facts that surround a certain circumstance and, oh brother, he's going there. The manager has 2 options. One is to do nothing, look weak, and allow himself to be undermined by an ignorant/misinformed/belligerent employee. The other is to correct the employee in front of everyone, but that can discourage others from asking appropriate questions later on.

There's also a 3rd option, "There is additional information that applies to that situation and I'll be happy to discuss that with you later," but that doesn't work often because the loudmouths don't know when to shut up.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Really, if an employee has a legit issue, he should go to HR and take care of it that way and share his answer with his coworkers. Even if he is in the right. The workgroup meeting is never the right place to make a stand. It's rare that there's a benefit to it.

Nine times out of ten an employee thinks he knows a policy or all of the facts that surround a certain circumstance and, oh brother, he's going there. The manager has 2 options. One is to do nothing, look weak, and allow himself to be undermined by an ignorant/misinformed/belligerent employee. The other is to correct the employee in front of everyone, but that can discourage others from asking appropriate questions later on.

There's also a 3rd option, "There is additional information that applies to that situation and I'll be happy to discuss that with you later," but that doesn't work often because the loudmouths don't know when to shut up.

Of course, "Go to HR". That's the last place anyone should go for anything...unless you're a shill-bot.

dezguy

Any manager I have worked for would rather you come to them regarding policy rather than going above their heads to HR. Saves the manager from having to deal with HR and saves you from having the manager possibly try to get back at you for going over his/her head.

Coca Cola Delivery Man87

Any manager I have worked for would rather you come to them regarding policy rather than going above their heads to HR. Saves the manager from having to deal with HR and saves you from having the manager possibly try to get back at you for going over his/her head.

and that's just basic common sense.Always work up the CoC(Chain of Command) first.Bottom to the top.

bbsam

Staff member

My management team is slow to act. I want my fellow ISPs and drivers pushing the same issues I am. Eventually we get action. If it's one person, I feel like the "divide and conquer" mentality dominates management mentality.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Only if there's a draft list issue.

No. Overtime is supposed to be distributed according to seniority, even if it isn't a draft list issue. If the senior person turns it down, it goes to the next person in-line. The list should be done so there is a rotation, so the senior person who gets OT this Saturday (for example), will drop in the rotation accordingly. This is for supposed equity. We do a sign-up list, and those who want it and have seniority get it.

59 Dano

Of course, "Go to HR". That's the last place anyone should go for anything...unless you're a shill-bot.

Or you can do what most do. Act on a policy that you don't know and misinterpreted anyway. It makes you look really brilliant.

59 Dano

No. Overtime is supposed to be distributed according to seniority, even if it isn't a draft list issue. If the senior person turns it down, it goes to the next person in-line. The list should be done so there is a rotation, so the senior person who gets OT this Saturday (for example), will drop in the rotation accordingly. This is for supposed equity. We do a sign-up list, and those who want it and have seniority get it.

As I was saying about couriers misinterpreting policies that they don't even understand in the first place...