Forced to work 6 days a week. Permanently.

I've been a day sort package handler at UPS in West Columbia ever since July of 2010. For that whole time, my schedule has been Tuesday to Saturday (5 days a week, with the exception of peak season, of course). Recently, we were told that we would have to start working on Mondays as well. We were told that we would be disciplined if we did not come in. It is day shift and only day shift that has to do this 6-day work week now. In my almost 11 years of working here, they have never done anything like this before. Why would they suddenly change their minds now? My supervisor said she didn't even know the reason for the change. It's not even like volume has been high, it's actually been very low (one day last week, we only worked 4 people on my belt and we rarely even work for 3 hours a day).

Has anything like this happened at other facilities? Does anyone have a clue why they would start forcing a regular 6-day work week? If it's for a good cause, like helping with vaccine distribution, then I would be very understanding of that. But then again, why wouldn't they want the other shifts to help if that were the case?

542thruNthru

I've been a day sort package handler at UPS in West Columbia ever since July of 2010. For that whole time, my schedule has been Tuesday to Saturday (5 days a week, with the exception of peak season, of course). Recently, we were told that we would have to start working on Mondays as well. We were told that we would be disciplined if we did not come in. It is day shift and only day shift that has to do this 6-day work week now. In my almost 11 years of working here, they have never done anything like this before. Why would they suddenly change their minds now? My supervisor said she didn't even know the reason for the change. It's not even like volume has been high, it's actually been very low (one day last week, we only worked 4 people on my belt and we rarely even work for 3 hours a day).

Has anything like this happened at other facilities? Does anyone have a clue why they would start forcing a regular 6-day work week? If it's for a good cause, like helping with vaccine distribution, then I would be very understanding of that. But then again, why wouldn't they want the other shifts to help if that were the case?
Have you contacted your local and spoke with your BA?

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge

11 years and you dont know your guranteed 3 and a half

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?

Assuming your covered under the NMA, Art 22 Sec d and the lack of your sort holding the company to this contractual obligations may be part of your problem.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Extended/unusual work period language which does not include a monetary penalty but garuntees no more than 5 days work would be a good start. It probably wont gain traction though since effective language would require weekly stages/thresholds to simultanioudly grant days off to those that need it without denying the company bodies to work on day xyz.

That or we can all finally man up and topple the 50+ hour 6 day work week for good. But I'm not holding my breath.

jclark24

This is for real, someone who works 3 hours a day 5 days a week and gets free rent with a family member, complaining about UPS working them too hard.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
This is for real, someone who works 3 hours a day 5 days a week and gets free rent with a family member, complaining about UPS working them too hard.

The problem is not whether the company is working them too hard. You can’t make plans for your weekend or get things done if you have to work one of those days. If there is not enough help at the hub or whatever to get it done with 5-day workweeks then they need more employees.

I do pay some of the bills, but I'm not here to defend my lifestyle. If you want to be a critic, I'm not going to stop you. It's not about UPS working me too hard. They don't. The issue is now I don't have any days of the week that I can sleep late (because I also go to church on Sunday morning).