forgot to add wife to insurance...

BBTD1

after getting married since she had her own insurance ... is there anyway around this without having to wait til open enrollment whenever that is??
thanks

over9five

Staff member
I believe open enrollment is your opportunity to switch insurance.
You should be able to add someone anytime, give them a call.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You are able to make changes to your insurance enrollment at any time. You may be able to do it online or you may have to do it snail mail but you don't have to wait for open enrollment.

Channahon

Just don't forget her birthday and your wedding anniversary!!!
That might be a bigger problem if you don't have the right insurance coverage.

Dustyroads

Just add her to your insurance, coverage will back date back to the day you got married. They may ask for a copy of the marriage license. If she still has insurance coverage where she works, then that company will be the primary provider, and whatever it doesn't pay, then your Teamster insurance will pay it's normal amount on whatever balance is left. If she no longer has insurance, they yours will cover her just as it does you.

ups1990

It should be no problem to add your Wife. I, added my spouse on the insurance months before open enrollment.

Cementups

Box Monkey
You will have no problem adding her. i just called to request paperwork to add the new kid and asked about adding my 3 yo daughter as well. they said not a problem and to make sure to add my wife as well.

lorri47

Whenever you have a change in your lifestyle such as getting married you can call the benefits line to add your wife. In NJ we call 1-800-353-9877. I think the number may be the same all over.

raceanoncr

Just don't forget her birthday and your wedding anniversary!!!
That might be a bigger problem if you don't have the right insurance coverage.

Uh...I kinda agree here. THAT might be a bigger problem if they don't have the right insurance, but I think there might be a bigger problem if he forgets something like this for a new wife.

Did he forget her in the mall? Is she in the back seat? Forget to latch her in the child's seat? Hmmm....I wonder.

BBTD1

they told me at the benefits line that i had to wait til open enrollment because it was 60 or more days past our wedding date. oh well...when does open enrollment start.

Last edited:
P

pickup

they told me at the benefits line that i had to wait til open enrollment because it was 60 or more days past our wedding date. oh well...when does open enrollment start.

if the "benefits line" was able to tell you about the 60 days stipulation, they should have been able to tell you when open enrollments starts.

If she has her own insurance the only way you can add her after being past the 60 days of marriage AND outside of the open enrollment period is there has to be a significant change. In this case she would have to drop her current insurance and add yours. If you are adding her as supplemental to her primary medical coverage as a supplemental coverage it would be better to wait until open enrollment.