Free money

rkctkc

I'm on the call board in feeders, was told to come in at 11:45pm to work as directed. I went in, got a tractor, did the pre trip. Ivis has no legs scheduled so I ask dispatch what they want me to do. They told me they didn't have anything right this second, to wait in the tractor and they would send me something when it came up. It's almost 6:30am and I'm still sitting in my tractor waiting.

There are actually 4 of us sitting here on the yard waiting.

I've done this several times too. I've waited on a door for 5 hours just for them to tell me nevermind. I've also been sent to the rail yard to bring a trailer back and the train was delayed. Waited 3 hours and then as the crane moved away from my trailer another driver backs under it. I called tofc and someone gave us both the same trailer by mistake. Told to bobtail back..

Working as directed sure is easy money. They just handing cash out.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I'm on the call board in feeders, was told to come in at 11:45pm to work as directed. I went in, got a tractor, did the pre trip. Ivis has no legs scheduled so I ask dispatch what they want me to do. They told me they didn't have anything right this second, to wait in the tractor and they would send me something when it came up. It's almost 6:30am and I'm still sitting in my tractor waiting.

There are actually 4 of us sitting here on the yard waiting.

I've done this several times too. I've waited on a door for 5 hours just for them to tell me nevermind. I've also been sent to the rail yard to bring a trailer back and the train was delayed. Waited 3 hours and then as the crane moved away from my trailer another driver backs under it. I called tofc and someone gave us both the same trailer by mistake. Told to bobtail back..

Working as directed sure is easy money. They just handing cash out.
Yup. They would rather pay people to be there just in case as opposed to finding out they cannot move a load because they have no drivers.

Your couple hundred bucks is nothing compared to refunding shipping on a trailer full of packages. A thousand packages at $7-$15 each.

I've sat at a hub before for 3 hours and then told to take an empty.

I've sat in dispatch for 9 hours during heavy snowfalls as a backup in case something happened. Easy money but boring.

Packages make money. Feeders spend money.

MaceFremonti

Was paid 13.92 hours a few months back to take.an empty to NEWPA then bobtail to the Pittsburgh railyard. I sat there for HOURS, no train, no other drivers, no shifters, nothing. Just me, my tractor, and an empty railyard. At just about hour 10 dispatch called me and told me to bobtail back.

When I got home my wife said, "WOW! You are late today! You must have had a busy day. They make you shift all day?"

"It was rough babe. Don't know how I did it!"

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Its 7:45am Just punched out. Didn't do anything all night.
image.jpg

rod

Retired 22 years
Its not only feeders---as a delivery driver I was once asked to go back out after returning to the building for the night to make a pickup in a town 55 miles away that was supposedly missed. When I got there the person I talked to said they didn't know anything about it so I called the center and they said to come on back. Apparently after I hung up (this was before cell phones) some one at this company found the package that was to go out and called our center again so they sent another driver out. I met him about half way back and we waved (and laughed) at each other. Also our center was notorious for having 28 drivers sit around for a half hour or more waiting on a dozen late air being flown in.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
I have seen a guy whip out his ipad and play candy crush at the ingate while waiting to get his seal cut. That's how relaxed feeders is