"Freedom of Speech"; When am I "Free", to speak my mind?

ol'browneye

Don't hold back. Let her know who's the boss! If you need a place to stay, I have an extra room. I'm a damn good cook too. Just don't give me any lip or I'll crown you with my frying pan!:happy-very:

That's right! Just remember, you are the man of the house and you can have sex anytime [-]you[/-], I mean she, wants you to!:wink2:

ol'browneye

I believe in the freedom of speech and expression, but it has it's limits.
The Miranda warning starts off;
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you.
I, as most, am guilty of not using my right to silence, when I should keep my mouth shut.

Everybody has the right to remain silent. Some just don't have the ability!
(ala Ron White)

ol'browneye

In all seriousness, I do believe in the freedom of speech. But too many people use the freedom of speech as a license to say anything they want about anybody or any entity. At a certain point it can become slanderous and hurtful and if a judge agrees with the slandered party, that freedom of speech isn't free anymore, it could co$t you big time!

Last edited:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I believe in the freedom of speech also. I'm just not stupid enough to believe that what I say isn't going to have repercussions. Some of which I may not have even cosidered.

P

pickup

I was once in a chatroom with the moderator being from canada. Apparently, their concept of freedom of speech is a little more limited than ours. However, we have started adopting some of their concepts, examples being "Hate speech" which is punishable in some municipalities (usually liberal, as far as I can tell).

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
I'm having a difficult time understanding what the confusion is, here...

"freedom of speech/expression" guarantees you no persecution from the government from speaking your mind.

As for anyone other than government, all bets are off. You do have the freedom to say anything you want at all (as long as what you say doesn't affect the rights of others)

Let's simplify - If I go on an internet forum, and say my wife is so fat she uses two zip codes, I've practiced my freedom of speech/expression. And if she reads it, no matter how much I explain the constitution, she is gonna kick my ass.

Say something about UPS, when you so very obviously do not want to be anonymous, and you are pointing a loaded pistol at your head. Not ups specific - any employ in the real world.

Sammie

Don't hold back. Let her know who's the boss! If you need a place to stay, I have an extra room. I'm a damn good cook too. Just don't give me any lip or I'll crown you with my frying pan!:happy-very:

Other Famous RoomMates:

Al Gore and Tommy Lee Jones

r.TLandGore.jpg

Actor Tommy Lee Jones and Former Vice President Al Gore (and eventually John Lithgow) shared a room at Harvard and, like plenty of college roomies, chased skirts together, even joining a country music band to get girls. The unlikely duo also served as the inspiration for the character of Oliver in Love Story, written by fellow Harvard alum Erich Segal.

Joe Montana and Charlie Weis

roommates%20-%20weis%20and%20montana.jpg

Charlie Weis may run a pretty no-nonsense football program at Notre Dame, but back when he was a student there, he was fond of playing pranks on roommate (and quarterback) Joe Montana.

Ving Rhames and Stanley Tucci

images
images

Actor Ving Rhames probably wouldn’t have carved out his successful career if it weren’t for roommate Stanley Tucci. While at SUNY Purchase, Tucci convinced Rhames to shorten his name from Irving. And let’s face it, that was probably a good career move; Marsellus Wallace just wouldn’t be the same played by someone named Irving.

David Lynch and Peter Wolf

roommates-%20wolf%20and%20lynch.jpg

While attending the School of the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, Peter Wolf, lead vocalist for the J. Giels Band, ended up rooming with surrealist director David Lynch. The kicker, though, is that Lynch ended up kicking Wolf out of the apartment, saying that he was “too weird.” As if anything could be too weird for David.

Christopher Reeve and Robin Williams

roommates-%20williams%20and%20reeves.jpg

At Julliard, roomies Robin Williams and Christopher Reeve vowed to always be friends and help each other throughout life. Both held true to the promise, as they remained close. Williams even covered some of Reeve’s medical expenses after he was paralyzed. Of course, being Robin Williams, he couldn’t stop there; after Reeve found out he couldn’t walk again, Williams visited him dressed as a doctor and pretending to be his proctologist, reportedly causing Reeve to smile for the first time since the accident.

MechanicForBrown

Prblm found,part on order
This might sound weird;
My mother always said to me " if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all"
Unfortunately I believe this is good advice in todays world!
I believe it's one's right to say what they feel in regards to ANYTHING but should be cautious of slander and disrespect to a person or a company or group.
on the other hand they say "the squeaky wheel gets the grease", and this is sometimes true, I've seen it allot. But I remind my self that there are and can be serious repercussions for what is said aloud and I try to refrain from being to negative with something! I really don't need any grease!!
and as far as freedom of speech at home, me and the Mrs are on the understanding that we can say anything we feel and we encourage this when we feel frustrated about something. We have been together since middle school and this openness in our relation ship has worked well for us, but I am sure it doesn't work for all. Just saying that you can change what you do about something but can't change your feelings like that!
I do feel that something said about a company or a picture posted on a forum should not be taken out of context and someone disciplined for it, if that post or picture is obviously an opinion and does not represent slander toward said company. unfortunately whats allowed this week might not be allowed next week. JMHO

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I had a talk with my B.A. on Saturday. He tells me that I needn't worry about what I say on here. I did explain what I had said, and he said he didn't see what the fuss was, as I was only telling it like "I" saw it. I didn't harass or lie about anything or anyone, and I didn't expose any trade secrets. He did say that he could see why UPS would have a problem with me taking pictures of their technology, I.E. DIADS, PAS/EDD equipment and the "inside" of pkg cars.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I had a talk with my B.A. on Saturday. He tells me that I needn't worry about what I say on here. I did explain what I had said, and he said he didn't see what the fuss was, as I was only telling it like "I" saw it. I didn't harass or lie about anything or anyone, and I didn't expose any trade secrets. He did say that he could see why UPS would have a problem with me taking pictures of their technology, I.E. DIADS, PAS/EDD equipment and the "inside" of pkg cars.

Cool, let's here a story about your Center Monster and your On Car Stupervisor.

I can see how UPS could try to make a case of taking pictures of the technology but to actually be concerned? How many people in the world have not seen a DIAD before, that would have the knowledge to reproduce any technology? It isn't like you opened it up and took pictures of the circuit board. What great secrets are hidden inside a package car, I mean really secrets? Steve, I haven't seen one pic you posted that would give a competitor a step toward hurting our business. They are all excuses to harass you.

Now as far as the BA telling you not to worry about anything. Our BA says the same until it comes down to the castration ceremony and he starts singing in a higher octave. Needless to say, I don't explicitly trust him either.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Why would we wan't the competition to see the technology that puts a 2085 Hwy 45 PAL label on a pkg that reads 2085 County Road FF.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
...Or the advanced "Non-Canceling directional indicator illuminators", or perhaps the "audible sensory deprivation dashboard"

Oh, I know, it's the "manual reverse-direction audible indicator system"

MechanicForBrown

Prblm found,part on order
What if they copy our 2 point seatbelt technology???!!
OK I've herd enough about this seatbelt thing, I'm going to corporate in Atlanta and will march up the steps of the Ivory hookah tower and straight to the head automotive guy in the company and tell him that " I'm mechanic #1942725 from Chema 0180 and I demand 3 point seat-belts for all package car drivers and I will not back down!!!"
And while I'm there I will advocate 3 point belts for all supervisors office chairs so they don't fall and hurt themselves as they trip from that last blast of smoke from the home made hookah trash cans in their offices!
this 3 point technology will prevent sudden face is droopy syndrome and random drooling on yourself requiring a bib syndrome!!

Maybe the "Popeye Forearm Assist Steering System" in pre 95 vehicles.
But I bet you do have strong forearms! LOL