"Freedom of Speech"; When am I "Free", to speak my mind?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'm kind of surprised at since you in the communications venue.

to me the answer is real simple. when you take a job you represent the employer and basically have to conform to his rules.

Your remark was taken out of context.
I was replying to a Union represented employee ... as a management employee, with no negotiation power in this respect, you are correct.

sendagain

I watched a guy put a district manager on the ropes years ago during a yearly meeting after hours when they told you where the company was going. He got his licks in and was fired a few weeks later for improper package handling; had him dead to rights on a video. You can be free as a bird, and you can also be unemployed. You choose.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I watched a guy put a district manager on the ropes years ago during a yearly meeting after hours when they told you where the company was going. He got his licks in and was fired a few weeks later for improper package handling; had him dead to rights on a video. You can be free as a bird, and you can also be unemployed. You choose.
That's 2 different things. He didn't get fired for speaking his mind.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm not Boyd. I heard the company in question was furious over the article, and the driver was fired. That's all I know.

As UPS employees we represent our employer and, yes, our freedom of speech is limited. I looked at the picture and all I saw was a little girl pretending to be a grown up. I do think our driver was out of line for expressing his opinion but am torn as to whether he should have lost his job over that or not.

bluehdmc

I don't think our driver was out of line for expressing his opinion, he just shouldn't have done it as a "UPS Driver".
I hope he gets his job back.
Children imitate what they see, with all the people I see talking on the cell while driving, I'm sure children will imitate this behaviour. Like the article references candy cigarettes.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I just read through some of the comments and this one summed it up (for me):

I'm surprised that a UPS driver is willing to put his employer's customers in such a negative spotlight. Perhaps he and Bob could start a blog discussing the morality and "message" of everything he ships. If I were a shipping manager at Little Tykes I would seriously consider switching to FedEx over this bad press. MYOB.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
As UPS employees we represent our employer and, yes, our freedom of speech is limited. I looked at the picture and all I saw was a little girl pretending to be a grown up. I do think our driver was out of line for expressing his opinion but am torn as to whether he should have lost his job over that or not.
People talk "smack" all the time. We all have opinions, and unless you hear me say that the opinion I am expressing is not only my own, but that of my employer, than why should my job be at risk? For example, I walk into a business and upon entering, smell a fowl odor and proceed to express that it stinks. Should my job be in jeopardy? As far as my opinion on the picture in question, I have none.

I just read through some of the comments and this one summed it up (for me):

I'm surprised that a UPS driver is willing to put his employer's customers in such a negative spotlight. Perhaps he and Bob could start a blog discussing the morality and "message" of everything he ships. If I were a shipping manager at Little Tykes I would seriously consider switching to FedEx over this bad press. MYOB.
And as usual, you've sided with a manager.

bluehdmc

Maybe the real problem is the reporter. In his attempt to fill up space and write x # of lines, he mentions the UPS driver. His next fill in paragraph goes on to mention the company recieved, "loans, grants, and incentives to stick around". (I guess they threatened to move elsewhere). Neither of which really have any bearing on giving a child a toy car and cell phone. The real story is the toy sets a bad example for children but that wasn't enough for the page space the reporter was required to fill.
Maybe a better exercise for the reporter would be to walk around a toy store and find other examples of questionable influences in toys.