Frequently Asked Questions About the union

Disgruntled2

I think "peak oil" is a bit of a misnomer. Haven't they found and established ways of getting oil since the declaration of reaching "peak oil"? Couple that with increased efficiencies and the concept of peak oil drops
in relative importance.
All other factors being considered, oil prices are determined by commodity futures trading.

The idea that this is all supply and demand related seems just plain off. There is simply no shortage. Open up the Keystone pipeline and it would also do nothing for US prices. It is all at the global level where prices are managed. The US does the same thing with natural gas supplies. They have so much of it they shut down facilities in the hopes that the artificial shortage will drive up.demand and prices.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You still haven't helped me determine where you want the line drawn so that we can tell which of us Democrats have to leave. Claire McCaskill? Mary Landrew? I keep naming all these conservative Democrats and I really do wonder who would be left. The Montana governor? I forget his name. Isaac he too far right?

A conservative democrat is a contradictory term. Putting people back to work at jobs like Ground isn't really helping anyone but you and Fred. Ground is dragging the rest of us down by lowering the bar of expectations.

Like I said, Ground is a GOP wet dream, Romney's vision of the American workforce realized. How dare you call yourself a liberal.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Republicans want to put people back to work believe it or not. Generally if you get the national unemployment under 5% the ones not working either can't or won't. Low unemployment means things are booming and there are opportunities for people willing to risk and work hard. Keeping a large % of the workforce on the public dole means the economy is in the doldrums. Sure large corporations are doing well in this environment but we could be doing much better. And even with the emphasis on Ground we at Express would be doing much better in a booming economy. Our President needs to stop the class warfare and do what's necessary to get things in gear. First and foremost is getting fuel prices considerably lower. And we all know that's not going to happen.

Republicans want people back at work on their terms, which means accepting low wages and crappy retirement programs and benefits. Witness the influx of these types of jobs in the South and Mid-South. Boeing, for example, just committed an investment of $1B in South Carolina, presumably because it wants a non-union workforce. SC is providing Boeing with $120M in incentives if Boeing meets certain investment targets, and in return, Boeing has promised 2,000 new jobs. So, the GOP-led SC government pays-off Boeing and they "invest" in South Carolina. How much will each of those jobs cost, realizing, of course, that there will be a multiplier effect as sub-contractors and other ancillary businesses locate in SC? These jobs will also pay less, because they are in SC, where "job creators" like to create jobs.

Class warfare? FOX talking point, my friend. Yes, Obama has declared "war" on the Fred S's of the world, who basically already own the political process, and have all the advantages our government can provide for them. What a load of crap. If anything, these folks have almost carte blanche' freedoms, and anyone who challenges these princes of industry is accused by FOX-types of being anti American. BS. Obama is smart enough to know that fracking represents considerable environmental risk, a risk which could far outweigh the economic benefits of cheaper oil.

The GOP wants all of us in the former middle-class to be compliant worker bees content with $14 per hour, no pension or a very small one, and zero chance of unionization. This is Ground, and it is Republican nirvana. Sorry you cannot see that.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
You still haven't helped me determine where you want the line drawn so that we can tell which of us Democrats have to leave. Claire McCaskill? Mary Landrew? I keep naming all these conservative Democrats and I really do wonder who would be left. The Montana governor? I forget his name. Isaac he too far right?

A conservative democrat is a contradictory term. Putting people back to work at jobs like Ground isn't really helping anyone but you and Fred. Ground is dragging the rest of us down by lowering the bar of expectations.
Companies like Ground poison the American working environment with these BS ISP/IC models and which MFE pointed out only help the wealthies and few contractors.
No wonder we still keep saying Ground sucks. And it always will.

vantexan

Republicans want people back at work on their terms, which means accepting low wages and crappy retirement programs and benefits. Witness the influx of these types of jobs in the South and Mid-South. Boeing, for example, just committed an investment of $1B in South Carolina, presumably because it wants a non-union workforce. SC is providing Boeing with $120M in incentives if Boeing meets certain investment targets, and in return, Boeing has promised 2,000 new jobs. So, the GOP-led SC government pays-off Boeing and they "invest" in South Carolina. How much will each of those jobs cost, realizing, of course, that there will be a multiplier effect as sub-contractors and other ancillary businesses locate in SC? These jobs will also pay less, because they are in SC, where "job creators" like to create jobs.

Class warfare? FOX talking point, my friend. Yes, Obama has declared "war" on the Fred S's of the world, who basically already own the political process, and have all the advantages our government can provide for them. What a load of crap. If anything, these folks have almost carte blanche' freedoms, and anyone who challenges these princes of industry is accused by FOX-types of being anti American. BS. Obama is smart enough to know that fracking represents considerable environmental risk, a risk which could far outweigh the economic benefits of cheaper oil.

The GOP wants all of us in the former middle-class to be compliant worker bees content with $14 per hour, no pension or a very small one, and zero chance of unionization. This is Ground, and it is Republican nirvana. Sorry you cannot see that.

They've been fracking for quite awhile now. Dems are against fracking because they are against fossil fuels, period. Our economy runs on oil and there's no viable alternative in sight. You've made your living off of oil haven't you? As for those jobs in SC...look at Detroit and tell me where high pay and great benefits get you. Look at Stockton, CA, declaring bankruptcy because of absolutely ludicrous promises to city workers. Unfortunately greed is very American, and it ain't just Repubs being greedy.

vantexan

Van, that is incredibly disingenuous of you. Your comparison of gas prices at the end of Bush's term? Really? If you know anything about the energy markets, you know full well that we don't have supply problems. There is no shortage. That is not what keeps prices elevated. Much deeper than supply and demand. Its not at all a "free market", it is completely controlled by big oil and the profit they demand.

Then why was it half the price under Bush? And again, gas taxes are more per gallon than the oil companies profit. Is Obama in bed with Big Oil?

MAKAVELI

They've been fracking for quite awhile now. Dems are against fracking because they are against fossil fuels, period. Our economy runs on oil and there's no viable alternative in sight. You've made your living off of oil haven't you? As for those jobs in SC...look at Detroit and tell me where high pay and great benefits get you. Look at Stockton, CA, declaring bankruptcy because of absolutely ludicrous promises to city workers. Unfortunately greed is very American, and it ain't just Repubs being greedy.
Just like a republican to blame labor for businesses going bankrupt or city workers for a city that was probably one of the areas hit hardest by the recession. You need to do some research first before you make :censored2: comments like that. You only make yourself and others that think like you look ignorant.

MAKAVELI

Van, that is incredibly disingenuous of you. Your comparison of gas prices at the end of Bush's term? Really? If you know anything about the energy markets, you know full well that we don't have supply problems. There is no shortage. That is not what keeps prices elevated. Much deeper than supply and demand. Its not at all a "free market", it is completely controlled by big oil and the profit they demand.

Then why was it half the price under Bush? And again, gas taxes are more per gallon than the oil companies profit. Is Obama in bed with Big Oil?
The federal fuel tax is actually less than half of the total taxes paid per gallon of fuel. The majority of the taxes are put on by the individual states. Which Obama has no control over.

thedownhillEXPRESS

The record high gas price occurred under Bush.
Oil hit nearly 150 a barrel.
Then his fake economy crashed and so did gas prices.
You are really being dishonest.

thedownhillEXPRESS

The summer of 2008 gas was over 4.10 a gallon.
Diesel was over 5.
Obama didn't even have the democratic nomination at this point.
Why do republicans always lie?
Because they have to, facts aren't on their side ..ever!
Van should be hailing Obama, a barrel of oil is under a hundred bucks vs the 150 during oil man Bush

Last edited:

bbsam

Staff member

Like I said, Ground is a GOP wet dream, Romney's vision of the American workforce realized. How dare you call yourself a liberal.

then get a list of congressional members you would likelke to run out of the party. Soon the democrats would have the same ignorant "purity tests" that the Tea Party insists on.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
then get a list of congressional members you would likelke to run out of the party. Soon the democrats would have the same ignorant "purity tests" that the Tea Party insists on.

I'm not advocating for purity tests or other ridiculous ideas. Just pointing out that a lot of today's "Democrats" seem OK with Republican-style ideas as far as workers are concerned. Apparently, that includes you. Liberal Democrats advocate for middle-class jobs. Ground jobs are not middle-class.

bbsam

Staff member
I'm not advocating for purity tests or other ridiculous ideas. Just pointing out that a lot of today's "Democrats" seem OK with Republican-style ideas as far as workers are concerned. Apparently, that includes you. Liberal Democrats advocate for middle-class jobs. Ground jobs are not middle-class.
Well then, sir, I ask again. Which of the democrats are not "left" enough for you? You suggested that I should become a Republican.. Which of the "not left enough" demcrats with real power would you like to move on? I am quite certain Mitch McConnell would welcome many conservative Democratic senators as Republicans immediately, don't you think? As much as you may hate some of the votes they make, it is the big tent of the Democratic party that has it positioned to win national elections for a long time. Or would you prefer to cede those votes to establishment Republicans?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Well then, sir, I ask again. Which of the democrats are not "left" enough for you? You suggested that I should become a Republican.. Which of the "not left enough" demcrats with real power would you like to move on? I am quite certain Mitch McConnell would welcome many conservative Democratic senators as Republicans immediately, don't you think? As much as you may hate some of the votes they make, it is the big tent of the Democratic party that has it positioned to win national elections for a long time. Or would you prefer to cede those votes to establishment Republicans?

You seem to be trying to avert my original accusation, which is how someone who is a Democrat (no matter what flavor) can support a GOP-style enterprise like Ground. Instead of asking me who is "left enough", answer me why you think you deserve to keep your Democratic credentials when you operate a business that is the antithesis of Democratic principles.

vantexan

The federal fuel tax is actually less than half of the total taxes paid per gallon of fuel. The majority of the taxes are put on by the individual states. Which Obama has no control over.

And profit per gallon is less than the taxes per gallon. Apparently you think they are supposed to spend billions on equipment, payroll, exploration, distribution, refinement without making a profit. And by the way the oil industry is pretty generous to it's employees.

vantexan

Just like a republican to blame labor for businesses going bankrupt or city workers for a city that was probably one of the areas hit hardest by the recession. You need to do some research first before you make :censored2: comments like that. You only make yourself and others that think like you look ignorant.

Get it straight from the liberals's mouth. Google Stockton CA bankruptcy pensions and look at the article from the Huffington Post describing in detail how Stockton mismanaged it's finances. Your problem son is you think there's an endless stream of money that someone is denying you access to. In the case of gov't employees the pensions, healthcare, etc come from our taxes, not from an industry selling products. And in a down economy all that generosity catches up with you.

vantexan

And what is your source proving "purity tests"? Boy, the Tea Party is an easy target for you guys. Mostly retirees worried about their healthcare and runaway spending. Real enemies of the State, huh?

vantexan

You seem to be trying to avert my original accusation, which is how someone who is a Democrat (no matter what flavor) can support a GOP-style enterprise like Ground. Instead of asking me who is "left enough", answer me why you think you deserve to keep your Democratic credentials when you operate a business that is the antithesis of Democratic principles.

It's not a GOP-style enterprise. But I do concede your point about Democrat principles. Ground is a money making for profit enterprise. Democrats get their money through the usual graft and corruption.

bbsam

Staff member

Wow. That is assuming alot. Just how "democratic" can the principles be if there has been absolutely no push to remove contracting as a method of business in...well forever? Go back and research some years friend the names I mentioned, all of them Democrats and all of them very business friendly. You can call contracting a "Republican" model and you may find alot of Republicans who are contractors but what makes the model Republican? And the only "credentials" I have is my voting record.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Wow. That is assumin alot. Just how "deocratic" can the principles be if there has been absolutely no push to remove contracting as a method of business in...well forever? Go back and research some years friend the names I mentioned, all of them Democrats and all of them very business friendly. You can call contracting a "Republican" model and you may find alot of republics cans who are democrats, but what makes the model Republican? And the only "credentials" I have is my voting record.

Contracting is fine, so I'm not objecting to that method of business. However, the Ground business model doesn't exactly synch with Democratic principles.