FT Combination Driver questions

Jaure

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a few questions regarding the same topic (22.4). My center posted several 22.4 positions this round and i am a "runner up" for lack of a better term. I have recited the 5's and 10's, done the physical and will probably do a road test this week. BUT, this is not a guarantee of a position (15 positions, and i was #16 or 17). While in HR, the rep informed me of a TCD posting that had gone up this week. She explained all the rough differences of TCD vs 22.4 like the 30 punches to be locked in to pay rate, and FT vs PT, differing pay rate for warehouse work vs onroad, etc... A little background, I am a grizzled veteran of the package delivery war, but I served in the "air force" and switched branches. The 22.4 position seems like something that would be up my alley. I was a swing driver in my previous service, so i know the downfalls and abuse the TCDs likely endure.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a few questions regarding the same topic (22.4). My center posted several 22.4 positions this round and i am a "runner up" for lack of a better term. I have recited the 5's and 10's, done the physical and will probably do a road test this week. BUT, this is not a guarantee of a position (15 positions, and i was #16 or 17). While in HR, the rep informed me of a TCD posting that had gone up this week. She explained all the rough differences of TCD vs 22.4 like the 30 punches to be locked in to pay rate, and FT vs PT, differing pay rate for warehouse work vs onroad, etc... A little background, I am a grizzled veteran of the package delivery war, but I served in the "air force" and switched branches. The 22.4 position seems like something that would be up my alley. I was a swing driver in my previous service, so i know the downfalls and abuse the TCDs likely endure.
22.4 is a full time job. Starting pay is $20.50 an hour

Jaure

That post was incomplete. There was a question that was supposed to be in there, but the BC server wasn't responding when i tried to post it. My question is, would it be more beneficial to start out as a TCD, lock in pay rate (red circle??) and change to 22.4 or just go for the 22.4 from the start. The TCDs in my center seem to be (over)worked, and i'm sure that won't end soon with summer coming up. Pay difference would be great, especially after doing 6 months at $14, but I'm not sure I wanna get into running blind routes again.

542thruNthru

That post was incomplete. There was a question that was supposed to be in there, but the BC server wasn't responding when i tried to post it. My question is, would it be more beneficial to start out as a TCD, lock in pay rate (red circle??) and change to 22.4 or just go for the 22.4 from the start. The TCDs in my center seem to be (over)worked, and i'm sure that won't end soon with summer coming up. Pay difference would be great, especially after doing 6 months at $14, but I'm not sure I wanna get into running blind routes again.

I don't know where you are but personally I think once this mess is over we will slow down a ton and layoffs will happen. If a TCD is a technically a PTer than you'll go back to loading trucks at PT rate and hours. If you take the FT position you may get laid off but you'll get 8 hours at least. Of course this depends on your supplemental contract.

Last edited:

Whither

Scofflaw
Can't really speak to how long it make take you to go from 22.4 to RPCD, it's all new with the last contract.

My building only started hiring 22.4s about 9 months ago. The sharper 22.4s started bidding routes ASAP, and in a couple cases, won bids with a couple months seniority. Those routes were in other centers, but I'm sure they must have been cake routes. :lol:

Mgmt held the 22.4s weren't eligible to bid and instead forced the lowest seniority RPCD in the center onto the route. Despite having more than a year to get this figured out, the hall only settled the requirements for 22.4s to bid into RPCD jobs after the 22.4s with winning bids cried foul: 6 months.

Whither

Scofflaw
Same here. I tell everyone if you weren't scheduled on your day off shut the phone off.

My routine got thrown out of whack with all the long days last week and I forgot to check both Fri night and Sat to make sure they hadn't scheduled me today (6th punch). So I called, got ahold of an OMS and asked my schedule. She knew exactly why I was calling, "I don't think they scheduled you Monday but let me double-check." I said, "Right on, but if I am scheduled I'm also calling to say I can't be in today." She cracked up. I wasn't scheduled.

Last edited:
My routine got thrown out of whack with long days last week and I forgot to check both Fri night and Sat to make sure they hadn't scheduled me today (6th punch). So I called, got ahold of an OMS and asked. She knew why I was calling, "I don't think they scheduled you Monday but let me double-check." I said, "Right on, but if I am scheduled I'm also calling to say I can't be in today." She cracked up. I wasn't scheduled.
They have been pulling some BS trying to tell somebody's younger guys that they are on call. We don't have on call for full-time drivers

JJinVA

I just landed a 22.4 also, but Ive been driving as a temp since last peak. HR told me that meant I would be starting at my current rate of $27.14 with a top rate of $37 because Im a qualified temp driver. But I still have to qualify for the 22.4 (which I think will be gravy because management seems to like me and I often beat Orion anyways even on shatty routes, maybe only by a few clicks but still).

My understanding is you have to be a 22.4 now before you can become a full time regular driver. I think the only real difference is you get 9.5 protection as a FT driver and as a 22.4 you get shafted and can be worked into the ground. Once youre full time though you can file grievances when they work you over 9.5. I saw the Union reps leaving the center the other day with a bible's worth of grievances of drivers getting paid for that exactly. They said they had already paid out $6000 in grievances last week lol

As far as "when" you become a FT driver, it all depends on how many older heads are retiring, how many ppl have accidents and get DQ'ed, fired etc. Youre in line to the FT driver roller coaster just like me. Its our turn when its our turn kind of thing.

I just landed a 22.4 also, but Ive been driving as a temp since last peak. HR told me that meant I would be starting at my current rate of $27.14 with a top rate of $37 because Im a qualified temp driver. But I still have to qualify for the 22.4 (which I think will be gravy because management seems to like me and I often beat Orion anyways even on shatty routes, maybe only by a few clicks but still).

My understanding is you have to be a 22.4 now before you can become a full time regular driver. I think the only real difference is you get 9.5 protection as a FT driver and as a 22.4 you get shafted and can be worked into the ground. Once youre full time though you can file grievances when they work you over 9.5. I saw the Union reps leaving the center the other day with a bible's worth of grievances of drivers getting paid for that exactly. They said they had already paid out $6000 in grievances last week lol
You shouldn't have to qualify again, unless you have some bad language in your contract
You're already qualified driver

JJinVA

You shouldn't have to qualify again, unless you have some bad language in your contract
You're already qualified driver

They said that peak doesnt count as a qualifying period as far as that goes. But when I asked HR what starting pay and top rate was, she asked me "how long have you been a temp driver>", I said, "since last peak, and then Ive run air pretty much every day since along with preload", and she said "ok then you are a qualified temp driver". *shrug* I didnt question it. Wasnt gonna talk myself out of money, but the center manager told me I do have to qualify still. Im fine with it either way. Just happy to have the opportunity tbh

They said that peak doesnt count as a qualifying period as far as that goes. But when I asked HR what starting pay and top rate was, she asked me "how long have you been a temp driver>", I said, "since last peak, and then Ive run air pretty much every day since along with preload", and she said "ok then you are a qualified temp driver". *shrug* I didnt question it. Wasnt gonna talk myself out of money, but the center manager told me I do have to qualify still. Im fine with it either way. Just happy to have the opportunity tbh
Do your chance talk to your steward and make sure you are a red circle in under your old pay rate

clean hairy

Next week when I get back from vacation we've got 8 guys on vacation. We damn near died with 6 gone. Can't wait to see what 2 more plus our lack of trucks produces . I drove my crappy diesel all day Friday praying it didn't crap out because we had no trucks to bring me. Mechanics exact words "I don't give a :censored2: if your bring it in on one cylinder just get it back." Nice guys. Let's totally :censored2: one of the last twelve cubes we have left. Great plan
Find an old piston somewhere, maybe a repair shop has one laying around?
Give it to the mechanic when you get in.
"I managed to get it back on one cylinder!"
His reaction should be priceless!

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?
Find an old piston somewhere, maybe a repair shop has one laying around?
Give it to the mechanic when you get in.
"I managed to get it back on one cylinder!"
His reaction should be priceless!

Haha I like it. This is the same mechanic, during peak 3 years ago, battery died and he says turn everything off and wait 15 minutes then try to start it again. Now I'm not a car guy but even I was left saying wtf do you do for a living? I got the last laugh when he had to come change my battery in the cvs parking lot.

Jcoe77

Hey hope all is well ft combination road test is manual or automatic? It would be a blessing if someone can reach out to me thank you in advance have a bless day