Fuelish stupidity

P

pickup

Damn, did[-] I[/-] that guy that came out make a pass at you?

he was like brett favre with two minutes on the clock and down by two touchdowns, he was making a pass at any thing that moved. Didn't matter if the guy played for the other team or not, if he saw him, he threw a pass.

D

Dis-organized Labor

sober, just think about this, that is 9 gallons of fuel (what does a gallon weigh? ) that the truck is not transporting the next day. That is less fuel consumed as a result of less weight on the truck. Multiply this effect by all the trucks in the fleet and the earth is greener:wink2:

About 6.5 pounds per gallon.
I also think the less times that fuel is pumped, regardless of amount, the less carbon released to the atmosphere

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
About 6.5 pounds per gallon.
I also think the less times that fuel is pumped, regardless of amount, the less carbon released to the atmosphere

True.

However...if I am forced to wait in a long line for my turn at the pump I must continually restart the engine every time I move forward in line, which itself wastes fuel.

As for the additional 80 lbs of fuel I am hauling around...the additional weight gives me increased traction on gravel roads, which reduces wheelspin, which reduces engine RPM's, which saves fuel.....

Most importantly of all....the 5 minutes my supervisor spent whining at me about that extra fuel was 5 minutes of additional hot air and greenhouse gases he emitted into the atmosphere.

D

Dis-organized Labor

True.

However...if I am forced to wait in a long line for my turn at the pump I must continually restart the engine every time I move forward in line, which itself wastes fuel.

As for the additional 80 lbs of fuel I am hauling around...the additional weight gives me increased traction on gravel roads, which reduces wheelspin, which reduces engine RPM's, which saves fuel.....

Most importantly of all....the 5 minutes my supervisor spent whining at me about that extra fuel was 5 minutes of additional hot air and greenhouse gases he emitted into the atmosphere.

I've seen lots of people create BS "initiatives", (Green and otherwise), because:
a). They're looking for some Brownie points
b). They really are under-dispatched
c). They're ego-maniacs that actually believe that what they're doing makes sense and is in the best interest of the company
d). They have an deep rooted under-achiever syndrome that they cannot shake
e). Other

In our center, the carwashers fill the tank. It is our responsibility to look into the tank and be certain it is full of gas. We can't use the guage: if the guage is broken and we run out of gas, the driver takes the blame, not the carwasher.
Now suppose a route that did not gas up that day is sent to help someone or run a split that adds too many miles to the route? Even though management instructed him to not fill the tank, they will try to find a way to blame him for it. More UPS idiocy.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Another good reason to keep the tank full is that diesel fuel absorps water. A full tank helps to prevent moisture buildup and condensation, especially up here in the rainy Pacific Northwest.

The Milkman

When I drove I had an Rd rte. it varied if I had to go off rte to help someone out.I always had to refuel because I used more than 1/2 a tank a day. I used to hate it when I came in on Mondays just to find that an air driver took my truck and left me short on fuel. After 22 years you should know that if it makes sense UPS thinks the other way.. I once had to borrow a few gallons of gas late at night from a customer during peak as I went over 200 miles that day in Jersey.. Penny wise and dollar foolish as usual.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
he was like brett favre with two minutes on the clock and down by two touchdowns, he was making a pass at any thing that moved. Didn't matter if the guy played for the other team or not, if he saw him, he threw a pass.

Sure miss that here in Green Bay. Minnesota doesn't ealize he will break there hearts eventually playing like this.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
200 miles a day and I make it back on fumes daily. My saving grace on days where all my extended stops get something is I pull the TP60 for the satalitites so when needed I just use one of thier fuel cards. With that said though I have ran out of fuel on three occasions. Like said previously you just sit and wait, the sad thing is you always ALMOST make it. So you sit for an hour being only a few miles away. Also we are lucky enough to have "Car-Washers" so that we just park and it magically gets done for us over night. However unfortunately this is a company that we WORK for, and basically they make the rules regardless if we deem them as rediculous.

A

anonymous6

Don't worry they will figure it out when someone runs out of gas one day. We have cars in our building that when they down to 1/4 of a tank they have fuel pick-up problems.

Some routes might need to be filled up daily and some not but I agree that it pretty stupid to have set dates you can fill your car up on espically in the winter. More fuel more weight.

no. they'll put 5 gallon gas cans in the back of every car.

tarbar66

200 miles a day and I make it back on fumes daily. My saving grace on days where all my extended stops get something is I pull the TP60 for the satalitites so when needed I just use one of thier fuel cards. With that said though I have ran out of fuel on three occasions. Like said previously you just sit and wait, the sad thing is you always ALMOST make it. So you sit for an hour being only a few miles away. Also we are lucky enough to have "Car-Washers" so that we just park and it magically gets done for us over night. However unfortunately this is a company that we WORK for, and basically they make the rules regardless if we deem them as rediculous.

The ALMOST make it reminded me of the time I used 2 bottles of dry gas to make it to a plaza just off the interstate. Back then we were still using leaded gas and the mechanics would stash the dry gas in the compartment under the dash of the P400's, especially in January when it would not get above 10 degrees for a week at a time.

I don't miss those days!