Full time career folks

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Collinsdad, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Collinsdad

Collinsdad New Member

Hey guys,
    I was just wondering how many folks here have a full time career and work at UPS part time? I own a business and make enough to support my family but i pay around 35,000 a year in insurance premiums/deductables (my wife has a chronic, but not serious, condition).. This is crazy. I am thinking about doing UPS part time as PH just for the union benefits. Does anyone do this?

I realize its hard work but I like to exercise so I thought it might be a good fit. Any thoughts would be helpful. Im new here so dont smash me too much please. Thanks!

2. trickpony1

trickpony1 Well-Known Member

Many work PT just for the benefits. Try to get a shift that meets your needs/schedule.
    If you do get a PT job I sure wouldn't run around telling everyone that you own a business.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. Collinsdad

Collinsdad New Member

Thanks for the reply. Not that I would do that anyway, but why do you suggest not telling people about my day job?

4. trickpony1

It's none of their business.
    Some PT'ers have day jobs and management expects them to put their life on "hold" because they are needed at UPS longer than expected.

5. trickpony1

You'll get more/better answers tonight when everyone gets home.

6. Collinsdad

Collinsdad New Member

Gotcha.
    Thats one of my concerns. I talked to someone here locally and they told me the hours given were a "range" ..

7. 542thruNthru

542thruNthru Well-Known Member

Only problem you may run into is working more hours then you want. UPS will tell you a certain block of time but its rarely that. Also Nov-Jan expect to work around 8 hours.

You have to deal with a lot at UPS. No one cares about you and they won't even try and hide it.

8. Collinsdad

Collinsdad New Member

Do you at least get overtime for some of those 8 hours as a part timer?

9. Staydryitsraining

Staydryitsraining Active Member

You get over time after 5 hours. You get insurance as long as you work one shift per week in other places you dont even need that. 13 an hour 9 months for insurance unlimited dependents. Best advice for a part timer is dont talk to anyone about your life.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

OT after 5 hours. Not everyone works 8 to 9 hours a day during Peak. I work the twilight sort and even during Peak it is more like 5 to 6 hours unless you volunteer to double shift. The rest of the year you are lucky to get your 3 1/2. Lots of older guys with families work PT for the benefits. As you gain seniority you can pick where you want to work or if you want to leave early or stay late.

11. 542thruNthru

542thruNthru Well-Known Member

This would depend where you are. Some areas is OT after 5 hours and some its OT after 8.

12. Collinsdad

Collinsdad New Member

So I guess I wont be making many friends at UPS? haha.

Its 9 months to insurance? Thought it was a year?

13. Collinsdad

Collinsdad New Member

Thanks for the info

14. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

Changed with the new contract. August 1st starting wage will be $14/hr. Don't know why these guys are saying not to talk to anyone. I talk to everyone.​

15. UnconTROLLed

UnconTROLLed perfection

You won't get a correct answer here. Locally, it is roughly 4 months and you have benes. Each region is different so your best bet is to apply and interview and ask these Q's

I also suggest not talking up your career. Both the union and management do not like people who are not beholden to them and will find ways to single you out.

16. Collinsdad

Collinsdad New Member

Thank you for the reply..

17. Staydryitsraining

Staydryitsraining Active Member

Where Boston New York area?

18. eats packages

eats packages Why won't the door close?

The only life talk we have is in the parking lot between packets of smokes and zero managers nearby.

Looks like this thread is wrapped up, bennies after 9 months (maybe less) and hours varying up to 2 hours before/after the listed time are the two things to watch out for. especially peak mid-november to january. I regularly get 5.25 hours but it varies entirely between shifts and buildings without any pattern.

19. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

The less people know about you the better . You'll learn.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  20. rod

rod retired and happy

But then they will be drunk so don't expect GREAT answers.