Full time career folks

Collinsdad

Hey guys,
I was just wondering how many folks here have a full time career and work at UPS part time? I own a business and make enough to support my family but i pay around 35,000 a year in insurance premiums/deductables (my wife has a chronic, but not serious, condition).. This is crazy. I am thinking about doing UPS part time as PH just for the union benefits. Does anyone do this?

I realize its hard work but I like to exercise so I thought it might be a good fit. Any thoughts would be helpful. Im new here so dont smash me too much please. Thanks!

trickpony1

Many work PT just for the benefits. Try to get a shift that meets your needs/schedule.
If you do get a PT job I sure wouldn't run around telling everyone that you own a business.

Collinsdad

Many work PT just for the benefits. Try to get a shift that meets your needs/schedule.
If you do get a PT job I sure wouldn't run around telling everyone that you own a business.

Thanks for the reply. Not that I would do that anyway, but why do you suggest not telling people about my day job?

542thruNthru

Hey guys,
I was just wondering how many folks here have a full time career and work at UPS part time? I own a business and make enough to support my family but i pay around 35,000 a year in insurance premiums/deductables (my wife has a chronic, but not serious, condition).. This is crazy. I am thinking about doing UPS part time as PH just for the union benefits. Does anyone do this?

I realize its hard work but I like to exercise so I thought it might be a good fit. Any thoughts would be helpful. Im new here so dont smash me too much please. Thanks!

Only problem you may run into is working more hours then you want. UPS will tell you a certain block of time but its rarely that. Also Nov-Jan expect to work around 8 hours.

You have to deal with a lot at UPS. No one cares about you and they won't even try and hide it.

Collinsdad

Only problem you may run into is working more hours then you want. UPS will tell you a certain block of time but its rarely that. Also Nov-Jan expect to work around 8 hours.

You have to deal with a lot at UPS. No one cares about you and they won't even try and hide it.

Do you at least get overtime for some of those 8 hours as a part timer?

Staydryitsraining

You get over time after 5 hours. You get insurance as long as you work one shift per week in other places you dont even need that. 13 an hour 9 months for insurance unlimited dependents. Best advice for a part timer is dont talk to anyone about your life.

OT after 5 hours. Not everyone works 8 to 9 hours a day during Peak. I work the twilight sort and even during Peak it is more like 5 to 6 hours unless you volunteer to double shift. The rest of the year you are lucky to get your 3 1/2. Lots of older guys with families work PT for the benefits. As you gain seniority you can pick where you want to work or if you want to leave early or stay late.

Collinsdad

You get over time after 5 hours. You get insurance as long as you work one shift per week in other places you dont even need that. 13 an hour 9 months for insurance unlimited dependents. Best advice for a part timer is dont talk to anyone about your life.

So I guess I wont be making many friends at UPS? haha.

Its 9 months to insurance? Thought it was a year?

Collinsdad

OT after 5 hours. Not everyone works 8 to 9 hours a day during Peak. I work the twilight sort and even during Peak it is more like 5 to 6 hours unless you volunteer to double shift. The rest of the year you are lucky to get your 3 1/2. Lots of older guys with families work PT for the benefits. As you gain seniority you can pick where you want to work or if you want to leave early or stay late.

Thanks for the info

UnconTROLLed

perfection
So I guess I wont be making many friends at UPS? haha.

Its 9 months to insurance? Thought it was a year?
You won't get a correct answer here. Locally, it is roughly 4 months and you have benes. Each region is different so your best bet is to apply and interview and ask these Q's

I also suggest not talking up your career. Both the union and management do not like people who are not beholden to them and will find ways to single you out.

Collinsdad

You won't get a correct answer here. Locally, it is roughly 4 months and you have benes. Each region is different so your best bet is to apply and interview and ask these Q's

I also suggest not talking up your career. Both the union and management do not like people who are not beholden to them and will find ways to single you out.

Thank you for the reply..

Staydryitsraining

Where Boston New York area?

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
The only life talk we have is in the parking lot between packets of smokes and zero managers nearby.

Looks like this thread is wrapped up, bennies after 9 months (maybe less) and hours varying up to 2 hours before/after the listed time are the two things to watch out for. especially peak mid-november to january. I regularly get 5.25 hours but it varies entirely between shifts and buildings without any pattern.