Full time driver position

PT Car Washer

Just heard in morning last week that a new government contract we got requires hiring vets. Good luck
Just getting hired does not guarantee you a FT driving job. This is not the post office. You will have 30 days to qualify or be offered a PT job and another chance to qualify in the future. Best of luck.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Your chances are slim, but you never know. Even when you get hired it may be slim pickings for a while. We hired a seasonal as a permanent driver back in January, but I honestly think he's worked 1 day since the beginning of January. Sometimes he works preload, but otherwise he never works.

One thing you will quickly learn, if you stick around here, is that there are no standards at this company. There are so many variables and differences between buildings, districts, division that it's mind blowing. Best of luck.

box_beeyotch

Your chances are slim, but you never know. Even when you get hired it may be slim pickings for a while. We hired a seasonal as a permanent driver back in January, but I honestly think he's worked 1 day since the beginning of January. Sometimes he works preload, but otherwise he never works.

One thing you will quickly learn, if you stick around here, is that there are no standards at this company. There are so many variables and differences between buildings, districts, division that it's mind blowing. Best of luck.

He would work more if he stepped up and took routes out blind. All you have to do is ask, someone is always willing to go home.

PT Car Washer

He would work more if he stepped up and took routes out blind. All you have to do is ask, someone is always willing to go home.
Must still be approved by management for a day off without pay. What manager would allow a newbe out on a route blind if they already have the bid driver present. The manger is just setting himself up for failure.

box_beeyotch

Must still be approved by management for a day off without pay. What manager would allow a newbe out on a route blind if they already have the bid driver present. The manger is just setting himself up for failure.

How else is he supposed to learn? They sure as hell aren't going to teach you. 95 percent of the routes I know I learned in the blind.

PT Car Washer

How else is he supposed to learn? They sure as hell aren't going to teach you. 95 percent of the routes I know I learned in the blind.
Been there, done that, and it is a terrible way to train a new driver on a new route. The only reason it happens is the supervisor/trainer does not have a clue how to run it.

box_beeyotch

Been there, done that, and it is a terrible way to train a new driver on a new route. The only reason it happens is the supervisor/trainer does not have a clue how to run it.

Yeah that and/or they don't want to waste their day training. Sometimes it's your only option if you want to work.

Rainman

Its all good.
Or the supervisor sees an easy out, that he can get extra coverage without having to train. It all depends on how good this new guy is, whether or not they trust him to be able to do the route.

PT Car Washer

Or the supervisor sees an easy out, that he can get extra coverage without having to train. It all depends on how good this new guy is, whether or not they trust him to be able to do the route.
Been thrown into that situation so many times that no day is a difficult day anymore. They are all easy.

box_beeyotch

Been thrown into that situation so many times that no day is a difficult day anymore. They are all easy.

It is what it is. If that's what I have to do to work, then that's what I'll do. Some of these other guys are perfectly content working two days a week. I'm not, so I stepped up and I learned and I see absolutely nothing wrong with it nor am I complaining. Sure you will run into hiccups, run over, and make calls to the bid driver to ask questions....but you don't need to be babied, let alone by a supervisor who has less of a clue than you do. Get out there and do it, point blank period. JMO.

Re-Raise

It is what it is. If that's what I have to do to work, then that's what I'll do. Some of these other guys are perfectly content working two days a week. I'm not, so I stepped up and I learned and I see absolutely nothing wrong with it nor am I complaining. Sure you will run into hiccups, run over, and make calls to the bid driver to ask questions....but you don't need to be babied, let alone by a supervisor who has less of a clue than you do. Get out there and do it, point blank period. JMO.
When I first started my driver supervisor said "I don't see what good it would do for me to go with you and both of us be lost"

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
I went blind on 35 routes my first summer to avoid being laid off. Bid drivers were present each time as it was our CMs policy that you had to show your whites (as in the whites of your eyes) to get a day off once you'd exhausted your option days.

box_beeyotch

I went blind on 35 routes my first summer to avoid being laid off. Bid drivers were present each time as it was our CMs policy that you had to show your whites (as in the whites of your eyes) to get a day off once you'd exhausted your option days.

In the last year which is my only year of driving, I learned about 7 routes blind. Actually just ran one blind today. I've had two layoff days since I became full time and one of them was by choice essentially. If you're willing to work, the work is there.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Chances are it won't. At my center there's a line for driving among part time permanents and management typically likes to use the 1 in every 6 hires outside slot to give a PT supervisor a shot at training for FT sup or FT driver.
In our building, they are definitely hiring FT drivers and also the usual TCDs for upcoming peak. (which isn't that far away!)