Full Time Drivers as Helpers

PackageDonkey

Box Delivery Man
Any centers out there using full time drivers as driver helpers as an alternative to layoff? We have a small center who usually runs 18 routes a day. Lately we've been cutting 2 or 3 routes, and using drivers as helpers. Drivers get paid full wage to do this. I got 7.5 hours in today being a helper. Just wondering if this is happening in any other centers.

OMS Queen

Yes, we are at our center. We usually run 39-41 cars, but right now we are running 35-36 with 3 helpers that are full-time bid route drivers! Their bid routes aren't running, so they get to be helpers.

My Business Manager told us that we aren't even calling it "Peak" this year. I chuckled and said "Yeah, it's called 'December'"

Even with the helper teams, we have about ten guys on lay off. They are now coming in and working preload and local sort as they can.

Pretty scary.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
What's all this talk about peak and volume this year, and etc...news flash.. it's not December yet and volume in my recent memory rarely picks up prior to Thanksgiving, and in earnest around December 1-7th. Sure it may, start to finish end up a less-than-normal volume peak in relation to the past 10 years, but it's still going to be the same ridiculous overworking and daily hassles as every other year. Anyone saying otherwise is simply speculating, uninformed, and likely exaggerating either way.

mikestrek

Any centers out there using full time drivers as driver helpers as an alternative to layoff? We have a small center who usually runs 18 routes a day. Lately we've been cutting 2 or 3 routes, and using drivers as helpers. Drivers get paid full wage to do this. I got 7.5 hours in today being a helper. Just wondering if this is happening in any other centers.
We're going to use a hand full of helpers but as far as using full time drivers for helpers. I believe so. We have several extra drivers right now and I'm sure several of them will be brought on car before the christmas helpers jump on.

The economy is just bad. Are volume is down and Fed Ex volume is down. We're all just going to have to ride out this sour economy. :happy-very:

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
it's happening over here in spokane. but mostly in 2 of the 3 centers. The Valley center was slammed before this happened, so they are using peak hires. But the North and South centers are using 3 or 4 drivers as helpers and still using peak hires as well.

upsdude

With all these layoffs shouldn’t we see some layoffs of management folks? UPSers.com stated we had 900 drivers on layoff in the Southeast Region. Our center alone has 1 manager and 3 FT sups for 65 drivers, average of 52 routes a day. Using those numbers we should see a reduction in management.

BTW, 2 drivers in a near by center were recently promoted to FT delivery sups.

Oh well, we all know UPS has a different "math" system!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you are getting 7.5 hours as a helper it would seem to me that they could take work off of 2 pkg cars and create a run for you that would dispatch and lighten the dispatch for those drivers. Just a thought.

A few peaks I was a helper. I would deliver a junk car then park downtown and walk from driver to driver with a handtruck or two.

ramrod7373

Same thing is happening here in Nor Cal. We are down 3-4 routes and many of the low senority are double shifting. They are loading up a couple drivers and giving them helpers that are drivers. We have been working a lot of O.T. this year. Lots of 9.5 grievences filed. I guess it is cheaper to pay O.T. than to have another truck on road.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
What's all this talk about peak and volume this year, and etc...news flash.. it's not December yet and volume in my recent memory rarely picks up prior to Thanksgiving, and in earnest around December 1-7th. Sure it may, start to finish end up a less-than-normal volume peak in relation to the past 10 years, but it's still going to be the same ridiculous overworking and daily hassles as every other year. Anyone saying otherwise is simply speculating, uninformed, and likely exaggerating either way.

Here is some coffee for you. Wake up & smell it.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I guess it is cheaper to pay O.T. than to have another truck on road.
What is the cost of putting another package car on the road these days?

I was downtown today and saw a driver with a helper. The helper was a part time low seniority driver(reload, air shuttle, etc. type). The driver was happy to have the helper because he had been dispatched with 170-180 by himself. Their dispatch was 210 for the team. They both seemed happy and the driver figured he would be getting done 2 hours earlier!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Why? You saying we'll both have alot of free time on our hands? On that I agree.

I already have two better paying options if UPS lays me off, thankfully.

My original point is, wait until verification to claim your victories. My point before that was, it's way too early to say this year will be the "Christmas without peak" and all of that.

NedFlanders

Full time cover drivers in my center are currently being used as helpers.

Management is saying that they get paid the standard helper rate, around 10/hour.

Is this correct or should they be making their normal driving pay?

Overpaid Union Thug

Full time cover drivers in my center are currently being used as helpers.

Management is saying that they get paid the standard helper rate, around 10/hour.

Is this correct or should they be making their normal driving pay?

If a full-timer works then he/she is to be paid their full-time rate for the day. Not helper pay. In some supplements (such as the Southern) our pay rate would go down to whatever it would be in the hub as a part-timer with the same seniority date after seven consecutive days of layoff from driving. I would think that this would apply to laid off full-timers working as helpers too.