Full time hub employee considering going driving

Hello, I am a full time (Twilight/Night shift) hub employee in the SF Bay Area with 16 years of employment (7 as a full timer). I’m just about to reach age 40 and am starting to get burnt out on swing/graveyard shift work and am considering going to package to have a somewhat “normal” work schedule. I don’t currently have kids but my gf and I are starting to talk about marriage and our future and I don’t know if working graveyards would be the best way to start a family. I know and see drivers often return to the hub after 9pm but with the addition of the 22.4 drivers that may reduce the FT driver work schedule to allow drivers to finish at a reasonable time. My questions are 1- with only 14 more years til I can retire would you recommend FT driving for a long time hub guy. Is driving package a decision you’re glad you made or do many of you wish you stayed in the hub and went full time that route. Also, since I already have 7 years as a full time hub employee I have been told that once I pass my probationary period and specific routes become available I can bid with my FT seniority date and not as a new driver. Thank you for any help/recommendations

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Do they run day sorts in your building? You seem to have enough seniority to grab an inside day job.
Your current shift would allow you to see your kids a lot more then package.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Hello, I am a full time (Twilight/Night shift) hub employee in the SF Bay Area with 16 years of employment (7 as a full timer). I’m just about to reach age 40 and am starting to get burnt out on swing/graveyard shift work and am considering going to package to have a somewhat “normal” work schedule. I don’t currently have kids but my gf and I are starting to talk about marriage and our future and I don’t know if working graveyards would be the best way to start a family. I know and see drivers often return to the hub after 9pm but with the addition of the 22.4 drivers that may reduce the FT driver work schedule to allow drivers to finish at a reasonable time. My questions are 1- with only 14 more years til I can retire would you recommend FT driving for a long time hub guy. Is driving package a decision you’re glad you made or do many of you wish you stayed in the hub and went full time that route. Also, since I already have 7 years as a full time hub employee I have been told that once I pass my probationary period and specific routes become available I can bid with my FT seniority date and not as a new driver. Thank you for any help/recommendations
I would totally keep your current inside position. Just sleep after work 4-11 you get to be with your kid in the middle of the day 12-4 after school a lot better than 8AM to god knows how long in the afternoon where you only get to see your kids asleep in the morning or asleep at night.

Do they run day sorts in your building? You seem to have enough seniority to grab an inside day job.
Your current shift would allow you to see your kids a lot more then package.
Sadly they currently don’t offer a day sort. A Preload/Daysort would be perfect but it’s not an option. Also, I’m thinking if I start driving now, with my already 7 years seniority as a full timer, and my understanding that it would follow me into package I could potentially get my own route sooner rather than later. Plus Im wondering how the new 22.4’s might potentially shorten FT shifts