Full Time Mgmt Positions

It doesn't happen overnight. Mike Eskew didn't go from loading trucks to CEO overnight.

I understand the loss of patience, but in the long run if that's what he thinks he wants, I say wait it out. It may or may not happen in the next year. If he's gone through the Panel and passed it then it really is just a matter of time.

It all depends on where you are and how fast people move around in your Region/District.

In the meantime, even if he plans on staying with UPS, he should keep his resume updated and also it wouldn't hurt to be on Monster or Career Builder and just see what else is out there.

I have seen promotions happen overnight. Unfortunately it also has alot to do with who you know and not what you know. While I was at UPS I saw people who weren't even in the promotion pool getting considered for promotions to FT management. Miraculously, the candidate would discretely sail right through the promotion process (pre-MAPP days) with the help of the manager wanting to promote them, totally bypassing all other candidates in the pool.

Fnix

depends on the area of the country he is in economically. He may start off lower then that amount but can quickly get bumped up above that level if he does well. There are grades within the realm of supervisors. an operations sup starts in a higher pay grade.

If he starts at 4500 a month. He then grosses 54 a year on salary. Add MIP at 1.5 equals another 6750. Add the half month xmas check. Add the 3 percent match on the 401 K and he could earn about 65 his first full year.

He would be eligible for a merit increase six months after promotion. And then yearly pay increase in march of every year.

Keep in mind he is being compared to other candidates while in the pool so he needs to stay on his game and not get discouraged.:happy-very:

Tieguy, clear your PM box I wanna ask you something.

Average at Best

And honestly cannot afford to wait on UPS too much longer. Also on the pay difference, he says he will make in the 60's is this true? What are the salaries like when just promoted? Can they really jump that much?
Thanks again.

Yeah, he could potentially make that much, but you'll never see him again. And when you work out the salary on an hourly scale, it isn't much at all. The hours he'll put in are almost guaranteed to be ridiculous.

As far as waiting for a long time for that promotion, it is typical in our district. We have a huge pool of "ready-now" candidates, but many openings that come up are delayed in being filled or eliminated altogether for cost cutting reasons. Trust me - in our district, the IE manager, HR manager, and controller reconcile their staffing shortfalls every month and discuss which ones to wait on, and which ones aren't necessary at all. Sounds like your husband may be in a similar situation. Other reasons to consider - if he is a white male and the district is under quota for minorities and women, or if another candidate has better upper-management connections...

My advice is to update the resume and start floating it. It can't hurt to at least see what is out there, and many companies respect UPS employees because they know what a tough, demanding job it it....

Mike Hawk

Have your husband bring a suit to work once or twice a week and change before he leaves the building. Tell his sup he has another interview.

Good advice. Let them know you need a friend/T job somewhere, weather it be at UPS or another company.

pretzel_man

Thank you! That's what I keep telling him!!!! I say screw them, and move on. I feel he has given them plenty of time for a promotion. The brown cant be that great.

I fortunately have a good job but I have to commute to work 2.5 hours once a week to get there so I dont work as often. I could be making a lot more money if we could moved closer and not be waiting on UPS. We have been waiting on them so we can move hopefully closer to my job. It is holding me back as well from making more money. that's why with children and my commute and inability to make more money I am at my boiling point.

Mastula,

Please don't take this negatively, but you and you husband need to have a long conversation and decide what it is you and he really need and want.

If the main goal here is to attain a full time job so that you can have more money, you may need to rethink your situation.

He is applying for a full time management position. This is a great job, but only for the right person. He will be held accountable not only for his work but the performance of others. He will be responsible for fixing things that are hard to control and often may seem uncontrollable.

Unless he has a very strong ability to plan, communicate, and hold others accountable, it may seem overwhelming.

Remember, he is not applying for a full time job, but a full time MANAGEMENT position.

Again, please don't take this negativley, but look at your own words. When you say "screw them, and move on", you're talking about the same people he is asking to join.

I do not believe he is being "strung on". I believe that what is happening is that openings are not coming up as quickly as originally predicted.

I think you're in Pa? The region there collapsed. People became available and filled opened slots. In addition, volume is down. Volume = Jobs. I know that a freeze was put in on all replacements until volume (or attrition) catches up.

You should not let you family be impacted by waiting for UPS when a full time job in another company may be available. You also should not let your family be impacted by waiting for a UPS job that he (and you) will not like.

Again, it can be a great ride for the right person. I was a part time supervisor 30 years ago. I eventually went full time and have done and learned more than I would have ever dreamed.

There's a great reward, but also a great sacrifice. Please do it with the right attitude and with your eyes open.

Best of luck to you both,

P-Man

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Thank you! That's what I keep telling him!!!! I say screw them, and move on. I feel he has given them plenty of time for a promotion. The brown cant be that great.

I'm 6 weeks away from completing a Masters Degree. When UPS refused to promote me, I found the door. Waiting for this company to do something semi-intelligent is like waiting for the next Ice Age. Hubby has been plenty patient. He should find the door himself. He'll be much happier. I saw some people on the way into my old UPS hub the other day and I was all smiles while they were all scowling. Trust me....he can do better! He'll even start to feel HUMAN again. He might have forgotten what that feels like. I know I did....

It doesn't happen overnight. Mike Eskew didn't go from loading trucks to CEO overnight.

What you say is true with one exception, BrownSuit. Mr. Eskew didn't start out at the bottom. As I've read company histories, he started in I.E in Indiana (Evansville, maybe??). If he loaded a truck, it was an emergency situation. Please post facts, not smoke or revisionist history. Thanks.

You should not let you family be impacted by waiting for UPS when a full time job in another company may be available. You also should not let your family be impacted by waiting for a UPS job that he (and you) will not like.

Well said, Pretzel-Man. I speak from experience when I say there are some GREAT organizations out there. Just today, the manager in charge of the office I work in responded to my e-mail after I told her I'm just an intern. She wrote, 'In my book, there's no such thing as "just an intern."' There's a classy organization and a respectable manager. They're out there, folks. Unfortunately, its very rare to find one like the above manager at UPS. -Rocky

ol'browneye

I am a driver but let me tell you what happened to a good friend of mine. He was a pt sup for years. After being passed over many times he finally went to a ft supe position. He lived in a rural area about 30-35 minutes from the hub and he and his wife and 2 kids had just built a house. He worked ft in the hub (I forget at what position) for about 6 months when they made him an on-car sup and transferred him to a center 100 miles from home. UPS insisted he move but he refused and just commuted everyday since he had just built his house. After about 6 months he got fed up with the commute, the atmosphere, the mentality of mngmt, and all the bs that went with the job and found another job in the transportation industry with an ltl trucking company. He said the difference was night and day. Hardly any stress compared to UPS, not quite the same pay but he said it was worth it to not have to put up with UPS. He has since changed companies again and is now an account rep with a large trucking company and makes more than he did at UPS and is as happy as can be. He says getting out of UPS mngmnt was the best decision he ever made.

Your husband may believe in UPS but just like the drivers, he will be just another cog in the wheel and can be replaced when he has served his purpose and is used up. I know it is that way in any industry with any company, but why not be a little happier? UPS is not neccessarily the job to beat all jobs. Maybe your husband should use his experience and education to work somewhere else. Like others have mentioned, many companies love to get UPS employees because they know how to work and aren't afraid of work. You BOTH might end up happier and have a less stressful life and marriage.

I know my friend is happier now!!

Channahon

I fortunately have a good job but I have to commute to work 2.5 hours once a week to get there so I dont work as often. I could be making a lot more money if we could moved closer and not be waiting on UPS. We have been waiting on them so we can move hopefully closer to my job. It is holding me back as well from making more money. that's why with children and my commute and inability to make more money I am at my boiling point.

There are many households nowadays, where the wife is the bread winner for the family. If you are tired on waiting on UPS, then it may be in your families best interest to pursue your career.

If you are fed up with UPS now, it will not get any better if and when your husband gets promoted.

A successful management person needs to have support outside of UPS to manage the responsibilites, hours and demands of UPS.

Just my opinion after working in full time management for 27 years at UPS, with my husband taking care of the household needs, which allowed me to focus on my job, move up with the company and be financially secure with our retirement. Notice I said our retirement, as I could not have done it without his support.

Good luck

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the husband playing "Mr. Mom" just as long as you are both on the same page, you treat as each other as equals, and he has no resentment in assuming this role. I won't get in to the whole "Me man, me breadwinner" discussion as that viewpoint has no place in today's society. If it works for you, more power to you.

browniehound

I don't know anything about being a management person at UPS. I do know of many wives that can't tolerate the hours that their driver husband works. My boss is there when I come in and he is there when I leave at night, so he is putting many more hours every week than I do. So my guess is whatever your husband is working now will triple. Are you willing to support that?

My opinion is you should let your husband "follow his dream". I myself would support my wife if she was working 80 hours per week if it was something she loved or benefited her career. This is what I don't understand about divorce due to hours put in at work. The person doing this is doing it to better his wife and children's lives. Why this would cause a spouse to leave is what I can't grasp. Its not like this person is putting in an eight hour day and spending six at the bar every night. That is a good reason for divorce, not working hard for your family's benefit.

VoiceOfReason

Telling it like it is
I was in the full time pool for a year and a half at a big metro building, after I had completed driving and all the tests (thats another year tied up there). You know how I got my job? I lived in the vicinity (far away but not quite insanely far) of a job opening at an extended center and the other candidates did not.

After I got my job and joined the club it seems that all upper management wants for full-time sups is women and minorities. I get asked to submit my women and minority candidates often.

It hurts me now to think that I sat on the pine for so long and to find out the decision makers are all interested the women and minority candidates and I got the job on an exception because of where I live. I have come out number 1 in every FT management class/school that I have ever been to, I have proven since to be more than qualified. But no one cared how good I was as a PT'er. You are faceless as a PT sup to the people who have to power to start your career as a FT'er.

My advice? If your husband does not fit the demographic, be prepared to apply for food stamps. It does not matter what his qualifications are. It will be like Survivor, he will have to outlast and outwit all the mind games. Hopefully he catches a break and something falls out of the sky into his lap. But the deck is stacked against him.

j13501

But no one cared how good I was as a PT'er. You are faceless as a PT sup to the people who have to power to start your career as a FT'er.

I don't think you understand that many of us that make decisions on promotions, were part time supervisors ourselves, a long time ago. I've always believed that UPS was a smart company based on the part time supervisor job classification. Where else can you observe a young man or woman under actual, stressful operational conditions, to see how they handle difficult supervisory situations. Then you have the ability to promote those people that have excelled, making your management team stronger.

That being said, where you are in the country does matter. I've seen p/t supervisors in "slow growth" areas of the country wait six or seven years for a job, because no one in their center turned over. I've also seen us promote less experienced p/t supervisors in "high growth" centers because management turnover had made the full time supervisor job look "undesirable".

In the end, no matter where you are, if a husband and wife don't support each other, then you'll be unhappy. This can be a challenging job for both drivers and supervisors - it takes a supportive family to get through the long hours and stay positive, so the family benefits from all UPS has to offer.

UPS Lifer

Both of you need to get on the same page. You are getting some great advice from both sides but the most important thing is you & your husband and children's happiness. Forget about UPS for a minute....

You should tell your husband, what you think and you need to understand how and what he feels. Then you will need to give a little on both sides.

This is important for your marriage. If needed seek out some professional guidance and dialog.

I started UPS at 19 and I was married at 20 and we are still going strong 35 years later. I moved up the ranks at UPS, it was both Heaven & Hell and without my wife's support I could not have been successful. Her support was critical especially when times were tough.

By all standards ... we should have been divorced 30 years ago!

Based on your posts, my feeling is that if you do not get this settled your family will be in jeopardy at some point (if not already) and I am sure you do not want that, otherwise you would not have reached out on this forum.

BTW - What makes you think it will be "a little slice of Heaven" somewhere else? - Every company has it's own set of challenges. How does your husband feel about his job?

Just as an example - I have a friend that has an HR degree and has been laid off at 5 different companies over 35 years - the last being, Home Depot last week! He worked at Disneyland for 20 years - He ended up retiring from that job and complained about their corporate culture!

What is the most important thing - money or family. I am not judging you. I picked money years ago and lost sight of family!!! As long as you are both on the same page!!!

Rent "Family Man" with Tia Leone & Nicolas Cage. It will make my point and could very well go against UPS!!! I t may also open some dialog with you and your husband!

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Rent "Family Man" with Tia Leone & Nicolas Cage. It will make my point and could very well go against UPS!!!

LOL....I bought this movie some years ago. Talk about a 'what-if.' Funniest movie I'd seen in YEARS! :happy-very: And it will make your point very well BUT it will go against UPS. I'll have to see if I can find this movie in my DVD collection. I think I'm going to need this reminder myself...... -Rocky