Full time Payrate (13.70??) please help

lilbean93

Hi guys I had a question about my payrate. I recently just got a job at UPS Freight in Upstate NY. My rate was set to $13.70. I was wondering if you guys knew the current contract rate for a FT Dockworker. I tried to do my own research but couldn't figure it out. I've worked for other freight companies and it seemed kind of low to me. I just need some info so I don’t sound stupid going to talk to my Steward on Monday. Thanks

lilbean93

I read that. So am I Classified as a full-time Local Cartage Employee? I am a Dockworker non cdl. I just don't understand why my rate would be $13.70.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I read that. So am I Classified as a full-time Local Cartage Employee? I am a Dockworker non cdl. I just don't understand why my rate would be $13.70.

Does it not have the pay rates in it? Did they not tell you what the starting rate was when they offered you the job? Did you not ask before accepting? I'm not a freight employee so I don't know how things work on that side. Your steward will have better info and probably won't give you too hard of a time for sounding stupid. But I'll try to look over your contract later tonight and see what I come up with.

lilbean93

They did say my starting pay and they said that's what was offered. It sounded fishy. I'm relatively young so I wouldn't be surprised if they would try something. But I was yet to see or know what this contract looked like. But the contract you showed me online I have read and what Im understanding is I should be starting at 17.20? Ill be working 40hrs on the dock.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
They did say my starting pay and they said that's what was offered. It sounded fishy. I'm relatively young so I wouldn't be surprised if they would try something. But I was yet to see or know what this contract looked like. But the contract you showed me online I have read and what Im understanding is I should be starting at 17.20? Ill be working 40hrs on the dock.

It looks like they may be considering you a casual employee? Their start rate is 13 dollars, and I don't see any rate for any job that pays $13.70. Though in Article 26 section 6 it says the rates are the minimum, and they may be adding on a Market Rate Progression Adjustment.

I'm not seeing any articles strictly pertaining to classifications, but this is in Article 5 section 1-friend-8:

"When a casual dockworker or combination of casual dockworkers works the same shift for eight (8) continuous hours forty-five (45) days in ninety (90) consecutive calendar days, other than as a temporary replacement for an employee on vacation or leave of absence, the Company shall create a full-time position that it may classify, at its discretion, as a full-time dock with CDL or full-time dock only; pay will be in accordance with Article 26."

That's about all I can come up with. You appear to be a casual employee, meaning they can lay you off for extended periods of time. You can apply for any regular full time jobs that open up, but they are awarded to the highest seniority casual employees. If you don't think you are supposed to be a casual employee, bring that up with your steward.

lilbean93

Thank u. I’m definitely not supposed to be casual. I’m coming in as a full time employee. I feel like when they use the word casual it means a part timer? or seasonal like you said. Another guy in training was pt dock and he’s starting 13.00. So 13.70 is just so odd to me

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Thank u. I’m definitely not supposed to be casual. I’m coming in as a full time employee. I feel like when they use the word casual it means a part timer? or seasonal like you said. Another guy in training was pt dock and he’s starting 13.00. So 13.70 is just so odd to me

Like I said, I didn't see anything in the contract that defined the difference between casual and regular. It seems like you can be full time and casual, but it's hard to say.

sppollock

Start $17.20 Seniority
$17.55 Twelve (12) months
$19.50 Twenty-four (24) months
$22.00 Thirty-six (36) months
$24.50 Forty-eight (48) months
Top Progression Rate $28.05
When an employee completes the above progression he/she shall be eligible thereafter to begin receiving the general wage increases set forth in paragraph (a) above. Employees bidding into a new full-time non-CDL position after August 1, 2013, shall be paid eighty percent (80%) of the progression rates in (c) above. Once the progression is completed the employee shall receive eighty percent (80%) of the Top Rate, and in addition, the employee shall continue to receive eighty percent (80%) of each general wage increase received as set forth above in Section (a) above.

unfortunately the part everyone keeps forgetting to mention to new hires is the 80% rule. (a) in the above paragraph which states that if you bid on a non-CDL position you will be paid 80% of the pay rate as above. You will always receive 80% of the pay rate as well as 80% of all increases every January and August. Management never tells new hires about this.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Start $17.20 Seniority
When an employee completes the above progression he/she shall be eligible thereafter to begin receiving the general wage increases set forth in paragraph (a) above. Employees bidding into a new full-time non-CDL position after August 1, 2013, shall be paid eighty percent (80%) of the progression rates in (c) above. Once the progression is completed the employee shall receive eighty percent (80%) of the Top Rate, and in addition, the employee shall continue to receive eighty percent (80%) of each general wage increase received as set forth above in Section (a) above.

unfortunately the part everyone keeps forgetting to mention to new hires is the 80% rule. (a) in the above paragraph which states that if you bid on a non-CDL position you will be paid 80% of the pay rate as above. You will always receive 80% of the pay rate as well as 80% of all increases every January and August. Management never tells new hires about this.
AACF64CE-FBD9-4AE5-809C-67C15E220E0D.gif

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Start $17.20 Seniority

There you go. Seems like that's the answer. $17.20 x .8 = $13.76.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

Did you get things sorted out?