Funeral leave

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
How many days do we get off if a close family member such as a grandparent passes away? is it 2 after passing and 2 after funeral?
From NMA

Article 29
Members of the employee’s family means spouse, child, or step- child, grandchild, father, mother, brother, sister, grandparents, mother-in-law and father-in-law and step-parents.
A regular full-time employee shall be guaranteed two (2) days off to be taken between the day of death and two (2) working days following the funeral provided the employee attends the funeral or other bereavement rite. In cases involving the funeral of a rela- tive listed in paragraph 2 above, an employee who attends the fu- neral or bereavement rite is guaranteed a minimum of two (2) days off.

the way I read this is you can get four days off for Funeral of above mentioned relatives. It’s a little contradictory as it goes on to say:
-
Time off shall not extend beyond the day of the funeral unless an additional day is required for travel, except as provided above. In no event will total compensated time off exceed four (4) scheduled work days.

I read it in the first paragraph that you can get two days off between death and funeral and two days after funeral, funeral obviously included. Then the next paragraph says not to extend beyond day of funeral unless travel is required. Clear as mud right?

Here we just generally notify management what days we won’t be at work and get up to four paid days. It rarely happens that this type of event will require four days off anyway.

542thruNthru

I just took a full week for my granny's funeral. 4 paid 8s and was coded unpaid funeral leave for the 5th day. I only had to send the obituary.
It always trips me out when people say they had to send the obituary. I would probably be pissed if my manager asked me for proof of death.

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
It always trips me out when people say they had to send the obituary. I would probably be pissed if my manager asked me for proof of death.
They never asked me for an obituary but I only used funeral leave twice in 32 years. We did, however, have a guy that probably should have been fired a million times for a million different things end up getting fired for claiming the same persons death numerous times. Idiot...

Whither

Scofflaw
Last year our former center manager accused a senior driver of lying about his brother's death and issued a term letter on grounds of 'dishonesty' while he was out. Driver sent a photo of the funeral announcement showing that he was a pallbearer to our stew, and the stew showed it to the center manager. Very curtly adding, "YOU owe this man PROFUSE APOLOGIES." He immediately retracted the term letter and did apologize in person, even to the stew as well. "I don't know what I was thinking."

Strange this is, this center manager could be a halfway decent human being -- but he was still a center manager. I tell this story to rookies and occasionally to drivers who seem confused about our relationship with company mgmt.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
The Juan Epstein syndrome.

Unfortunately our union brothers and sisters aren't always the most honest.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

It's not that uncommon.

They never asked me for an obituary but I only used funeral leave twice in 32 years. We did, however, have a guy that probably should have been fired a million times for a million different things end up getting fired for claiming the same persons death numerous times. Idiot...

That's why.

Everything is online now.

Call, text, or email, a copy to (both) your center and Local Union. During difficult times, it's the easiest way to go.

scooter4me

I had only been working for a year or 2 when my Grandfather died. Told the sup and he asked what funeral home? I told him and thought, "Wow, are they really checking up one my story?" Got to the funeral and they had sent flowers!

542thruNthru

The way you idiots call off for every excuse in the book now days I can understand why they do that.
tumblr_98fd13d40aa9c926a66117ea4c360b54_684e78c7_250.gif