Future of UPS

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Let me slow it down for you, I wanted to buy a very expensive and delicate anenome for my tank. Local shops did not carry it. My plan was to have it shipped ups and pick it up at the center as I am about 20 mins away.A couple of hrs is a huge deal. I was amazed at the number of stores that use FedEx only. Around 70%. I did not make the purchase because I couldn't find the animal for a competitive price with ups shipping. Why would I get on here and lie about something stupid like that? FedEx and USPS are cheaper than us, we are not superstars, nobody cares about image or even service anymore. Its all about cheapest available. Its a real problem that will affect our future

Yeah, maybe. But I'm an Amazon Prime member. We order a lot of stuff. What I see is the heavier stuff comes by UPS, the medium weight stuff goes by Fed-Ex puke green, and the lighter stuff comes priority mail. All of the services are about the same. The mailman is the nicest guy of all of them. He is the one the whole neighborhood knows. The UPS guy/gal could be anyone of six or seven people. The Fed-Ex puke green guys always look like they just made parole.

And strangest of all, I have never seen an Fed-Ex air truck in front of my house. Are they still in business?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think UPS should stop giving all that volume to the Post Office.

My view is that is money we're giving away. That doesn't help our future any.

Sure Post is our response to Smart Post. If we didn't offer Sure Post much of that volume would go to Smart Post. Online shoppers like to have a "free shipping" option and unfortunately the Post Office is the carrier best positioned to handle that volume.

The new contract does help us retain more of that volume but I do agree that it is not nearly enough,

UPS4Life

Yeah, maybe. But I'm an Amazon Prime member. We order a lot of stuff. What I see is the heavier stuff comes by UPS, the medium weight stuff goes by Fed-Ex puke green, and the lighter stuff comes priority mail. All of the services are about the same. The mailman is the nicest guy of all of them. He is the one the whole neighborhood knows. The UPS guy/gal could be anyone of six or seven people. The Fed-Ex puke green guys always look like they just made parole.

And strangest of all, I have never seen an Fed-Ex air truck in front of my house. Are they still in business?
In feeders when I go to Amazon and check my trailer there's all sizes small medium large generally 100% top to bottom, and I'm not the only one there. Generally there are 10 of us pulling trailers out at a time.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Salesguy

Sales Member
What is some of your opinions on the future of our company? I just don't see future drivers making the pay/benefits in the future. I hope I'm wrong but I think there will be drastic changes made

I take that one for 100 points Jim
Ok, ehm the word future.....
Ok what does a saleslead create?

Foamer Pyle

I have been saying since I first heard of ORION and did my homework, that soon any driver over a median age of say mid 40ish and above will be in murky water once entire system is in working order.

If you dont think at the next contract that Atlanta wont have large analysis of data showing the "huge" amounts of miles(gas) saved by this "ingenious" system, whereas (as we are all well aware) the evil teamster thieving drivers hours will prove to not bare out the simplicity of this wonderment.

Why if given the tools to make all routes shorter and or more condensed, easier to follow, thus any idiot can do it. why is it taking the peons more time to do it.

They will come prepared to show millions in "lost" wages

Next contract: two tier pay scale

UPS's biggest concern: future "lazy privledged" emplyees not willing to do this job, thus dumb it down, pay less, less production
That Orion system has major flaws, and does not safe the company any money in most cases. It's very simple, if the packages cannot be loaded in the same order as the edd, then the driver has to dumpster dive for packages, which results in a longer time to do the job. Overtime costs more than fuel, and I have worked for ups for 26 years. This company has never taken advice from its employees, and that's why most of their ideas are failures. The union will never go for a two tier pay system. The stupidest thing this company did was follow Fed ex this year with full dimensional weight pricing. We were profitable before dim weight, and had the opportunity to not follow in their steps. We could have undercut Fed Ex on prices, big time, without raising rates. I am convinced corporate is run by a bunch of mongoloids.

theslinger

The replys in this thread remind me of my religious upbringing. Fire-and-brimstone! Doom-and-gloom!! The world, er, UPS could end tomorrow!!!
Ima slap a bumper sticker on my PC that says "In case of rapture, there will be no driver! Watch out!"

Returntosender

The replys in this thread remind me of my religious upbringing. Fire-and-brimstone! Doom-and-gloom!! The world, er, UPS could end tomorrow!!!
Ima slap a bumper sticker on my PC that says "In case of rapture, there will be no driver! Watch out!"
Two former supervisors, are cult like Jesus followers. One night at PCM, one of them was late. The other was not aware of this. So present sup goes anyone seen Elliot? No once answers, he asks again, no one answer, he talks loudly if any of you know where Elliot is tell me now. Another employee yells out maybe the rapture took him, and didn't come for you cause you not worthy. The look on his face was hilarious.

Browndriver5

Why don't you get seniority before you start declaring whether or not someone is qualified to keep their job. There's a quantum leap of inside knowledge of what goes on inside this company between being a cover driver and having 10-15+ years behind the wheel.

I didn't specify whether it be drivers or pre loaders. I said general employee. Don't assume

Browndriver5

The best thing you can do is be prepared in the event of such events happening. Have a back up plan. There's no use in worrying too much over it now. To me this has always been a job you have to take one day at a time, because you really can never tell exactly what is going to happen next.

I have a back up plan. I just enjoy driving for ups more than I like being a freight broker