Future of UPS

dupa

On-Road Integrated Optimization and Navigation.
I have been saying since I first heard of ORION and did my homework, that soon any driver over a median age of say mid 40ish and above will be in murky water once entire system is in working order.

If you dont think at the next contract that Atlanta wont have large analysis of data showing the "huge" amounts of miles(gas) saved by this "ingenious" system, whereas (as we are all well aware) the evil teamster thieving drivers hours will prove to not bare out the simplicity of this wonderment.

Why if given the tools to make all routes shorter and or more condensed, easier to follow, thus any idiot can do it. why is it taking the peons more time to do it.

They will come prepared to show millions in "lost" wages

Next contract: two tier pay scale

UPS's biggest concern: future "lazy privledged" emplyees not willing to do this job, thus dumb it down, pay less, less production

I have been saying since I first heard of ORION and did my homework, that soon any driver over a median age of say mid 40ish and above will be in murky water once entire system is in working order.

If you dont think at the next contract that Atlanta wont have large analysis of data showing the "huge" amounts of miles(gas) saved by this "ingenious" system, whereas (as we are all well aware) the evil teamster thieving drivers hours will prove to not bare out the simplicity of this wonderment.

Why if given the tools to make all routes shorter and or more condensed, easier to follow, thus any idiot can do it. why is it taking the peons more time to do it.

They will come prepared to show millions in "lost" wages

Next contract: two tier pay scale

UPS's biggest concern: future "lazy privledged" emplyees not willing to do this job, thus dumb it down, pay less, less production
Good post!

UPS4Life

$550-800 per week with no benefits over here. Resumes fly in any time a job is posted.

UPS could pay $15 an hour with benefits and have no problem with staffing.
Maybe $15 an hour for the hub but if you're talking about driving feeders or package car I think you're out of your mind.

Sent using BrownCafe App

S

selfcancelsignal

The fed ex ground driver tells me every day that I am nuts for doing that much work every day. He would never do my route even for $50 an hour. He would go crazy. That's what he tells me every day.
I've heard similar from the one I roll beside each day. He gloats about getting in early & getting off early. He must also like making jack squat & running his nutz off all day so he can get off everyday within his salary window. Me? Smooth & steady with overtime some days, but with the correct dispatch, actually working less than him most likely.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Wow. They must ship as much as amazon.
Let me slow it down for you, I wanted to buy a very expensive and delicate anenome for my tank. Local shops did not carry it. My plan was to have it shipped ups and pick it up at the center as I am about 20 mins away.A couple of hrs is a huge deal. I was amazed at the number of stores that use FedEx only. Around 70%. I did not make the purchase because I couldn't find the animal for a competitive price with ups shipping. Why would I get on here and lie about something stupid like that? FedEx and USPS are cheaper than us, we are not superstars, nobody cares about image or even service anymore. Its all about cheapest available. Its a real problem that will affect our future

P

pickup

One of the main differences between you and I is .

Memoir, Perfectly Punctuated In 'Between You & Me'
APRIL 08, 2015 7:03 AM ET
HELLER MCALPIN

Between You & Me
Confessions of a Comma Queen

by Mary Norris

Hardcover, 228 pagespurchase

More on this book:

Mary Norris has spent the past 20 years working as "a page OK'er" at The New Yorker,a position she says is unique to the magazine. Essentially, she's a highly specialized proofreader and copy editor on the publication's elaborate author-to-print assembly line. Alternate job descriptions include "prose goddess" and "comma queen."

Between You & Me, Norris' first book, is part memoir, part guide to the mind-bending nuances of English grammar, and part homage to The New Yorker's legendary writers and copy editors. It brims with wit, personality — and commas. Norris is a stickler who can't resist schtick. She pounces gleefully on typos everywhere, but her book is cheerier and less scolding than the "Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation" promulgated by Lynn Truss inEats, Shoots & Leaves.

Norris, like Truss, addresses the proper use of commas, apostrophes, hyphens and dashes, but she has headlined the grammatical issue she cares about most: "My fondest hope is that just from looking at the title you will learn to say fearlessly 'between you and me' (not 'I') whether or not you actually buy the book and penetrate to the innards of the objective case," she writes.

Saying "between you and I" is an error that comes from trying to sound refined and from "putting another person first." Norris explains that if people weren't "so friend——— polite, if they occasionally put themselves first, they would know they had it wrong. No one would begin a confidence with 'Between I and you.'"

Browndriver5

Uh what guy?

Did the video not load? It is a wall street guy who still favors us over Fed ex even with our last two holiday disasters. He said even with those two years we have still grown at 6percent every year, and when we fix our pricing problem that UPS is working on..We will steadily move up

coolslice

The future of UPS is simple to me. Create a contract where drivers will work under much smaller wages, which will allow UPS to put more drivers on the road. The current crop of drivers will be phased out over the next few years as the company realizes it is cheaper to work 2 drivers at $15/hr for 6-8 hours than it is to work one for 11 @ $35 If UPS were smart, the next contract would open up lower wage jobs (with lower expectations and demands) while also providing incentive for current drivers to retire at 20-25 years rather than 35 years. UPS has squeezed about as much out of their current system as they can get. All the money in the world isn't going to make every driver handle an ever increasing workload that is bordering on impossible already.

UPS4Life

The future of UPS is simple to me. Create a contract where drivers will work under much smaller wages, which will allow UPS to put more drivers on the road. The current crop of drivers will be phased out over the next few years as the company realizes it is cheaper to work 2 drivers at $15/hr for 6-8 hours than it is to work one for 11 @ $35 If UPS were smart, the next contract would open up lower wage jobs (with lower expectations and demands) while also providing incentive for current drivers to retire at 20-25 years rather than 35 years. UPS has squeezed about as much out of their current system as they can get. All the money in the world isn't going to make every driver handle an ever increasing workload that is bordering on impossible already.
I'm going to have to disagree with its cheaper to work two than one. Yes on an hourly figure but after you add in insurance and pension with any other benefits plus the wear and tare on two vehicles now twice as much fuel I just don't see it.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Foamer Pyle

the union will continue to lose power until it doesn't matter anymore. ( 2-3 more contracts )

robotics running the hubs will cut down workforce there probably 75% or more.

feeder ops will be discontinued. subcontractors will take over.

package will last the longest but UPS will open mini hubs on every street corner and employ pizza delivery drivers to deliver neighborhoods.

the only semi winner will be shareholders and their dividends.

time frame 10-20 years.

ref. trends research institute of California ( my office )
Glad to hear it, as I only have 4 to go to get my 30 in.

Foamer Pyle

A person would have to work two jobs at $15 an hour. You can't rent a dump here for under $700 a month. There aren't many companies willing to pay a fair wage anymore. It's a sad state of affairs that this country has let itself get into.

Browndriver5

UPS is a sinking ship. Right now their is a to tiny hole in it and corporate thinks ORION is a plug but in reality it's a torpedo.

We are not a sinking ship. You can not say a company who brings in 58 billion dollars a year is a sinking ship. We are still a very profitable company, we still hammer fed ex making almost 12 billion dollars more a year than they do...think about that for a minute. We are still growing just not at the pace of the 80's. Every company hits their peak, we will still be the leading shipping company 20 years from now its just changes will be made to ensure that

Overpaid Union Thug

We are not a sinking ship. You can not say a company who brings in 58 billion dollars a year is a sinking ship. We are still a very profitable company, we still hammer fed ex making almost 12 billion dollars more a year than they do...think about that for a minute. We are still growing just not at the pace of the 80's. Every company hits their peak, we will still be the leading shipping company 20 years from now its just changes will be made to ensure that
Nope. Sinking ship is correct. The thing about slow leaks is they tend to become VERY LARGE leaks very suddenly if not fixed. We were already handing FedEx volume on a silver platter before ORION. Just wait and see what happens once ORION is the normal thing. Torpedos away!