Future Speculation

Serf

If I make it to 2040 with Express these are the changes I will expect to see. Surmise to say, but my daily observations are strong indicators. And when I cash out my PPA lump sum of enough money to buy a used friend-150 for a lifetime of service, I will get a book deal for 6 figures because I chronicled this. In no particular order.

*People in the USA will still set goals to become UPS drivers as career choices as long as wages/benefits/pension exists. Nobody will plan on a life at Express, just temporary stops. 3rd world immigrants, and ne'er do wellers.

*The job requirement that currently exists for the crop of new hires they bring in "must have 4 limbs and a pulse," will become must have one or the other.

*Express will be the chief guild artisan architect of the Highest Deductible Health Insurance Plan in the country. Literally.

*My work group will be half LGBTQ, if not more. Which is fine, but the individuals we have now are not strong enough to move AMJ cans now. The other half border line morbidly obese from eating fast food all day. The :censored2: they cram down will increase health costs across the board when 10% + of all staff is diabetic or pre diabetic.

*No matter what happens going forward, even amongst machines, drones, antiquated computer equipment, low life employees, Express will maintain a brigade sized element of over paid, clueless management that will self sustain it's self by taking SFA's for one another.

Meat

If I make it to 2040 with Express these are the changes I will expect to see. Surmise to say, but my daily observations are strong indicators. And when I cash out my PPA lump sum of enough money to buy a used friend-150 for a lifetime of service.

Don't worry about your marginal retirement prospects; the system will implode prior to 2040, so no worries there.

Schweddy

Balls
Interesting observations serf..the last one about management already seems true.

Don't worry about your marginal retirement prospects; the system will implode prior to 2040, so no worries there.

Can you get your stepdad to join bc so we can hear it from the source?

vantexan

If I make it to 2040 with Express these are the changes I will expect to see. Surmise to say, but my daily observations are strong indicators. And when I cash out my PPA lump sum of enough money to buy a used friend-150 for a lifetime of service, I will get a book deal for 6 figures because I chronicled this. In no particular order.

*People in the USA will still set goals to become UPS drivers as career choices as long as wages/benefits/pension exists. Nobody will plan on a life at Express, just temporary stops. 3rd world immigrants, and ne'er do wellers.

*The job requirement that currently exists for the crop of new hires they bring in "must have 4 limbs and a pulse," will become must have one or the other.

*Express will be the chief guild artisan architect of the Highest Deductible Health Insurance Plan in the country. Literally.

*My work group will be half LGBTQ, if not more. Which is fine, but the individuals we have now are not strong enough to move AMJ cans now. The other half border line morbidly obese from eating fast food all day. The :censored2: they cram down will increase health costs across the board when 10% + of all staff is diabetic or pre diabetic.

*No matter what happens going forward, even amongst machines, drones, antiquated computer equipment, low life employees, Express will maintain a brigade sized element of over paid, clueless management that will self sustain it's self by taking SFA's for one another.
I suspect that there will be a centralized location for management. Every morning employees will gather around a monitor for the meeting. No promotion from within, all managers hired off the street. A team leader will arrive early to get doors open, start sort. Any questions local CSA can't answer will be relayed to management headquarters. Costs related to managers being sued for harassment, sexual or otherwise, will be eliminated. No more SFA's. Any employees violating rules will be immediately terminated as there's a huge pool of applicants hoping to get hired. 4 weeks of vacation max. Only a 401k. HR is strictly automated online, and a survey will ask if they addressed your concerns. Computer will release a scent designed to leave you with a warm, fuzzy feeling.

Meat

Can you get your stepdad to join bc so we can hear it from the source?

As near as I can tell, the FedEx section of the BC is a place where front-line employees express their concerns (well, sometimes they just whine, but I digress) about their professional well being. Taking that into consideration, why would upper-management ever join the BC?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
As near as I can tell, the FedEx section of the BC is a place where front-line employees express their concerns (well, sometimes they just whine, but I digress) about their professional well being. Taking that into consideration, why would upper-management ever join the BC?
Especially nonexistent upper management who don't exist except in the mind of Meat? Lol.

dmac1

By 2040, maybe even 2030, there won't be any human drivers, loaders, sorters. Robotics and AI are advancing far faster than most people realize. There are so many ways around the need for drivers when all the 'personnel' at delivery locations are robotic as well. For any situation you could hypothesize that might require a human, a workaround with AI could be figured. If nothing else, in particular situations, a 'remote' operator could operate the robot and communicate via a screen to solve any problem.

Robots will be so cheap that hiring people to do anything 'manual' would be a violation of a corporations duty to the stockholders to maximize ROI, unless laws are changed to protect jobs.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
By 2040, maybe even 2030, there won't be any human drivers, loaders, sorters. Robotics and AI are advancing far faster than most people realize. There are so many ways around the need for drivers when all the 'personnel' at delivery locations are robotic as well. For any situation you could hypothesize that might require a human, a workaround with AI could be figured. If nothing else, in particular situations, a 'remote' operator could operate the robot and communicate via a screen to solve any problem.

Robots will be so cheap that hiring people to do anything 'manual' would be a violation of a corporations duty to the stockholders to maximize ROI, unless laws are changed to protect jobs.
And yet The Great Pumpkin claims he's going to put coal miners back to work. I'm surprised he didn't throw blacksmiths and elevator operators in there too.

vantexan

And yet The Great Pumpkin claims he's going to put coal miners back to work. I'm surprised he didn't throw blacksmiths and elevator operators in there too.
China has many coal fired plants. After the Chinese President recently met with Trump the Chinese turned back a coal shipment from North Korea and accepted one from us. Don't count out coal jobs just yet.

dmac1

They'll need the coal miners to clean up all the streams and replant the forests since restrictions are now eased under Trump on mountaintop removal mining.

dmac1

China has many coal fired plants. After the Chinese President recently met with Trump the Chinese turned back a coal shipment from North Korea and accepted one from us. Don't count out coal jobs just yet.

Takes seven people in the field at any one time to do mountaintop removal mining, which is now the way most coal mining is done. What's good for 'coal' isn't necessarily good for miners. 'Big Coal' doesn't care about the number of jobs, they only care about sales, and fewer miners means more profit.

vantexan

Takes seven people in the field at any one time to do mountaintop removal mining, which is now the way most coal mining is done. What's good for 'coal' isn't necessarily good for miners. 'Big Coal' doesn't care about the number of jobs, they only care about sales, and fewer miners means more profit.
And it was so before Obama about shut the industry down. Mining jobs pay well, the locals want it, there's nothing else viable on the horizon. Come up with something better and I'm sure they'd love to hear it.

vantexan

And it was so before Obama about shut the industry down. Mining jobs pay well, the locals want it, there's nothing else viable on the horizon. Come up with something better and I'm sure they'd love to hear it.
P.S. Also, what about the auxiliary jobs? Processing, loading, businesses springing up to serve well paid miners.

It will be fine

P.S. Also, what about the auxiliary jobs? Processing, loading, businesses springing up to serve well paid miners.
All dead end jobs. Coal is a dead man walking as it should be. It's the dirtiest form of energy that we have come up with. It should die. The country won't miss all the great minds and innovators coming out of Appalachia.

vantexan

All dead end jobs. Coal is a dead man walking as it should be. It's the dirtiest form of energy that we have come up with. It should die. The country won't miss all the great minds and innovators coming out of Appalachia.
Which is exactly why Hillary lost West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Ohio.