Future with UPS

John110

I recently got hired on as a seasonal evening package handler. Was told that if you do a good job and are on time daily, they will hire after Dec 31st.

I don't currently have any other work due to leaving a bad job previously, and figured I'd give it a try to be a UPS employee finally. I know it's only part time for years, but figured I could always just get any part-time job as I am still job hunting as 2 hours a night doesn't cut it.

I don't understand the UPS "culture" yet. What do I need to do or what should I look for?

If I get hired on after Dec 31st, I understand after 30 days I can join the Union and after a year I would get benefits (sucks they changed that!)

I have no interest in supervisor positions, but driving, loss prevention (big interest), other positions I may not know about. I know I don't want to be a package handler for a couple hours for the next 8 years.

Advice on how to move up/ahead and for the different positions I mentioned would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Re: Hired as a seasonal. Is it possible to get a permanent job afterwards?

Not matter what, I plan to work my ass off! I just want to know if my hard work might pay off or should I not get my hopes up?

If part-time then chances are very good for p/t job.
​If full-time then chances are not very good but good if you want a p/t job.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not matter what, I plan to work my ass off! I just want to know if my hard work might pay off or should I not get my hopes up?

Yes---your hard work will pay off----for the company.

Chances of getting a FT job are slim at best.

Chances of getting a PT job may be better.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

First things first------show up on time each and every day ready to work. Bust your ass while you are here. Keep your mouth shut. Let your work speak for itself. If and when you make your 30 days come back here and we will let you know what to expect from that point forward.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Seasonal period now goes to jan 15. So u would have to be kept on after that. Most people that show up on time every day and show that they want to stay with ups are kept on. May be laid off for a bit but turnover is enough if u stay free they'll ask you to come back.

raceanoncr

As an aside, 35 yrs ago, I was hired off the street as a seasonal package driver (yeah, they used to do that). Quit my seasonal heavy equipment operator job of 10 yrs just to go to UPS. They actually did tell me it was seasonal and no guarantee of return. Only the usual Blah, Blah, Blah..."If you do good, if we have a job for you, if you want to...."

Went in knowing that. Had already had 4 months of layoff every year in dirt work so was used to it.

Cut to the chase: After peak, I was laid off one day. Last day I was ever laid off at UPS. Went 32 yrs before retiring.

upschuck

Seasonal period now goes to jan 15. So u would have to be kept on after that. Most people that show up on time every day and show that they want to stay with ups are kept on. May be laid off for a bit but turnover is enough if u stay free they'll ask you to come back.

Does Jan 15 apply since we are working under old contract?

oldupsman

As an aside, 35 yrs ago, I was hired off the street as a seasonal package driver (yeah, they used to do that). Quit my seasonal heavy equipment operator job of 10 yrs just to go to UPS. They actually did tell me it was seasonal and no guarantee of return. Only the usual Blah, Blah, Blah..."If you do good, if we have a job for you, if you want to...."

Went in knowing that. Had already had 4 months of layoff every year in dirt work so was used to it.

Cut to the chase: After peak, I was laid off one day. Last day I was ever laid off at UPS. Went 32 yrs before retiring.

Same here. Hired as a seasonal package car driver in Oct. Hired 17 drivers off the street for peak that year. center manager made no secret from the start.
Fastest 2 guys get a fulltime job after peak. I won. Never got laid off 1 day. center manager actually made my seniority date retro back to the day I was hired in Oct.
I didn't appreciate that until much later.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I recently got hired on as a seasonal evening package handler. Was told that if you do a good job and are on time daily, they will hire after Dec 31st.

I don't currently have any other work due to leaving a bad job previously, and figured I'd give it a try to be a UPS employee finally. I know it's only part time for years, but figured I could always just get any part-time job as I am still job hunting as 2 hours a night doesn't cut it.

I don't understand the UPS "culture" yet. What do I need to do or what should I look for?

If I get hired on after Dec 31st, I understand after 30 days I can join the Union and after a year I would get benefits (sucks they changed that!)

I have no interest in supervisor positions, but driving, loss prevention (big interest), other positions I may not know about. I know I don't want to be a package handler for a couple hours for the next 8 years.

Advice on how to move up/ahead and for the different positions I mentioned would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Loss Prevention is still within the realm of management.

There might be opportunities to go driving sooner rather than later, but it all depends on what hub and region you're in. For example, the last PT'er to get into package cars here had over 19 years of seniority while we have 10-12 year guys bidding into Feeders with more classes to come after January because of all the Feeder drivers hired in the 1970's retiring.

John110

Thanks for the info everyone! I've heard a lot about the "sort test/sort job". Does this give you more hours once you're hired on?

I think turnover is going to be high, seems everyone isn't too happy I am working with and I am keeping my mouth shut and just doing my job. Hopefully with the turnover my chances increase as a package helper going perm.

As for loss prevention, if I were to join union as package handler, how would I apply for this? Do I let my supervisor know I am interested or HR? Or is there a bidding process? Thanks for any info.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"

I started 16 years ago during peak as a temp. So yes if you want to stay P/T .Move to the work,grow thick skin,and repeat after me "I am doing my best"

The Milkman

I took a phony sick leave from a dead end job, to be a seasonal driver back in 81..Was told if I was good they would call me back the following yr. Worked about 3 months, went back to old job after I got better..Called back in Sept following yr...........retired 1/08.......Off the street, them days are history..:peaceful:

BUCN85

Well I was hired as seasonal pre-load Oct 2007. Kept on after. Called in for about 6 months everyday before I was on schedule daily. Stuck it out with another pt job. I am now driving air and seasonal driver also a single day coverage driver. Getting closer and closer to FT driver. You deffinetly have to put in your time and earn your spot. The $$ is worth it though if your not afraid of work.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Thanks for the info everyone! I've heard a lot about the "sort test/sort job". Does this give you more hours once you're hired on?
Not any more hours, generally speaking. But $1/hr more. Also, a lot less bending over to pick up pkgs off the floor or low rollers; or climbing up load stands (2-3 foot stepstools).

livin the dream

Not any more hours, generally speaking. But $1/hr more. Also, a lot less bending over to pick up pkgs off the floor or low rollers; or climbing up load stands (2-3 foot stepstools).

yep. it really confuses me why so many loaders/unloaders seem to have no interest in getting out of the truck. i have a strong ass back and i still can't stand bending over skids all night.