Gas Prices

moreluck

golden ticket member
Never leave on a major trip on anything but a full tank!!!
Hubby filled up yesterday and had to drive to Lake Forest today and to Mission Viejo.....so it drank a quarter of a tank.
Satisfied nosy !

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Are we going to have another (delightful) moreluck free weekend here on Brown Café? : )

Normally I would agree with you on never leaving on a major trip on anything but a full tank but whenever I go to visit my daughter in Albany or my brother in Connecticut I will fill up before I leave to come back home as gas is 20 to 40 cents per gallon cheaper there.

rod

Retired 22 years
We normally fill up at Costco. Most times its about 7 cents a gallon cheaper than the rest but it has been as much as 23 cents a gallon cheaper. Being that I drive a full size truck that gets maybe 13 mpg I don't pay a whole lot of attention to gas prices because I know I'm going to take it up the rear any way you look at it. We are still fighting propane price gouging around here. It got as high as $6.47 a gallon but has dropped now to $3.67 with a limit of 200 gallons per customer.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Well, like I said last month, the OIL companies "rip off" of the american consumer in the middle of the first quarter has ended, and gas is on the big retreat. They will "walk back" the price of oil for the months of march and april and then, at the end of April, start to accelerate the price of oil again everyday until they get it back to 4 bucks a gallon by memorial day weekend.

For now, the slow walk back to 3.50 a gallon is on. Prices will drop about 6 cents a week from now until the end of april.

The fix is in.

Oil reached 97 bucks a barrel and now in less than 7 days has gone to 89 dollars a barrel.

With the world and the USA sitting on a glut of oil, there is no reason why the price per gallon should be this high.

But, its the GOP way, un regulated capitalism.

Peace

TOS
The sad part about it is that most of us would be happy to see 3 bux a gallon. That's really sad.

I know the high cost of gas is not a funny subject, but I did chuckle when I read Gordon Dillow's column in the Orange County Register today.

He said customers will complain about the $3.15 for a gallon of gas, but they don't make a peep about walking into the mini-mart and paying just over a dollar for a one-pint plastic bottles of water which comes to $8 a gallon.....For water !!

The column was titled "Forget Gas! Just Tell Me Why Beer's $9 a Gallon."

Also, on a talk show some politician was saying how we need to drill for oil in Alaska but the "green" folks give us grief when it's brought up. He said,"C'mon, I like caribou as much as the next guy and probably goes well with A-1 Sauce, but we gotta go get the oil up there."

Is the gas situation changing anyone's vacation plans? Are the summer trips still on or have they been shortened?

No option left with us now for cost of gas.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Everything gets worse with Democrats in control. Just take a look at my avatar.

w200-140e8bd10842c324ab0e7228ed9db7f5.jpg

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Shouldn't we tax things we want to use less of.. (fossil fuel, alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, prostitution)? Anyone know when the last time we raised the federal taxes on gas was?

Last edited:

Rainman

Its all good.
Shouldn't we tax things we want to use less of.. (fossil fuel, alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, prostitution)? Anyone know when the last time we raised the federal taxes on gas was?
If we started legalizing a lot of things and started taxing them, then we could get rid of a lot of organized crime and lower the deficit, along with eliminating the need for so many prisons. What the heck, let's give it a shot.

Sent using BrownCafe App

realbrown1

This premis is just stupid. Why should taxes always go up according to democrats? Because then they can use the money that they take from people to spend on their pet projects like welfare, food stamps, and public housing.
News flash, taxes are too high.

realbrown1

If we started legalizing a lot of things and started taxing them, then we could get rid of a lot of organized crime and lower the deficit, along with eliminating the need for so many prisons. What the heck, let's give it a shot.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Don't forget how many jobs you can create with all the new drug rehab centers that will be opening shortly after drugs are legalized. Drugs are just bad news. Most people, in my humble opinion, would be way better off just steering clear of drugs. Legalizing drugs will just make it easier for the stupid to ruin their lives all the faster.

Rainman

Its all good.
Don't forget how many jobs you can create with all the new drug rehab centers that will be opening shortly after drugs are legalized. Drugs are just bad news. Most people, in my humble opinion, would be way better off just steering clear of drugs. Legalizing drugs will just make it easier for the stupid to ruin their lives all the faster.
I agree drugs are bad news, as is alcohol. People are going to screw up things through excess any way they can. My tongue in cheek comment wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Rainman

Its all good.
This premis is just stupid. Why should taxes always go up according to democrats? Because then they can use the money that they take from people to spend on their pet projects like welfare, food stamps, and public housing.
Not use, waste.

Sent using BrownCafe App

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Pet projects.... you mean like roads? Your premiss is just stupid.

Gas Tax is 18.4 cents: 15.44 to Highway Account, 2.86 to Mass Transit, .1 cents to leaking underground storage tank program.

When Ronald Reagan took office the tax was 4 cents, he raised it by 9 cents (8 cents to the Highway Account and 1 cent to Mass Transit).

George H.W. Bush raised it 5 cents(half to the Highway Trust Fund, half to deficit reduction).

Bill Clinton raised it 4.3 cents in 93' going entirely to deficit reduction, and in 97' redirected it all to the Highway Fund.

So 20 years since we raised the gas tax. Do you really not understand why it needs to be raised again?

News flash, America's infrastructure is crumbling.

realbrown1

How did we manage to maintain our roads before all these gas tax hikes?
I guess if you were in charge we would be looking at massive, across the board tax inceases.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
How did we manage to maintain our roads before all these gas tax hikes?
I guess if you were in charge we would be looking at massive, across the board tax inceases.
How did you jump to that conclusion?
There's lots of things that could be debated rather than just complaining and trying to blame it all on poor people like you're doing.

How about link the gas tax to inflation. How about more of a toll road type system. How about we put more of the costs on the state level. How about we do all of these things.

As for how we managed to maintain our roads before the gas tax.... we took the money from other taxes. The money has to be spent one way or another.