gas tax

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Yep, that's part of quality.
My point is that US roadways are much cheaper in the short run and long-term than German Autobahns.
You'll never get an argument from me on quality of the Autobahn ... the German's pay for that quality.

I don't know how you say that. Around here, the same roads have to be rebuilt 15 times in 25 years.
Everyone knows you just made this up ... there is no way the same road surface has to be resurfaced (rebuilt) every 20 months (as you stated).

bbsam

Staff member
Yep, that's part of quality.
My point is that US roadways are much cheaper in the short run and long-term than German Autobahns.
You'll never get an argument from me on quality of the Autobahn ... the German's pay for that quality.

Everyone knows you just made this up ... there is no way the same road surface has to be resurfaced (rebuilt) every 20 months (as you stated).
How is it cheaper in the short or long term if they have to rebuilt (or repaired) more often and during the life of the road, the road sucks?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Ummmm have you not looked today?
UPS Stock 2Feb18.jpg

Catatonic

Nine Lives
How is it cheaper in the short or long term if they have to rebuilt (or repaired) more often and during the life of the road, the road sucks?
It's based on the time value of money.
A dollar spent today has more value than a dollar spent 20 years from now.

Note: The Germans are resurfacing and patching their roadways all the time as well ... just not as often as the US does.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The same way that buying a Kia Sorento for $19k versus buying a Bentley for $150k ... quality is not free.