Gay Rights

DS

Fenderbender
I agree about the vegans...they seem pretty comfy in their leather seats.
And they always look pale.

Dfigtree

Try this blog http://www.beyondhomophobia.com/blog/

"Lesbians, gay men, and heterosexuals seek similar qualities in their romantic partners. “Regardless of sexual orientation, most individuals value affection, dependability, shared interests, and similarity of religious beliefs. Men, regardless of sexual orientation, are more likely to emphasize a partner’s physical attractiveness; women, regardless of sexual orientation, give greater emphasis to personality characteristics.”

Last edited:

steeltoe

"I persoanlly never made the choice to be a heterosexual."

This kind of thinking scares me. We make the choice to do the right thing or the wrong thing 100 times a day.

With your logic, it should be legal to have sex with children because you have no choice.
It should be legal to have sex with the dog, because you have always been attracted to animals.

This is where America is headed. This is why we must speak out, and not tolerate this. America is in a huge downward spiral. It is time to take a stand!

So, over9five, I see you did not understand my quote. You should be scared of not understanding what I said. In a nutshell, I stated that you do not have the choice to have feelings for either sex. You are born with the feelings you have for for the opposite sex or for that matter the same sex. You can choose whether to act on those feelings. I choose to act on my heterosexual feelings. Yes, we choose to do the right or the wrong thing daily, but you can not help your feelings.

Obviously you did not understand what I was trying to offer the group. As far as your statement about children and animals. Have you ever heard of slippery slope. Again, the act is a choice, not the feelings. A child is not of age to make a responsible decision about sex. That is why it is illegal. Decision equals choice. Animals can not make decisions about sex. They go into heat at certain times of the year. Again, it is about choice concerning the act of sex.

I certainly hope that I did not offend anyone in any way, but no one answered my question about have feelings for either sex. If you believe that having these feelings then when did you make that decision? I do not remember ever making such a decision, because I did not make such a decision. I was born with the feelings for the opposite sex, I make the choice to act on them.:)

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
:crying: I can't believe some of the things you guys have posted (and I deleted) in this thread...

Some of you seem incapable of having an intelligent adult discussion about this subject. I am very disappointed...

UPS Lifer

Just one of the things I am thankful for (working for UPS) is the fact that the company has provided me an arena of diversity to work in. I have had to work with people of all religions, color, economic status, and backgrounds as well as sexual preferences. It has not only made me tolerant of others, it has helped me to want to understand other people and their differences and preferences.

What makes us (human beings) different from other animals is our intelligence and the ability to reason.

No one should be forced to follow a belief that is not of their choosing....and that philosophy should go both ways!

Here is the hard part...because of politics which is more like a popularity contest....

It is up to our legislatures to define the laws to protect ALL constituients not just straight and/or married folks! The irony to me is that these folks who are so religious and righteous can condemn those that are not like them.

It makes me sad. However, I do see the glass half full. I have seen the changes over the years and eventually this will be a non issue or will hold a minority point of view.

35 years ago I would have been considered a male-chauvinist pig...not anymore (hopefully)! I witnessed my wife being discriminated against in the workplace. I have watched friends come out of the closet. I saw Vietnam vets disrespected and spit upon after returning from fighting for their country. I could go on and on about religion and ethnic diversity as well.

Think about this....all of a sudden you find out one of your kids is gay, how would you respond to that situation?

Why aren't gay people allowed to marry? This is America, right? What gives me (or you) the authority to determine or interpret what God thinks is right?

rod

Retired 22 years
I want to see the deleated stuff. Come on Cheryl. You can blank out the bad stuff and let us fill them in.

brazenbrown

"over9five, gays are not "sick deviants" who "should be asking for help." Grow up."

I disagree. Homosexuality is a mental disorder. There is something wrong in their brain that needs to be fixed, not accommodated!

"Whatever... you all can hate as much as you want... "
"..the only thing I really hate is the intolerance and ignorance.."

And I take offense when someone calls me hateful, intolerant, ignorant, and a bigot because I disagree with them. Is that how you defend your argument? By calling me names??? I think you should grow up.

So calling people sick deviants with a mental disorder that have brains that need to be fixed is not intolerance or ignorance?? Please:mad:

Deviant: One that differs from a norm, especially a person whose behavior and attitudes differ from accepted social standards.

Intolerant: Not tolerating or respecting beliefs, opinions, usages, manners, etc., different from one's own, as in political or religious matters; bigoted

This thread started off with a topic of debate regarding benefits for gay partners and ended up in a homophobic display of intolerance.

Yours and others unwillingness to tolerate differences in opinions, practices, or beliefs, is narrow and closed minded.

Channahon

The article was not well written. The state of New Jersey is asking the teamsters to provide insurance for gay teamsters, UPS already provides insurance for non-union domestic partners.

A negotiation item for the next contract?

Are these gay people married?? If not, why should they get benefits for their partner?? What about a man and a woman dating?? living together for years and years?? Should they get the benefits??

I agree with you. When the benefits for same sex domestic partners was made available for non management at UPS, I had to provide proof of my marriage to my husband who had been on my benefits for over 20 years. And he doesn't have a unisex name either.
Go figure??

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
America is burning like Rome!! It's time we stopped all this BULL S%$# and take back this country before the liberals and lawyers destroy it any further. 1 Put GOD back in school instead of SEX ED for 5 yr olds. 2 Close the boarders, 3 all foriegn students here serve two yrs in service before school. 4 America is 80 % christian, put Christmas back in schools,town squares and offices,(dont like it celebrate your holiday some place else,you may be jailed or killed) 5 If our founding fathers wanted a man to be with a man ,it would already be in the Bill Of Rights !!! WHAT IS NEXT HERE are we gonna adopt or marry our dogs to get health care!!!!! the liberals are costing this country millions I'm not anti gay just tired of everybody wanting their own set of rules wich in turn cost all of us.

HazMatMan

America is burning like Rome!! It's time we stopped all this BULL S%$# and take back this country before the liberals and lawyers destroy it any further. 1 Put GOD back in school instead of SEX ED for 5 yr olds. 2 Close the boarders, 3 all foriegn students here serve two yrs in service before school. 4 America is 80 % christian, put Christmas back in schools,town squares and offices,(dont like it celebrate your holiday some place else,you may be jailed or killed) 5 If our founding fathers wanted a man to be with a man ,it would already be in the Bill Of Rights !!! WHAT IS NEXT HERE are we gonna adopt or marry our dogs to get health care!!!!! the liberals are costing this country millions I'm not anti gay just tired of everybody wanting their own set of rules wich in turn cost all of us.

You don't have to marry old fido, I believe you can get health insurance for your pet (at a price of course)(no kidding, really)
Our so called founding fathers also wrote all men are created equal, I think they meant all white people are created equal.(because they sure as hell didn't include anybody else) I think God was the first to frown upon gays, in the bible.(please correct me if I am wrong) And he says to love one another. (Hypocrytical??)

just curious, does this opinion come with a burning cross and white sheet or do you pay extra for that?

diesel96

Wow....I was gonna leave this thread alone but when I saw all the replys it perked my curiosity so I opened it to see a post go from benefits for gays to homophobics to political pundits ramming their views/ beliefs down peoples throats..Cheryl was right!
[qoute=cheryl]:crying: I can't believe some of the things you guys have posted (and I deleted) in this thread...

Some of you seem incapable of having an intelligent adult discussion about this subject. I am very disappointed...

moreluck

golden ticket member
I don't think Woodsy is that far off the mark. The first 4 things I actually agree with. The 5th one I'm still mulling it over. I didn't think our founding fathers invented marriage between a man & a woman. God did that."
I didn't post to get any flak.....just part of the "silent majority" !!

Overpaid Union Thug

I believe I have found some humor in this one. Someone mentioned Whales were seen engaging in same sex activitys and some were even caught with a rocks? LOL! Well if the sexual tendencies of whales are to be used in the comparisons and justifications of the sex acts of humans than would it be ok if I immitated a Spider Monkey and locked myself in a cage in a public place and pleasur...Oh nevermind.

See where I'm headed with this? We are not whales, monkeys, or dolphins. We are human beings. They may or may not try homosexual acts but the difference between us and them is that we know better. I mean come on! LOL! Should we be using the sexual tendencies of lower life forms, some of which sniff their own, and each other's butts, as a basis of comparison to justify this issue? :)

aspenleaf

I believe I have found some humor in this one. Someone mentioned Whales were seen engaging in same sex activitys and some were even caught with a rocks? LOL! Well if the sexual tendencies of whales are to be used in the comparisons and justifications of the sex acts of humans than would it be ok if I immitated a Spider Monkey and locked myself in a cage in a public place and pleasur...Oh nevermind.

See where I'm headed with this? We are not whales, monkeys, or dolphins. We are human beings. They may or may not try homosexual acts but the difference between us and them is that we know better. I mean come on! LOL! Should we be using the sexual tendencies of lower life forms, some of which sniff their own, and each other's butts, as a basis of comparison to justify this issue? :)

LOL - I mentioned the whales because I didn't know that animals did that. I was not saying we were like them; we have not reached that level yet! What species is out there working each day killing themselves? You call that smart?

I found this topic very interesting because it happened to be the topic of the week for my ethics class. I had to do a lot of research and post on the forum for my online class. The results were about the same with my class agreeing with most of you.

What I don’t understand is why people are so hateful. I don’t mean that you don’t approve of the gays but most of you don’t think anyone should have an opinion that differs from yours. There was a lot of name calling on both sides. I believe we are all intelligent and we should be able to have a rational discussion about this topic.

W

westsideworma

LOL - I mentioned the whales because I didn't know that animals did that. I was not saying we were like them; we have not reached that level yet! What species is out there working each day killing themselves? You call that smart?

I found this topic very interesting because it happened to be the topic of the week for my ethics class. I had to do a lot of research and post on the forum for my online class. The results were about the same with my class agreeing with most of you.

What I don’t understand is why people are so hateful. I don’t mean that you don’t approve of the gays but most of you don’t think anyone should have an opinion that differs from yours. There was a lot of name calling on both sides. I believe we are all intelligent and we should be able to have a rational discussion about this topic.

People are afraid of change aspen. I grew up with this kind of stuff so it really doesn't affect me at all. I have a few gay/bi friends and I don't view them as deviants or sick people. I just see my friend who was my friend long before I even knew they were gay/bi and will continue to be after. I don't care who they take to bed with then, if it makes them happy then good for them. Who is attractive to you is not a choice as someone already said, its a feeling. You don't choose things like that.

That all being said, I can see where most of you are coming from with the definition of marriage and such. I agree on a lot of it, but also disagree in a lot of areas as well. I don't know if they should be allowed to marry, I know it doesn't bother me if they are. At the end of the day I'll still put on my pants on leg at a time and live my life, I've got much bigger things to be concerned with. To think of it so does this country...word is theres a small bar fight going on in some pub called Iraq? Not really sure though. I am not a liberal or a conservative, the extremes are what is wrong with this country. If you lean all the way to one side or the other you miss the big picture in the middle (where many people lie). Though it seems as long as your (whichever end you fall on) beliefs are pushed forward, you don't care.

I have lost a lot of respect for some people on this thread not because of the topic but because even though some are much older and supposedly wiser than I, they are acting like children calling names, making possibly false accusations then treating it as fact as well as just being flat-out hateful. The fact that people like this are in politics are the reason this country is in shambles, not gay/lesbian rights.

blue efficacy

I am very disappointed to work for the same company as a lot of you hardcore xtian homophobes who find beliefs different than yours to be unacceptable.

Nobody's saying you can't belong to a hateful right wing church, but keep that garbage out of my schools and out of my government.

over9five

Staff member
"Yours and others unwillingness to tolerate differences in opinions, practices, or beliefs, is narrow and closed minded."

So your unwillingness to tolerate my opinion makes you narrow and closed minded too, right?

aspenleaf

"Yours and others unwillingness to tolerate differences in opinions, practices, or beliefs, is narrow and closed minded."

So your unwillingness to tolerate my opinion makes you narrow and closed minded too, right?

That would be correct over9five! It goes both ways. I don't think anyone here should deny what they believe. I do think the name calling should stop (not saying you did that in this post). I really doubt anyone would read anything in this thread and change their deep seeded beliefs. I mean if the whales can’t convince people what will??? :tongue_sm