Georgia's Beloved Congressman John Lewis Diagnosed With Pancreatic Cancer

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Georgia's Beloved Congressman John Lewis Diagnosed With Pancreatic Cancer

Rep. John Lewis announced Sunday that he is battling Stage IV pancreatic cancer and will begin undergoing treatments. The cancer was discovered during a normal routine medical visit this month.

The 79-year-old congressman from Atlanta and civil rights icon said that he is prepared to fight.

“While I am clear-eyed about the prognosis, doctors have told me that recent medical advances have made this type of cancer treatable in many cases, that treatment options are no longer as debilitating as they once were, and that I have a fighting chance,” Lewis said Sunday.

“I have been in some kind of fight for freedom, equality, basic human rights — for nearly my entire life.”

newfie

He is here in Georgia ... he was there with MLK in the civil rights movement.

To me he's like many that marched with MLK and had it right then only to lose their way and their message later in life. He's the guy that hit the world series homerun in the 9th inning of the 7th game and has done nothing worthwhile since other then to grandstand.

MLK didnt run from those he disagreed with he went to them and had dialogue with them.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
John Lewis dead at 80 - American Civil Rights Leader
The Georgia lawmaker had been suffering from Stage IV pancreatic cancer since December.

In addition to being a central figure in the fight to end racial segregation, Lewis served in the House of Representatives since 1987.

He was a decorated civil rights icon and served in the House of Representatives since 1987. Before entering US politics, Lewis championed desegregation and was one of the original Freedom Riders, a group of civil rights activists who rode interstate buses through the South to demonstrate against segregated bus terminals.

Along with Martin Luther King Jr., he was an organizer of the March on Washington in 1963, a seminal moment in the Civil Rights Movement that led to the passage of voting rights for Blacks two years later.
Lewis was the last surviving speaker of the 1963 March on Washington.

"John Lewis was an American treasure," wrote Martin Luther King III, the oldest son of Martin Luther King, Jr. "He gave a voice to the voiceless, and he reminded each of us that the most powerful nonviolent tool is the vote. Our hearts feel empty without our friend, but we find comfort knowing that he is free at last."

Rep. John Lewis, D-Ga., the civil rights leader stands beneath a bust of Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., as members of the Congressional Black Caucus gather for the memorial ceremony for the late Maryland Rep. Elijah Cummings, at the Capitol in Washington.

View attachment 302711

newfie

John Lewis dead at 80 - American Civil Rights Leader
The Georgia lawmaker had been suffering from Stage IV pancreatic cancer since December.

In addition to being a central figure in the fight to end racial segregation, Lewis served in the House of Representatives since 1987.

He was a decorated civil rights icon and served in the House of Representatives since 1987. Before entering US politics, Lewis championed desegregation and was one of the original Freedom Riders, a group of civil rights activists who rode interstate buses through the South to demonstrate against segregated bus terminals.

Along with Martin Luther King Jr., he was an organizer of the March on Washington in 1963, a seminal moment in the Civil Rights Movement that led to the passage of voting rights for Blacks two years later.
Lewis was the last surviving speaker of the 1963 March on Washington.

"John Lewis was an American treasure," wrote Martin Luther King III, the oldest son of Martin Luther King, Jr. "He gave a voice to the voiceless, and he reminded each of us that the most powerful nonviolent tool is the vote. Our hearts feel empty without our friend, but we find comfort knowing that he is free at last."

Rep. John Lewis, D-Ga., the civil rights leader stands beneath a bust of Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., as members of the Congressional Black Caucus gather for the memorial ceremony for the late Maryland Rep. Elijah Cummings, at the Capitol in Washington.

View attachment 302711

he mirrored MLK's teachings early on and was a hero for it and later he became just another race hustler. We will miss the former and are better off without the latter.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
he mirrored MLK's teachings early on and was a hero for it and later he became just another race hustler. We will miss the former and are better off without the latter.
I respected his views throughout his life with the exception of dividing America by not recognizing the elections of Bush in 2000 and Trump in 2016.
Those two showed weaker parts of his character proving that that no one is perfect.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I was listening to memories about John Lewis by Emanuel Cleaver (D-MO) and he said he knew that John Lewis condemned these BLM protestors that were violently destroying statues and other property and that is one thing I admired about MLK and John Lewis so much.
I remember protesting back in the early 70's against the Jim Cow laws and the racism by many Whites against Blacks in rural South Georgia.
I lost a lot of friends for doing so but I didn't then and still don't care.
I support the BLM protests against racial profiling and harassment by the police ... I don't respect anything else in the movement and violent protests/looting/destruction that has occurred.

The big package

I agree that John Lewis had a great history and probably had good intentions , but unfortunately he got sucked up in the radical left who called for the impeachment of the President for basically no reason whatsoever other than they were mad he became President and Hillary Clinton did not . That does not go well with half of the country it more divides the country then brings people together . Martin Luther King was a religious man not so political and would probably not support black lives matter today , and certainly would have condemned the anti-Semitic rhetoric . He was about equal treatment for everybody!!!!

newfie

I respected his views throughout his life with the exception of dividing America by not recognizing the elections of Bush in 2000 and Trump in 2016.
Those two showed weaker parts of his character proving that that no one is perfect.

I think he along with other race baiters forgot what MLK taught him. All those race hustlers were homeys with Trump before he got elected and then sold their souls for politics.

MLK would have never avoided showing up . In fact Trump would have had to lock the gates to keep him out.

Box Ox

He got famous for getting beat up and milked that for over 50 years.

Well, skull fractured by Alabama State Troopers while peacefully marching to secure equal rights for black Americans.

AP_405620504885.jpg

Box Ox

A democrat delivered the blow. and Lewis then represents the party for 33 years.

Splain that one for me Lucy.

Don't play dumb and act like the Democratic Party of today is the same as it was then.

How the ‘Party of Lincoln’ Won Over the Once Democratic South

"Up until the post-World War II period, the party’s hold on the region was so entrenched that Southern politicians usually couldn’t get elected unless they were Democrats. But when President Harry S. Truman, a Democratic Southerner, introduced a pro-civil rights platform at the party’s 1948 convention, a faction walked out.

These defectors, known as the “Dixiecrats,” held a separate convention in Birmingham, Alabama. There, they nominated South Carolina Governor Strom Thurmond, a staunch opposer of civil rights, to run for president on their “States’ Rights” ticket. Although Thurmond lost the election to Truman, he still won over a million popular votes.

It “was the first time since before the Civil War that the South was not solidly Democratic,” Goldfield says. “And that began the erosion of the southern influence in the Democratic party.”

After that, the majority of the South still continued to vote Democratic because it thought of the Republican party as the party of Abraham Lincoln and Reconstruction. The big break didn’t come until President Johnson, another Southern Democrat, signed the Civil Rights Act in 1964 and the Voting Rights Act in 1965.

Though some Democrats had switched to the Republican party prior to this, “the defections became a flood” after Johnson signed these acts, Goldfield says. “And so the political parties began to reconstitute themselves.”

The change wasn’t total or immediate. During the late 1960s and early ‘70s, white Southerners were still transitioning away from the Democratic party (newly enfranchised black Southerners voted and continue to vote Democratic). And even as Republican Richard Nixon employed a “Southern strategy” that appealed to the racism of Southern white voters, former Alabama Governor George Wallace (who’d wanted “segregation now, segregation tomorrow, and segregation forever”) ran as a Democrat in the 1972 presidential primaries.

By the time Ronald Reagan became president in 1980, the Republican party’s hold on white Southerners was firm. Today, the Republican party remains the party of the South. It’s an ironic outcome considering that a century ago, white Southerners would’ve never considered voting for the party of Lincoln."

floridays

Don't play dumb and act like the Democratic Party of today is the same as it was then.

How the ‘Party of Lincoln’ Won Over the Once Democratic South

"Up until the post-World War II period, the party’s hold on the region was so entrenched that Southern politicians usually couldn’t get elected unless they were Democrats. But when President Harry S. Truman, a Democratic Southerner, introduced a pro-civil rights platform at the party’s 1948 convention, a faction walked out.

These defectors, known as the “Dixiecrats,” held a separate convention in Birmingham, Alabama. There, they nominated South Carolina Governor Strom Thurmond, a staunch opposer of civil rights, to run for president on their “States’ Rights” ticket. Although Thurmond lost the election to Truman, he still won over a million popular votes.

It “was the first time since before the Civil War that the South was not solidly Democratic,” Goldfield says. “And that began the erosion of the southern influence in the Democratic party.”

After that, the majority of the South still continued to vote Democratic because it thought of the Republican party as the party of Abraham Lincoln and Reconstruction. The big break didn’t come until President Johnson, another Southern Democrat, signed the Civil Rights Act in 1964 and the Voting Rights Act in 1965.

Though some Democrats had switched to the Republican party prior to this, “the defections became a flood” after Johnson signed these acts, Goldfield says. “And so the political parties began to reconstitute themselves.”

The change wasn’t total or immediate. During the late 1960s and early ‘70s, white Southerners were still transitioning away from the Democratic party (newly enfranchised black Southerners voted and continue to vote Democratic). And even as Republican Richard Nixon employed a “Southern strategy” that appealed to the racism of Southern white voters, former Alabama Governor George Wallace (who’d wanted “segregation now, segregation tomorrow, and segregation forever”) ran as a Democrat in the 1972 presidential primaries.

By the time Ronald Reagan became president in 1980, the Republican party’s hold on white Southerners was firm. Today, the Republican party remains the party of the South. It’s an ironic outcome considering that a century ago, white Southerners would’ve never considered voting for the party of Lincoln."
It exactly is, the first example I will offer is school choice.
Exactly which party, at least the non Rhinos, want to extend vouchers to allow all disadvantaged, blacks for the most part is the target, an opportunity for federal funds to choose the school they prefer?

Where does the democrat party stand on school choice and vouchers?

Knock that out and we can continue.