getting burnt out

bigdog

$8.50 per hour is too low. Students are generally on their parents insurance, so they don't care about benefits. Typically if someone takes the job and has a good full time job, they willl stay a little longer for the benefits, but you have to look at it this way: $8.50 is better than zero, and as soon as something bettter comes along they leave. McDonalds in this area pays $9 per hour, benefits, uniforms, meals, inside (cool in the summer, warm in the winter), no heavy lifting, tuition re-imbursement, and flexible schedules. They are just one on many employers competiting for the same part time employee UPS is looking for.

We used to have people lined up to work at UPS because they could make in a week part time what their friends made working 40 hours (some of you old timers remember this), but now we are a victim of what $8.50 attracts. Think about it this way: 1 out of 2 part timers are staying with UPS, they are not the cream of the crop, but if they make it and stay they are your future full time drivers or better yet management promotions. So we promote the best of the "worst" because this is all that is left. We have to do something to attract and retain young talent or it won't be long before we are #2 or #3 in this highly competitive market.

diehard

dude quit and quit crying. Work hard prove yourself and you will get promoted. Tell your boss you want to get promoted and why and keep telling he or she. That what you need to do. It will all come togethr in the end if you work hard. Trust me. Something take time, Rome was not built over night. Be loyal and your ROI will be worth it. Good Luck

hoser

Industrial Slob
You sure do assume a lot about my unstated viewpoints.

1. Cut the name-calling. It's childish and only diminishes my opinion of you.
2. I'm in college. Hence, why I am a part-time employee.
3. Where do you come up with $25/hr? I have even made suggestions as to what rate I think us package handlers should be paid. You assume that because I'm not making enough to keep up with my bills that I automatically want more than you likely make?
4. You seem to resent those who work less hours than you.
If you're in college, you should be smart enough to realise that UPS pt is not supposed to be a 'living wage'. It's supposed to be beer money and tuition. You're foolish to assume otherwise. If you have rent to pay, then you need to start thinking responsibly (rather than reliantly) cut your courseload, and get a second job.

I work 15-19 hours a week, BTW.

If you want 'living wage', don't be a student, stop working pt, and get a job in a mill.

You're in college, you should be smart enough to realise why you get $8.50, rather than whining about how they should give you more because hey, it feels good and the workmen want it and the capitalist superstructure is fat enough as it is. You get paid $8.50 because that's what the market dictates. If there's short supply, there will be higher demand, and therefore, higher wages. But there are people that want your job (supply), so $8.50 is the rate (demand). Where I am, that starting rate is $13.10 and that's still not enough. And don't forget the tuition reimbursement which adds $3-8 to your wage easy.

And stop crying over the workload then say "oh I don't mind working hard but i do mind working hard for $8.50". Fair enough. You say that your labor is worth more than $8.50. That's fine. Leave then. Don't bother seeing what opportunities there are for advancement (how many college kids can say they supervised at a fortune500 company that isn't retail or foodservice AND had their tuition paid for?) Go to a call centre and make $10/hr without reimbursement. Just stop asking us how to think for you, then get defensive when some people go against what you want to hear.

Last edited:

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
I feel at first it's like anything else, you have to deal with the pay. Don't like it then leave.

After 5.5 years at ups I as a part timer am making 15.07, and in august I will be right about at 16.00....

Just got to hang in there, you will get pay increases, although I got in under the old contract, the new one ain't looking to good for you guys.