Getting fired for Attendance

CTOTH

Not retired, just tired
I guess people have different priorites concerning attendance. I think most feel that if it is possible to get to work, they will try to. I think most of us at one time or another have been sick, had the flu, colds, aches and pains, severe lack of interest, or what ever the reason might have been.

But we still manage to get to work and try to do our best even when our best isn't 100%. I think there is that driving force within us that makes most of us try to give the effort. I also know there are times when getting to work just isn't possible.

I also think there are people that don't have the maturity to have their priorities in the right place yet. Those are the ones that could care less if they had a job or not, they just seem to do things that are convenient at the moment. Not giving any thought to who might be affected by their actions. Those are usually the same ones that cry the loudest when things don't go their way.

I know there are times when a person just can't get to work, whether on time or at all for whatever reason. If there is a pattern formed where a person misses work continually, then I think there needs to be some thought given if that person really has what it takes and has the maturity to be a team player at the work place.

Though I agree with the majority of your post, I think you overlooked something. It would be interesting to compare the differences in a p/ter's and friend/ter's priorities.

Most p/ters won't give 100% after having already put in 9 hours earlier that day or having to put in 9 more hours later in the day, not for $8.50/hour.

I'm a part-timer on the local sort and though I don't have an attendance problem at UPS, I easily could have. It's pretty hard to come home for 1 hour a night to eat dinner and explain to you child that you have to go to work again so Mom and Dad don't have to mortgage the house next time we have a doctor's visit.

Also when you're running 14-15 hours a day is much easier to catch a cold. If I feel a cold coming on, I will not be at UPS that night. I'll get a good night's sleep and take the proper precautions to eliminate it before it's a problem.

If I have a doctor's appointment, I'll have to miss work at UPS or at the very least show up late. It's even difficult to find time to go and check my PO Box at the post office.

If I was making $25/hour it might be a higher priority but for now I'll continue down the same path regardless of what management tells me.

Overpaid Union Thug

I don't understand the whole attendance problem. I'm on my 9th year at UPS and there are people on my shift that have called in more days in the past year than I have total for 9 years. I look at it this way...if you have more call ins and/or no call no shows then you've had vacations days then you have an attendance problem.

browniehound

This question is for drivers only. Let's say you're not sick, but couldn't fall asleep the night before or fell asleep at 430 and get up at 6. Do you think its safe for you to go on the road? On occasion I suffer from insomnia, and if I get zero hours sleep I usually call in. When they ask why and tell them I didn't get any sleep they usually don't give me any crap.

To me going on the road in any vehicle with no sleep is a serious safety hazard.

HazMatMan

Im being fired for attendance i know some of the days there counting are days i was sick and had a doctors note. Im going to fill a grievance but i have know idea how to fill it out... what should i say on the grievance?

How many days you got out?? Did they follow the disciplinary procedures?? And if you file a grievance over getting fired for your bad attendance YOU WILL LOSE. Why do you take off??

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
It doesnt seem to be much of a problem to get a day off if you need it, til summer, when the vacas kick in, then its usually a disaster when someone calls off. Only you know if you can handle the day ahead. Based on the sleep you got, or lack of.
We had a driver who was having sleep problems, so beware. Im not exactly sure of the situation, but I do know they took him off his job until he went to a sleep clinic, etc. I think he had sleep apnea.

W

westsideworma

On my Day Sort, I think the turnover is about 2/3. I think I saw Preload had a 99.3% turnover for 2006. Attendance should be the last of management's concerns. But...someone is screamed at and that changes. -Rocky

our turnover rate is 125% (is that even possible).....yeah we're a bunch of winners here :w00t:

HazMatMan

I don't understand the whole attendance problem. I'm on my 9th year at UPS and there are people on my shift that have called in more days in the past year than I have total for 9 years. I look at it this way...if you have more call ins and/or no call no shows then you've had vacations days then you have an attendance problem.

Um let's see, I get 4 weeks vacation, that's 20 days off. Ok, so i'm an attendance problem...:w00t: Are you counting sick days (6) and poh's (5)????

HazMatMan

Only been late maybe 3 times and only by a few minutes, we should do a poll on lateness. I dont think Ive been late oh maybe once in 10 yrs and ive always lived 40 to 70 miles away.

Year to date I have about 8 to 10 latenesses... That's the best it's been in a long time....:thumbup1:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Wow things have changed.
I know preload is the worst, abnormal shift to get up for, but it was the only job I had, so I knew I had to get there on time.
Its not the first time ive heard someone tell me what you just did, and they didnt think it was a big deal, either. Its not about the money you make either, a job is your job, and you took it for whatever pay they gave you. Doesnt matter if its 9 or 25 per hour. If someone doesnt need it, why put yourself through it? If you need it, youd care enough to be on time.
I guess if you have sick days and opt days then it really isnt a big deal, some of us dont, so every day we are off it counts against us. And I dont really know anyone who has a lateness problem pt as most are gone when I start. And if drivers are late they get reamed, and if anyone was late alot it would not be let go. Although sometimes I think the 3 blind mice loaded my truck, but it goes with the territory. JMHO

Last edited:

Channahon

Your start time is your start time. If you're running late, call and either talk to a sup or leave a message. That is courtesy, regardless of a job or appointment. Someone is waiting for you to show up.

As far as calling off or no shows, if you're sick you're sick and do yourself a favor and stay home.

If you're a no show, then you're sending the message this job is not important to you, so UPS may take the position, you're not important to them.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
our turnover rate is 125% (is that even possible).....yeah we're a bunch of winners here :w00t:

I'm sure its possible but I don't know how. I spoke to a training sup the week after I started and she said they hired something like 535 new people on a full staffing plan of 580 for Twilight. Day is full staffed at about 135 or so, I think. For Day, they hired about 100 new people. Anyone want to guess how many of those 600 odd people still work for UPS? -Rocky