Getting Fired

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I am certain you all understand my position on attendance issues now. For this I must thank you Frunas! Good night and good luck!!

Frunas

I'm still waiting for my letter, the relayed message of my termination was on 04/26/2010 human resources told me my actual termination date was the 30th and it is now may 3rd.

upsgrunt

. And in any other case or job if your employee doesnt show up to work wouldn't it also be a courtesy to call your employee and make sure everything is ok ?

I think the term for a person who would make such a phone call would be "mother", or "babysitter".

Sick of Intimidation

Frunas. I think your best move right now is to fill out some FMLA forms ASAP and take them to your local Teamster hall and explain yourself. Maybe your BA can fax them over to your UPS center.

Sick of Intimidation

The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) of 1993 was enacted during the administration of President Clinton. The act is a labor-related law that permits an employee to take an unpaid leave of absence from a job, under two types of conditions. First, if an employee becomes ill and is unable to perform his or her job, that individual would qualify for leave under the act. Second, if a family member is ill or an employee has to care for a newly born child, that worker can take a leave of absence. A person also can apply for leave if the employee has adopted a child. I know, Frunas, i'm a genius. I remember when this happened and Clinton was looking quite happy when he signed it. Maybe he was getting a Lewinski while signing the bill into law.

T Princess Local 866

Call the Hall, they can hook you up with your steward. It's on the back of your contract book. A book you should read and know word for word. I don't know if they can help you as a no show no call for 5 days. The number is 973-923-7070. They can point you in the right direction. One thing the union can't help with is late/and no calls. They can only try. Hope this helped.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Well...it certainly happened to me. Got the call on Friday of my vacation week and the certified letter showed up the next day. I think Sword said one of his terminations was handled this way too.
Let me rephrase. As someone else already said, they can do anything they want, does mean it will stick. This is often by design. Your termination should have been quickly thwarted with a point of order at the local level hearing. In my local a phone call from the business agent to the labor manager would have put that to bed before you missed a click.

thebrownbox

Reminds me of something going on at my center too.. this guy has been working at the same building for 16 years.. so the manager tells him he needs some ID and needs to go to the DMV to get it.. guy has not been back to work in about 1 1/2 month.. Has the end of this month to show up or he is gone.

Supervisor thinks he's running from something.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Reminds me of something going on at my center too.. this guy has been working at the same building for 16 years.. so the manager tells him he needs some ID and needs to go to the DMV to get it.. guy has not been back to work in about 1 1/2 month.. Has the end of this month to show up or he is gone.

Supervisor thinks he's running from something.

Was this a result of the I-9 verification?

thebrownbox

Nope, our center now requires everyone to have ID's on hand when working.. HR just needed to see a form of ID (my DL) I just got mine last month for almost working 2 1/2 years...

I can't see how one would throw away 16 years for something so friggen simple as going to the DMV and getting a ID card.