Getting on Full-Time

cook32nd

I have only been with UPS a month now and just gained my seniority. I am a package handler in a major mid-west hub. I can't seem to find out how to get put on for full-time ( this list I keep hearing about). Just how long does it take to go full-time and are there other positions other than driver to go full-time ( just wondering). Also, I hear a great deal of full-timers have a college degree of some sort. Is this a requirement in order to become a full-time employee or does it not matter that you have a degree ( even to become a driver)? I guess my questions could go on forever because it seems like information is somewhat secretive when asking around the hub. It's like the managers and supervisors think , "Well, he's not going to get my job! " That seems to me to rarely even be the case, however, that just seems to be the dispositon I see. Finally this. When one is a part-time package handler, all their medical benefits are paid, but the instant that they go for supervisor, their medical they have to pay for and then they become salaried. Why is this so, it seems like you are punished for making an accomplishment? Any and all input on this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Keepingthemhonest

Bring'n sexy back
You don't need a college degree unless you are going for manager (preload driver sups fulltime management) and many fulltime management people haven't completed their degree. Being a driver requires you to take Specialized High Intensity Training, S.H.I.T for short. UPS prides themselves on how much **** they give their new hires. UPS's **** program is the best **** in this synergized world...joking aside there are many full time opportunities but in most hubs it will take you a long and I mean long (7 years in my building) to get it. There is feeder work (semi drivers) who mostly work at night, package drivers who work 8:50am - 9:00pm and inside jobs like clerk, porter (janitor), and 22.3 comboworkers who get no overtime and are glorified parttimers. That's the union side. If you are born with [evil]666[/evil]on your forehead and have a general disregard for human decency then you are qualified to join the management team where you can rape hard working blue collar americans of their lives...every hub is different, I heard that in denver they were hiring package drivers basically off the street... getting them to come in and work for 6months (required by contract) then right into the car they go...all in all I plan on driving in 5 more years when I turn 25 after my first air national guard tour is up and I have my bachelors (something like 1-5 drivers have a bachelors for a variety of reasons....for the most part not many jobs regardless of your education will pay you 80g a year and give you nearly guaranteed work for the rest of your life)

Last edited:

Keepingthemhonest

Bring'n sexy back
From a union side they hire on a 6-1 basis...that is lets say human resources and the district manager approve a new package driver. For every 7 openings 6 must be filled by current part-time employees. If that isn't happening you have to get in contact with your steward and grieve it. They post a notice of the vacancy in a bid normally near the timeclock. A bid is how you get a fulltime spot and is awarded by the most senior person. There is no secret ask your sup or steward.

VoiceOfReason

Telling it like it is
I don't think anyone actually told him HOW to get a full time job. Ask where your bid sheets are hung and start watching them. There are full-time and part-time bid sheets but they are all for full-time jobs. Most of the pat-time eligibe bid sheets will be for full time cut drivers and thats only full time in that when you do work you will be doing 11 hours a day. Your chances of working 5 days a week are not that good. Gotta stick around and sign another bid for an actual route.

I would sign everything you can, you never know when the people above you will be disqualified for whatever reasons and the job falls to you.

cook32nd

Thanks for posting replies about getting on. It seems like I have gotten more information from this web-site than anyone I have asked at the hub myself. I'm not really sure as to the time to wait and get on full-time, does anyone have any idea? I have heard people waiting for years, but come on, how often does that happen? It seems that UPS would have a web-site that showed all the positons offered to full-time applicants and a description of what it entails. Anyone seen anything like that floating on the web? Just thought I would ask! Besides driving the package cars on home and business delivery routes, what other positions does UPS offer? (Sounds kind-of clueless, huh? If I don't ask I won't ever know?) Any and all input would be greatly helpful!

Megansman

Thanks for posting replies about getting on. It seems like I have gotten more information from this web-site than anyone I have asked at the hub myself. I'm not really sure as to the time to wait and get on full-time, does anyone have any idea? I have heard people waiting for years, but come on, how often does that happen? It seems that UPS would have a web-site that showed all the positons offered to full-time applicants and a description of what it entails. Anyone seen anything like that floating on the web? Just thought I would ask! Besides driving the package cars on home and business delivery routes, what other positions does UPS offer? (Sounds kind-of clueless, huh? If I don't ask I won't ever know?) Any and all input would be greatly helpful!

I waited seven years for full time work -- and then only combo, did that for a year, and finally drove after an eight year wait. Now guys are driving after four years part time and complaining...

If you want to drive, start by becoming a Saturday Air Driver -- a good training course for full time driving. And keep asking different people, apparently you haven't found the right ones.

cook32nd

Thanks for the input on the timeline. What is a Saturday-Air Driver and what responsibilities do they have? Also, I haven't seen much as far as pay and compensation when it comes down to it for drivers and the like?

UnionGuy

Thanks for the input on the timeline. What is a Saturday-Air Driver and what responsibilities do they have? Also, I haven't seen much as far as pay and compensation when it comes down to it for drivers and the like?
From my understanding you just deliver NDA on Saturday. Compensation should start at $20/hr.