Getting screwed by the manager and his son....sorry its long but necessary

DorkHead

Sorry to hear about your situation. It basically comes down to the old saying....its not what you know, but who you know. Good luck VooDoo.

wkmac

I think a call to the Corporate Ethics hotline is in order. This behavior is blatantly unethical. There is NO WAY he should be working for daddy.

There's the answer right there from Over. From what I've always heard, no immediate family of anyone who is in a management position.

SandBagger

VooDoo,
File the grievance first thing Monday.Period! That should protect your rights on eligibility for the job at the time the bid was completed. Bids go up for 7 days and then come down. Period! Ineligibile bidders are removed from the list and the job is awarded immediately. Period! It doesn't matter if the actual job is filled today or next month, the "vacancy" is what you bid on and there wouldn't be a bid sheet if there wasn't already a job available. If the job has gone unfilled for some time as you stated, then you need to also file for the "lost wages" you endured while the job has gone unfilled. If there was a job, then there was related work that someone is having to do. (That has probably been handled by putting the extra work on the package drivers while the manager waits out the clock trying to give his son the job.) Be advised that the manager will try to disqualify you during the "training" process so he can then slip his son into the job. For that reason you also need to call the hotline as you have been advised and get the info to corporate HR. That will not only help against future discrimination, but it will validate your grievance. You will also need cooperation from the Steward during your training period for the position that you will certainly get now that you know the rules and how to use them! Sounds like the first thing your center needs is some Steward training and a new business agent! The shop steward isn't also the manager's kid by chance is he???

Good luck and get crackin'....Remember to use the 4 W's when writing your complaint..Who, What, When, Witnesses! Names, dates and times, and specifics are invaluable in getting a complaint resolved.

voodoolord

Trailer Maggot
VooDoo,
File the grievance first thing Monday.Period! That should protect your rights on eligibility for the job at the time the bid was completed. Bids go up for 7 days and then come down. Period! Ineligibile bidders are removed from the list and the job is awarded immediately. Period! It doesn't matter if the actual job is filled today or next month, the "vacancy" is what you bid on and there wouldn't be a bid sheet if there wasn't already a job available. If the job has gone unfilled for some time as you stated, then you need to also file for the "lost wages" you endured while the job has gone unfilled. If there was a job, then there was related work that someone is having to do. (That has probably been handled by putting the extra work on the package drivers while the manager waits out the clock trying to give his son the job.) Be advised that the manager will try to disqualify you during the "training" process so he can then slip his son into the job. For that reason you also need to call the hotline as you have been advised and get the info to corporate HR. That will not only help against future discrimination, but it will validate your grievance. You will also need cooperation from the Steward during your training period for the position that you will certainly get now that you know the rules and how to use them! Sounds like the first thing your center needs is some Steward training and a new business agent! The shop steward isn't also the manager's kid by chance is he???

Good luck and get crackin'....Remember to use the 4 W's when writing your complaint..Who, What, When, Witnesses! Names, dates and times, and specifics are invaluable in getting a complaint resolved.

Thanks sandbagger. The only thing Im worried about is people being pissed at me for starting trouble. We are a very small center.

tieguy

Banned
father and son working in the same building / same sort is definitely a violation of the policy. We never intended to have the son working for the father in such a scenario. call the local hr office or call the corporate hot line. One of the two needs to move to another building or leave.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
father and son working in the same building / same sort is definitely a violation of the policy.

I heard of something similar happening here. I don't recall what the relationship was--brother or uncle--in management but they WERE on the same sort. The member of management got hurt doing hourly work :w00t: (sorry, couldn't resist, Tie) and went on permanent disability. The hourly relative subsequently quit. I know I heard what he took a job doing but it escapes me now. -Rocky

SandBagger

If you're worried about people on the job being pissed at you then you better find a career where you work for yourself only, or get used to being a cabin boy. Age will teach you better...you'll either learn that lesson now or later. :blush:

As you may notice tieguy told you to get right to the HR with the problem but didn't mention anything about filing the complaint. I'd say that is as good as confirmation that you will win the bid job and the back pay too!:thumbup1:

Your call big guy, but I'd prefer to be happy with my new job and pay while someone else is pissed, rather than mad at myself for doing nothing and the poorer for it. What's that old saying? "Better pissed off than pissed on!"

SandBagger

Tieguy wrote:

We never intended to have the son working for the father in such a scenario. call the local hr office or call the corporate hot line. One of the two needs to move to another building or leave.

As I recall that is an integrity issue you just defined so well and the one who has got to go is the manager because he is the one with the integrity problem. Do I need to get out the old policy book for ya? I got one of the good (old) ones that was written when there was still a modicum of integrity left to define. You and I both know all that will be done anyway is a simple reassignment because managers don't eat managers, they feed only on the young and inexperienced!

705red

Browncafe Steward
Look in your contract in the index and look for bidding. Here the company has 10 days to fill that bid position, and you must be qualified to put your name on it to begin with. So you must stand up for your self now and file that grievance or lay down and watch his son get it. If i were you i would file and then ask the son how he likes to unload! I might even say you have your daddy but i have the teamsters!

helenofcalifornia

Really, you must have cojones for the job. If you are worried about pissing anyone off, then don't say anything and let that son run all over everyone. Like said previously, it gets a lot easier as you get older to voice your opinions, especially if they are contrary to the majority. I say file, and have attitude about it. Bring it on!!!! They are wrong, not you. Do it and don't second guess yourself. And call that ethics hotline, this is a FLAGRANT violation!!!

filthpig

One thing I do know about bid sheets is this: they are only posted for a certain period of time. Your contract will specify it. As others said, file a grievance. You'll get the Air driver job, but remember that you will still have to work for this guy.

W

wonderboy$

wow thanks for all the support. I asked our shop stew about the sign up sheet and he said they go to the sheet whan the job is ready to be filled. That means that he would have as much time as he wants before he calls and requests the new air position. Where did you find that 30 day rule?

Can't you people read?

He didn't sign a bid sheet he signed an air sign up sheet indicating his interest in becoming an exception air driver. When a position comes available the person with the highest seniority who's name is on the list will be selected.

The steward gave him good advice.

SandBagger

Wonderboy$ wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoolord
wow thanks for all the support. I asked our shop stew about the sign up sheet and he said they go to the sheet whan the job is ready to be filled. That means that he would have as much time as he wants before he calls and requests the new air position. Where did you find that 30 day rule?

Can't you people read?

He didn't sign a bid sheet he signed an air sign up sheet indicating his interest in becoming an exception air driver. When a position comes available the person with the highest seniority who's name is on the list will be selected.

The steward gave him good advice.

Maybe we can....

VooDoo wrote:
Since then we have lost three people with air driver cards so I kept bugging him about getting me on. He kept blowing me off and then finally posted the air sign up sheet a few weeks ago. After 2 weeks of it up there were only 2 signups on it, me and his son.

That reads like 3 qualified air drivers have quit or been promoted and so it implies there are bid positions to fill. Maybe the fact that we were told the sheet was "posted" was what gave us our sense of agression. Normally only bids are "posted", and sign up sheets are available to be accessed anytime in HR without an acceptable maximum applied to the perspective applicants.

Thanks for the chastening though...I for one will try to do better!:thumbup1:

brown67

I had a talk with our HR person about this a year ago. It was looking like my brother would be laid off from his job and he wanted to work part-time at UPS just for the benefits. I'm a driver. HR said he could work at the same center as me, but had to be hired as a part-timer. He couldn't fill a full-time job as an off the street hire. Start part-time and then could go full time later.

She also said that if either one of us went into management that UPS policy would not allow a relative to supervise another relative. That would mean the manager would be moved to another center so there would be no conflict of interest.

Call your teamster Local and ask to talk with the business agent. They can call UPS hr and explain the conflict of interest.

tieguy

Banned
Tieguy wrote:

As I recall that is an integrity issue you just defined so well and the one who has got to go is the manager because he is the one with the integrity problem. Do I need to get out the old policy book for ya? I got one of the good (old) ones that was written when there was still a modicum of integrity left to define. You and I both know all that will be done anyway is a simple reassignment because managers don't eat managers, they feed only on the young and inexperienced!

I think you're jumping to some big conclusions here. I don't recall seeing anything about any integrity issues. What you do have is a favoritism issue where it either occurs is percieved to occur. In either case the two should not be working the same operation.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Nice work Nick,
I don't think I've ever seen a policy book in my 22 years; How do go about getting one?
Not sure if you got your answer but in case you didn't you can go to upsers and download and print. I have a copy of both the policy manual and code of conduct manual. Good to have on hand.

tieguy

Banned
Nice work Nick,
I don't think I've ever seen a policy book in my 22 years; How do go about getting one?

Your HR department may be able to get you one. Or ask your center manager if you can read through his. All of the managers and divison managers have one. A skim of one is probably all you need. Its pretty dry corporate type language. Nothing earthshaking and no picture of pretty girls to keep it interesting.:happy-very: