Getting Sent home but still getting paid?

Mito86

So I am leaving Ups soon and essentially sense my sups knw this I am usually their first pick to send home, but I would still like to get some hours before I leave. My friend said that if you clock in but they send you home that you can still get your 3 1/2hrs. If true, how does this work?

Like today, I came in on time as usual and after about half an hour my Pt decided to send me home, this is kind of messed up because I get a ride to work, so that person has to drive all the way back to come get me.

satellitedriver

So I am leaving Ups soon and essentially sense my sups knw this I am usually their first pick to send home, but I would still like to get some hours before I leave. My friend said that if you clock in but they send you home that you can still get your 3 1/2hrs. If true, how does this work?

Like today, I came in on time as usual and after about half an hour my Pt decided to send me home, this is kind of messed up because I get a ride to work, so that person has to drive all the way back to come get me.
If you are leaving, leave.
Make a paycheck somewhere else.
Sounds to me like you are just looking for free money

S

speeddemon

His sup knows he is not suppose to send him home if he is to report to work that day. Poawer to you getting paid and not having to work for it. Just another case of UPS sups abusing thier employees and the contract.

bellesotico

BOXstar
Make sure you tell your sup you want your 3 1/2. If they have nothing else for you to do..pushing a broom..folding bags..cleaning...whatever..then you get paid to be at home.

Also going home is by seniority. If they are fat and want to cut people early they should ask by the highest seniority first for volunteers on down the list until they reach the bottom and then begin bouncing the lowest seniority people. Unless you volunteer you get your guaranteed hours.

browniehound

To take it a step farther, full-time employees are guaranteed 8 hours of work if they report to work from what I understand. Its also to be started at your start-time which is somewhere around 815-930 for drivers depending on your location.

During slow times we can have as many as 6 guys without routes to do. If they want to work, management tells them they have to come back at 130 for the day and twi sorts to work the hub.

Unless I'm wrong, these drivers can demand 8 hours starting at their normal start time. I have never seen it done before (all six drivers demanding 8 hours), but I would love to see what the center team would come up with to get them their hours.

Problem is, these drivers don't want to take it on the chin and go out blind (I don't blame them!), don't have the guts to confront the sups, or would just rather go home to catch up on General Hospital and eat doritos on the couch:happy2:.

I would like to witness this just once to see what our center manager could come up with. The thing is, the center manager can always find at least 3 guys who would give up their route for the day and he could probably get 6 guys to take the day off if he was persistent.

I also heard a rumor that if you come to work and are sent home they have to pay you, by law, for about an hour for coming in. I don't know the validity of this statement, but a fellow driver who likes to gossip told me this one. He said its written on those posters that tell you the minimum wage and how much break time you are entitled to.

Again, I don't know how accurate his statement is and I've never heard of anyone at UPS getting paid an hour of time for showing up to work and being sent home.

Has anyone here witnessed any of the above? If so, I would love to read about it:happy2:,

Brownie

I don`t believe from my experience the paid travel time is fact. I have however had times in package car where ,as senior swing driver,chosen to not take any of the covered routes and went home. I was called at home and asked to come back because a situation arose. I was put on the clock from the time I left my house until I punched out at the end of day. I was also paid at times to shuttle other packages to centers on my way home.

drewed

Shankman
To take it a step farther, full-time employees are guaranteed 8 hours of work if they report to work from what I understand. Its also to be started at your start-time which is somewhere around 815-930 for drivers depending on your location.

During slow times we can have as many as 6 guys without routes to do. If they want to work, management tells them they have to come back at 130 for the day and twi sorts to work the hub.

Unless I'm wrong, these drivers can demand 8 hours starting at their normal start time. I have never seen it done before (all six drivers demanding 8 hours), but I would love to see what the center team would come up with to get them their hours.

Problem is, these drivers don't want to take it on the chin and go out blind (I don't blame them!), don't have the guts to confront the sups, or would just rather go home to catch up on General Hospital and eat doritos on the couch:happy2:.

I would like to witness this just once to see what our center manager could come up with. The thing is, the center manager can always find at least 3 guys who would give up their route for the day and he could probably get 6 guys to take the day off if he was persistent.

I also heard a rumor that if you come to work and are sent home they have to pay you, by law, for about an hour for coming in. I don't know the validity of this statement, but a fellow driver who likes to gossip told me this one. He said its written on those posters that tell you the minimum wage and how much break time you are entitled to.

Again, I don't know how accurate his statement is and I've never heard of anyone at UPS getting paid an hour of time for showing up to work and being sent home.

Has anyone here witnessed any of the above? If so, I would love to read about it:happy2:,

Brownie

the minimum for coming in varies state to state, if you come in up here you get 3 hrs pay per WH law, coicendence thats what in the supplement lol

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

Brownie

If all six guys demanded to work at their start times, you would probably get a good laugh watching management flail about trying to deal with it. The laughter would be over the following morning when the layoff notices got handed out.

Nikki

I am interested in this as well.... I have only worked at ups for about 5 months now I started as seasonal and was kept on but they had to "rehire" me in jan because thats how they are suposed to do it. (from what they say)

Anyways so my seniority is from jan instead of october now, i dont know if that has to do with my problem or not, but.... thought id metion it in case..

I have always been able to get at least 4 hours a day working night sort in small sort. Im on secondary 2 and we are always the last to go home, our PT sup changed this last week and now im getting sent home as soon as one person complains about not wanting to go home. even when someone else wants to go home. I havent done anything to cause problems and im usually bagging more than others in my section as well. (without misloads.) im being sent home about 2-3 hours after i get there and im told its because i am lowest on seniority. If noone esle wants to go home i understand getting bumped because im the lowest but theres usually someone who wants to go home....

I cant keep going to work for 10 hours a week that covers my gas and leaves about 30 dollars a week..... can they do this and should i be getting paid the 3.5 hours? (i was told this by someone who works with me, but havent looked into it....

SnowCitizen

can they do this and should i be getting paid the 3.5 hours?

If you tell them you want your 3.5 hours they must give them to you. If you do so they could just lay you off, so you are in a tough spot. Good luck.

It is a shame there are so many part timers who don't realize they are entitled to 3.5 hours as long as they show up on time.

705red

Browncafe Steward
It is a shame there are so many part timers who don't realize they are entitled to 3.5 hours as long as they show up on time.

Who says they have to be ontime? They are guaranteed if they punch in 3.5 hours.

Sounds like the management team is playing a game and over staffing, but once your schedule goes up and you are giving a start time for teh following week you are entitled to that work.

Explain to your sup that you want to work and if he wont listen go to his boss and than get a steward involved.

Cementups

Box Monkey
If you are told you can go home and you leave, then you get paid for time worked. If you are told to go home and say that you want 3.5 and they still want you to go, then you are entitled to 3.5 hours pay. you made the effort to come in, they have to make the effort to pay you. It's in Article 50, Section 1 of our Local supplement.

If you started working in October, those days count towards your seniority. November and December days don't count and then when you are called back in January you add on to those days in October. Talk to your steward and question this 'rehire'. Also if you report to work you are guaranteed 3½ hours pay - it has nothing to do with you being the lowest employee or not having made seniority yet.

Nikki

why does nov and dec not count? i was never called back, i was just kept on. i was told they would have to rehire me but that there wouldnt be a break in me working. I have also told them that id like to keep working, but they say they have to go by seniority and i have to go home.... how do i handle this?