Give your new manager the "silent treatment"

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I really enjoyed Texas--we visited Dallas (watched a Cowboys game), San Antonio and other parts of the state.

Sorry for the tangent--the tumbleweeds comment(s) made me think of the time that I spent there.

Not a tangent, Upstate. A lot of the Yanks visiting the Great State of Texas can't wait to get out. I was born just outside Dallas. I've visited a couple times (that I can remember since we left when I was a toddler and visited several times in the years following the move). Home.....there's no place quite like it. I visited Houston almost 2 years ago and it was close but it wasn't home. Visited Dallas a year ago for a wedding, exited the Boeing 737 I arrived on, took a deep breath and realized, "I'm HOME!"

Austin's nice but I haven't explored it like I have Houston and Dallas. I like Dallas, can't stand Houston. San Antone is on my list, probably a long weekend in the Fall of '08 or Winter '09. -Rocky

moreluck

golden ticket member
Rocky....that's a good reason why I hate going 'home' to Ohio. When we used to take a big whiff in Akron, you got the smell of rubber being made......ick!! If you were lucky, the Quaker Oats Co. was operating and the smell was like freshly popped popcorn. They are no longer there, but the huge grain silos are now condos.

The best smell in Akron is at the Interstate Baking Co.........where they distribute Hostess products......smells of baked bread.

I figure if I live in CA., where the weather is great and there's lots to do, the relatives can come here. I have no desire to see Ohio.....ever again.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I figure if I live in CA., where the weather is great and there's lots to do, the relatives can come here. I have no desire to see Ohio.....ever again.

More, I hear ya on the Rust Belt. My family lives in Illinois. I stood my ground on not going home last Summer to visit. The allergies in the northern Midwest almost kill me. Guess what? My mother and a couple of my siblings boarded an aircraft destined Denver. I feel the same way about relatives: they can come to ME in a beautiful place where there's plenty to do. My mother commented on the beauty of the central Rockies while she was here, saying, "I can see why you love it here." I have two young godchildren--aged 8 and 5 respectively--and the oldest one will start a frequent flier account in the next 12-18 months. He doesn't know it yet but he's going to get to know Chicago's O'Hare International Airport and airports in a couple American cities in the next five years. I doubt he'll complain. He's a curious fella :happy2:. Besides....what little boy doesn't want to visit somebody that spoils him?? We're doing a sort of 'dry-run' for my graduation in a couple weeks, only he's flying with somebody (a brother younger than me). If things go well, I might offer him a ticket to visit me where ever I wind up in the Fall. -Rocky

Trplnkl, I spent 4 years at Reese AFB in Lubbock; in fact, both of my kids were born at Lubbock General Hospital. I didn't mind the tumbleweeds so much as the dust storms and, of course, the tornadoes, which just seemed to love trailer parks. I can recall one time we were downtown having dinner and this dust storm blew through and we could not see our car, which was parked just across the street. I had also heard about car dealerships having to have "hail sales" but thought it was a myth until I went through our first hail storm and saw the damage that hail can cause. I really enjoyed Texas--we visited Dallas (watched a Cowboys game), San Antonio and other parts of the state.

Sorry for the tangent--the tumbleweeds comment(s) made me think of the time that I spent there.
With two kids born in TX, you are almost a naturalized citizen, you can stay if you want(as long as they stay too) LOL
I hear Reese is now an industrial complex, I've heard but don't remember what kind if industry is out there. Almost all the off base housing is gone> Drove through there a few weeks ago and it sure looks different than it did even five years ago, you probably wouldn't recognize the place. Were you a pilot trainee?
But yeah, the sandstorms can get pretty wicked in west Texas.

diesel96

The last year I was a pkg driver never had a reason to speak to our center manager cause he always had other problems to deal with. However the first time we spoke after about two months at a post-work BBQ he asks "How do you like your burger?" I told him medium rare. "Then he asks are you in my center?" I said yeah, and admitted maybe I should come to more PCMs.

myback

it appears there are some people on this site who are no longer employed at ups. why would somebody who no longer works at ups spend time on browncafe, what's the connection?

UPS Lifer

Back in 2000 - It took me 2 days to hit every area in my operation and introduce myself to them. The longest I have ever gone before meeting an employee was 4 days. It was a satellite center I managed out in the Mojave desert (Barstow).

I would never give you the opportunity to dodge me for 6 weeks! Sorry!

I have always felt that your people are your operation - what better way to get to know your operation than to get to know your people!

Forty6and2

I'm Broken
More, I hear ya on the Rust Belt. My family lives in Illinois. I stood my ground on not going home last Summer to visit.

Were you originally from Illinois? That's where I'm from. Now I'm in beautiful Phoenix and I have absolutely no desire to go back to the midwest for ANYTHING. I always use the excuse...."sorry guys ups took away all my vacation when I went cover driving."

I like the idea of giving the manager the "silent treatment." I was on disability for three months at the end of 2007/beginning of 2008 and during that time we switched out a center manager and a DM. Neither of which I have spoken to since I came back in mid March.

moreluck

golden ticket member
:stalker:

You know, we really have to keep the secret about things west of the Mississippi or they'll all want to come. Shhhhhhh!!

rod

Retired 22 years
I thought everything west of the Mississippi was due to fall into the ocean any time now. At least California anyway (the land of fruits and nuts) :peaceful:

browniehound

Sober,
You're nuts! No, just kidding. While I find it a little odd you're entitled to do as you please. If you're the driver you claim to be, I'm sure the management team is fine with you approach.

But my question is, how do you accomplish this? First of all, at my center I have the same sup. and center manager. I had eight years ago. They have been rotated through but were always replaced with people I know and know we are back to the team I had when I first started.

Secondly, don't they call on you to recite the 5 seeing habits, 10-pt. commentary, etc? I can't go a week without me being called out at the PCM to do this.

browniehound

Good answer.

Guess you and I would have problems. I personally believe I should make eye contact with and say hi to everyone I see thats part of the brown family.

Sounds corney Tie (the brown family, lol) , but I have to agree with you. I can't walk past a person in the building without saying "hi". It doesn't matter your position, I just greet the person. I find it akward when the other person (hourly or managenment) won't look me in the eye and say "hi".

browniehound

Back in 2000 - It took me 2 days to hit every area in my operation and introduce myself to them. The longest I have ever gone before meeting an employee was 4 days. It was a satellite center I managed out in the Mojave desert (Barstow).

I would never give you the opportunity to dodge me for 6 weeks! Sorry!

I have always felt that your people are your operation - what better way to get to know your operation than to get to know your people!

Barstow UPSLifer? The only reason I know where Barstow is, is because I made the ride from So. Cal. to Vegas about 4 times.

Man, that is in the middle of no-where. My perception was desert, Barstow, then more desert for miles. How do you run a center out there? I'm guessing the driver can only do about 3 stops an hour since there is nothing but rocks and tumbleweed for tens of miles.

If you can, please respond because I'm curious to know what our drivers do out there. Thanks in advance,

Brownie :peaceful:

moreluck

golden ticket member
Barstow is bustling compared to what it used to be. It's one of the largest Railroad yards in the country. There's also an outlet mall. Catering to the tourists is Barstow Outlet and Tanger Outlet Center which together boasts more than 100 outlet stores now and tons of restaurants. .....and that's just one exit on the I-15. I think Walmart has a huge distribution center out there too.

The very first Del Taco is located there.
Barstow is home to Marine Corps Logistics Base

To me it's still a restroom stop on the way to Vegas.:happy-very:

UPS Lifer

When I had it the Outlet Mall was there. I even paid a visit to the General Mgr because they had an issue with the driver.

There is a supervisor who is responsible for the center but really everything is done by the drivers. There is a lead driver who handles everything. It is a pretty sweet deal! He gets paid to dispatch and take care of any concerns and gets a reduced load between 4-6 hours and gets paid for the office time. Maybe this is why I believe in teamwork. The drivers do take care of each other. Satellite centers are old school. It was a pleasure to work with these folks!

There is around 12 drivers that handle that area and about 3 who deliver the "desert". they average 40 to 60 stops out in the middle of nowhere. Some of the other drivers deliver some resi and business and may have a few desert stops that take them from 10-30 miles into the desert. The whole center averaged around 12.9 SPORH and was just a little under-allowed. Victorville is the main center and Barstow builds a reload to Victorville in the PM and the air shuttle leaves there at 17:30 for Victorville. Barstow is approx an hour from Victorville. In the am the shuttle leaves Ontario drops air in Victorville and continues to Barstow and delivers some of the air.

The center is 2 mobile buildings and is located off the I 40. So if you go to Vegas, you won't see it. But if you head to Laughlin where the London Bridge is....then you pass right by it. It is off the same exit as the Marine Logistics Base is. Blink hard and you pass right by!