Global warming

rickyb

i talked to an EU coworker about how supposedly formerly "communist" cities like prague can have public transit so good that most people dont learn how to drive, and not in north america.

he said the europeans designed their cities in a way which is more efficient, instead of the urban sprawl we have here.

Mike Hudema‏Verified account @MikeHudema

Norway is banning cars from the centre of Oslo. Parking spaces are to be replaced with flower beds.
1f338.png
60km of cycle lanes are being built.
1f6b2.png

Clifton34

I think waste related pollution issues should not to be a problem with the technology we have today. For example according to this article building waste such as plastic and concrete can be reused in construction of new 3D-printed houses. It's not only eco friendly and quick, but also a cheaper way of constructing new buildings. A smart and responsible way of using technology.

rickyb

this book is taught in high schools here. id say in real life civiliation, were about here in the book:

"The semblance of order quickly deteriorates as the majority of the boys turn idle; they give little aid in building shelters, spend their time having fun and begin to develop paranoias about the island. The central paranoia refers to a supposed monster they call the "beast", which they all slowly begin to believe exists on the island. Ralph insists that no such beast exists, but Jack, who has started a power struggle with Ralph, gains a level of control over the group by boldly promising to kill the creature. At one point, Jack summons all of his hunters to hunt down a wild pig, drawing away those assigned to maintain the signal fire. A ship travels by the island, but without the boys' smoke signal to alert the ship's crew, the vessel continues without stopping. Ralph angrily confronts Jack about his failure to maintain the signal; in frustration Jack assaults Piggy, breaking his glasses. The boys subsequently enjoy their first feast. Angered by the failure of the boys to attract potential rescuers, Ralph considers relinquishing his position as leader, but is persuaded not to do so by Piggy, who both understands Ralph's importance and deeply fears what will become of him should Jack take total control."

Lord of the Flies - Wikipedia

rod

Retired 22 years
i talked to an EU coworker about how supposedly formerly "communist" cities like prague can have public transit so good that most people dont learn how to drive, and not in north america.

he said the europeans designed their cities in a way which is more efficient, instead of the urban sprawl we have here.
1f6b2.png

Just about every city of any size in the United States had a great public transportation system established in the early part of the 1900's. Trolly cars, great passenger trains all kinds of ways to get around the city. Then some rich guy from GM persuaded the cities that busses would be better than trollies. By the time buses fell out of grace by the 60-70's it was too late. All the infrastructure (rails) had been rip out of the ground and right of ways sold. .

oldngray

nowhere special
Just about every city of any size in the United States had a great public transportation system established in the early part of the 1900's. Trolly cars, great passenger trains all kinds of ways to get around the city. Then some rich guy from GM persuaded the cities that busses would be better than trollies. By the time buses fell out of grace by the 60-70's it was too late. All the infrastructure (rails) had been rip out of the ground and right of ways sold. .

Trolly is OK for dense urban areas but doen't work well in spread out suburbs.

vantexan

Kind of a chicken-and-egg argument. We have suburbs because of the car. Europe had built up dense urban areas before cars and still has great public transportation. If the working class keeps getting poorer we're going to have to come up with public transportation alternatives to get them to work. And start building multi-use neighborhoods.

rickyb

yea i heard of the auto industry's conspiracy to rip up america's public trolley system too.

rod

Retired 22 years

I would disagree. A couple of years ago we road the light rail system from where my daughter lives in a suburb about 25 miles into the heart of Dallas. Easy-peasy. We have also used the subway-light rail in Washington D.C. and had no problems at all. If all the tracks and right of ways had been kept intact in all the little towns from years ago building more mass transit systems would be cheap and easy to do. Right now they keep tearing up miles and miles of railroad tracks to make biking and hiking trails. Some day all this will be regreted too.

oldngray

nowhere special
I would disagree. A couple of years ago we road the light rail system from where my daughter lives in a suburb about 25 miles into the heart of Dallas. Easy-peasy. We have also used the subway-light rail in Washington D.C. and had no problems at all. If all the tracks and right of ways had been kept intact in all the little towns from years ago building more mass transit systems would be cheap and easy to do. Right now they keep tearing up miles and miles of railroad tracks to make biking and hiking trails. Some day all this will be regreted too.

They do a park and ride here. But you still need to drive to a place to get on the bus. They also tried a light rail system in part of the city and it was a big failure.

rod

Retired 22 years
They do a park and ride here. But you still need to drive to a place to get on the bus. They also tried a light rail system in part of the city and it was a big failure.
The light rail system in the Twin Cities seems to be going pretty good. They keep expanding it about every year. The only thing they have trouble with is running over drunks in the sport stadium area of Minneapolis. It seems those drunks have a hard time noticing a BIG rail car set up with flashing lights, bells and horns coming up behind them as the walk where they aren't suppose to.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I would disagree. A couple of years ago we road the light rail system from where my daughter lives in a suburb about 25 miles into the heart of Dallas. Easy-peasy. We have also used the subway-light rail in Washington D.C. and had no problems at all. If all the tracks and right of ways had been kept intact in all the little towns from years ago building more mass transit systems would be cheap and easy to do. Right now they keep tearing up miles and miles of railroad tracks to make biking and hiking trails. Some day all this will be regretted too.
Did y'all walk out the front door without riding in a car to get on the train?

rod

Retired 22 years
Did y'all walk out the front door without riding in a car to get on the train?
To get into D.C. we walked across the street from out hotel in Alexandria, Va. At my daughters we drove about a mile to the light rail station. Why do you ask? You do realize that even in the hay-day of trollies people had to walk or ride to the trolly

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
To get into D.C. we walked across the street from out hotel in Alexandria, Va. At my daughters we drove about a mile to the light rail station. Why do you ask? You do realize that even in the hay-day of trolleys people had to walk or ride to the trolley
The discussion had drifted to elimination of cars.
If you ride in your car to the train station/stop, that is an improvement but not the desired final results.

Atlanta has huge parking lots at the MARTA rail system stops and they are usually full.
I think MARTA is fairly safe to ride.

rod

Retired 22 years
The discussion had drifted to elimination of cars.
If you ride in your car to the train station/stop, that is an improvement but not the desired final results.

Atlanta has huge parking lots at the MARTA rail system stops and they are usually full.
I think MARTA is fairly safe to ride.

I just like to argue for the hell of it.

rickyb

a big part of mike moores 11/9 movie is about the politicians knowingly poisoning the people of flint michigan including 10,000 youth and i think this narrative will age well as the DOD and whoever has briefed, trump, obama, bush on global warming and yet they stuck their heads in the sand and doubled down.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
a big part of mike moores 11/9 movie is about the politicians knowingly poisoning the people of flint michigan including 10,000 youth and i think this narrative will age well as the DOD and whoever has briefed, trump, obama, bush on global warming and yet they stuck their heads in the sand and doubled down.
wrong

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Mike Hudema‏Verified account @MikeHudema

Norway is banning cars from the centre of Oslo. Parking spaces are to be replaced with flower beds.
1f338.png
60km of cycle lanes are being built.
1f6b2.png
Ever ride a friggin' bike in cold weather? It sucks!