Global warming

rod

Retired 22 years
Global warming? Bull %&*$. Up until the third week in May we still had ice covered lakes. From then until now it has been one cool/rainy day after another with it hitting 70 degrees maybe only a couple of times. You know it been cold in Minnesota because its now June 3rd and the mosquitoes still haven't hatched. Its going to be one hell of a short summer around here.

BrownArmy

For a gazillion years, weather cycles happened........now the world is loaded with Chicken Littles .

Here's the thing though, we haven't lived on this planet for a 'gazillion' years.

Our planet has gone through massive CO2/temperature/climate shifts in the last 6,000,000,000+ years, obviously.

Human existence on this planet (in terms of the age of the Earth) is a tiny, insignificant blip.

Climate and weather are two different topics, however, ninety percent of scientists agree that human industrial activity has had an effect on our aggregate ecological system.

Are tornadoes caused by global warming? Probably not.

Hurricanes? We don't have enough data. Maybe (probably not).

Is glacier melt at the poles caused by global warming? Maybe; there's enough data to suggest that humans have an influence, but again, we haven't been around long enough to collect enough data to draw a statistically convincing mathematical portrait.

But...

Having said all that, I think a more important thing to pay attention to is the fact that we're polluting our air and water to such an extent that we're destroying our capacity to live on this planet.

(P.S. the Earth has an approximately sixty-mile bubble of atmosphere surrounding the planet...after that there's......A BUNCH OF NOTHING, FOR A 'GAZILLION' MILES).

Maybe we should listen to some of the 'chicken-littles', who are sounding the canary-in-the-coal-mine call.

No matter what happens, the Earth will live on without us (for at least 2.8 billion years, until our sun goes nova and the Earth gets roasted and ultimately consumed by the dying sun).

It would be nice to be able to live out another 10,000 years as a species on this planet, instead of dying in our self-imposed noxious chemical soup.

tourists24

Is Mr Gore still flying around is his gas guzzling plane? He did move into a very small house now didn't he? Practice what you preach. Or is it possible that we aren't actually making the temperatures go up by just our doings? I have a 1700 sq ft home and own 2 cars. I have only flown on any kind of plane once in the past 5 years

klein

Für Meno :)
It's still in my life that LA, NY, and the Great Lake area citys had heavy smog.
Does anybody think it was a bad idea, that we managed to control it now ?
Or does anyone think we shall just let it be, as in China's bad smog problem (hang on - they are catching up now, too - slowly)...
I rather breath clean air - and it must be good for the atmosphere, too.

moreluck

golden ticket member
We should "cool it" 'til China's numbers are as good as us with the smog. Why should it be all one sided......it's all common air. We eventually all breathe it.
Let those that do nothing ......catch up.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Just in time for Obama’s big speech on global warming.

Via French Tribune:
Climate scientists have given figures of rising and changing climate. These figures are almost like a warning that states that escalating temperatures are equivalent to four Hiroshima bombs in a week.

They’ve completely attributed the condition to human actions. This is not an unknown fact that humans have been emitting more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere in this era. This is far more emissions released during any period in history.

“All these heat-trapping greenhouse gases in our atmosphere mean … our planet has been building up heat at the rate of about four Hiroshima bombs every second – consider that going continuously for several decades”, John Cook, Climate Communication Fellow from the Global Change Institute at the University of Queensland said.

moreluck

golden ticket member
What is your point?
There is no global warming and if there is any rise in temps., it's because of cycles occurring for millions of years........Obama is playing chicken little to panic the people.
The Goracle is also a false prophet.

Global warming is made up and is a distraction from all the scandals going on. If there's 10 scientists to prove global warming, there are also 10 scientists to dis-prove it.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
There is no global warming and if there is any rise in temps., it's because of cycles occurring for millions of years........Obama is playing chicken little to panic the people.
The Goracle is also a false prophet.

Global warming is made up and is a distraction from all the scandals going on. If there's 10 scientists to prove global warming, there are also 10 scientists to dis-prove it.
Not really:
The scientific opinion on climate change is that the Earth's climate system is unequivocally warming, and it is more than 90% certain that humans are causing most of it through activities that increase concentrations of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, such as deforestation and burning fossil fuels.
click

moreluck

golden ticket member
Obama will present all kinds of regulations and will bypass congress to pass them.
You'd think he could use China & Russia as "friends" to this global warming crap........but we are kind of on the outs with them both.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Obama will present all kinds of regulations and will bypass congress to pass them.
You'd think he could use China & Russia as "friends" to this global warming crap........but we are kind of on the outs with them both.
I will have to read about his comments later because as soon as I hear his voice, I switch to Pawn Stars.......same reaction to Piers Morgan too.

moreluck

golden ticket member
No surprise.

Via Daily Caller:
Under pressure from environmentalists, President Barack Obama’s new plan to tackle global warming relies on executive power to corral power plants.

The president calls for the Environmental Protection Agency to “expeditiously” set limits on carbon dioxide emissions for new and existing power plants, a move that will be hailed by environmentalists and decried as debilitating by the struggling coal industry.

“To accomplish these goals, President Obama is issuing a Presidential Memorandum directing the Environmental Protection Agency to work expeditiously to complete carbon pollution standards for both new and existing power plants,” states the Obama plan. “This work will build on the successful first-term effort to develop greenhouse

moreluck

golden ticket member
133863_600.jpg